Rolling Thunder Forums

Industrial complexes

Prospective

Chief Planner,

I believe Krelnett_of_Kraan was referring to the reduction of the maximum-number-of-mines to the last point where the increase from new mine production still exceeds production from an equal number of stripmine/industrial complexes. This point of equilibrium would change with the increased productivity of improved complexes.

:thumbsup:

Indeed yes, and we do not disagree in the slightest on the calculation changes vis a vis the cost of production of the resources necessary to employ population.

However, we see it slightly differently. From our perspective the choice is not one with new production, but with balencing ICs & SMs against Mines......

But, use what ever is best for your circumstances

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, more questions about IC's.

The rules state: Each Industrial Complex can assemble 250 tons of materials per turn into final products.

Assuming I start with 85,000 Strip mines, and decide to take the total output from said strip mines (85,000,000 tons of Raw Resources) and convert to Iron, how many IC's will I require?

Since the 85,000,000 tons is raw resources, the total output (1/10th of input) would be 85,000 tons of Iron. If I take the 85,000 tons and divide by 250 tons/IC, then I'd need to plan to have 340 IC's doing the work?

OR,

Are the required # of IC's based on the tonnage of RR input? Then it would be 85,000,000 tons of RR divided by 250 tons/IC resulting in the use of 340,000 IC's???

Please advise.

Prospective, see if this helps:

Say you want 1,000,000 tons of steel. Iron is converted to steel at a ration of 3:1, therefore you need 3,000,000 tons of iron. If you have sufficient iron mines they can produce this amount for you. If you need to convert from raw resources, this is a further 10:1 ratio.

So to work out how many IC you'll use (each IC assembles 250 tons):

Converting iron to steel requires [(1,000,000*3)/250]= 12,000 IC

To convert raw resources to iron requires [(3,000,000*10)/250]= 120,000 IC

for a grand total of 132,000 IC.

Check the player aids in the download area of RTG, as they're quite useful, and would explain the mechanics of it quite well. Also check past posts, as I seem to remember a couple of threads going into this. I'm also sure a few of the others here will be able to explain better than my crazed scrawl!

From the answers above, it seems as though my second example is correct...I think....

According to a response from ali-t-akua (from a separate post), I'll have 85,000 stripminers on my initial setup. So, each turn, they'll produce 85,000,000 raw resources. Assuming I don't stockpile raw resources (is there any good reason to stockpile RR's by the way?) and want to convert it into Iron (or whatever), I'll end up with 85,000 tons of iron (after being run through the IC's).

I'll also have 450,000 IC's at startup. So, if I feed in 85,000,000 tons of raw resources, that will use how many IC"s?

It seems as though you take the 85,000,000 tons and divide it by 250 tons/IC, resulting in the use of 340,000 IC's to convert RR into Iron. True?

From the answers above, it seems as though my second example is correct...I think....

According to a response from ali-t-akua (from a separate post), I'll have 85,000 stripminers on my initial setup. So, each turn, they'll produce 85,000,000 raw resources. Assuming I don't stockpile raw resources (is there any good reason to stockpile RR's by the way?) and want to convert it into Iron (or whatever), I'll end up with 85,000 tons of iron (after being run through the IC's).

I'll also have 450,000 IC's at startup. So, if I feed in 85,000,000 tons of raw resources, that will use how many IC"s?

It seems as though you take the 85,000,000 tons and divide it by 250 tons/IC, resulting in the use of 340,000 IC's to convert RR into Iron. True?

450,000 IC's * 250 = 112,500,000 industrial output capacity

Processing 85,000,000 Raw Resources into 8,500,000 Iron would require 85,000,000 industrial output capacity, leaving 27,500,000 for other things.

For example, if you used the rest of your capacity to then convert that Iron into Steel, you could make 2,833,333 Steel out of that 8,500,000 Iron (because it takes 3 Iron to create 1 Steel). This would require 8,499,999 more industrial capacity, leaving you with 27,500,000 - 8,499,999 = 19,000,001 capacity.

You could then convert that 2,833,333 Steel into 566,666 Cargo Bays (because it takes 5 Steel for each 1 Cargo Bay). This would require another 2,833,330 industrial capacity, leaving you with 19,000,001 - 2,833,330 = 16,166,671 capacity.

Did all that by hand - I hope I didn't foul it up :D

The 16 million you have left can actually produce quite a bit. It doesn't sound like a lot compared to the 112.5 mission that you started with, but if you had Iron in stockpile, dug up by Iron Mines, you could produce many more Cargo Bays. Why you're building nothing but Cargo Bays is beyond my comprehension. Somebody might come around and, longing for your Cargo Bays, will probably attack you, winning the The Great Cargo Bay War :P

Increasing your 112,500,000 and/or bringing in pure forms of resources (Iron, Crystals, etc) instead of relying on Raw Resource conversion for everything will increase your industrial capabilities significantly.

This once again illustrates why our Industrial Capacity Equivalent currency is better to use than the Raw Resource Equivalent standard. If you know the 'cost' of Steel is 33 tons, you divide your industrial capacity by 33 and you know how many you can make!

Btw, our player has been in this game from the beginning (though we haven't) and he has a really detailed spreadsheet he could share, if anyone were interested. Automatically calculates the amount of power used by shipyards based on how much shipping is being built (though we're now told they haven't been using power anyway), warns you if you're under-producing any items, automatically calculates resource yields based off geological data, etc. Let us know if you're interested.

Pete,

Once again, thanks for the reply. I believe I'm getting a handle on production. Of course, the spreadsheet from Krelnett_of_Kraan would prevent me from having to hand calculate things.

Krelnett_of_Kraan, would you be so kind as to email a copy of the spreadsheet you are referring to? I downloaded the one on the player aid website (Basic Production I believe it was called) but have struggled to comprehend it's workings. Is your spreadsheet in excel form? You can get my email address by clicking on my name. Hopefully that will be shielded from spam snoopers.

Thanks all, I'm really looking forward to getting into the game.

Steve

is there any good reason to stockpile RR's by the way?)

You will have a stockpile at the beginning as your SMs run on the setup turn. As Once you get started you can easily consume more RR than your SMs produce so that stockpile is useful. (And frankly if you have a little bit of trouble getting your production tuned as I did in the first couple of turns, the stockpile will grow a little more.)

One important thing to remember that is easily forgotten in the beginning is that always have an end BI with Iron of massive quantities. This will soak up any excess production you have left either by intent or mistake and turn it into Iron. And you can never have too much Iron :D

Example

BI 9999999999999 Iron 27605 99999 YES

This will make your production build loads of Iron with any excess capacity you have left at the end of the production queue.

Cheers

/Locklyn