Rolling Thunder Forums

Alliances and Wars

Kurassier

Boo please advise why you are at war with the colony? We are still wondering about that? If it's because of a so called violation of GSL doctrine could you provide proof. Also would you declare war on the voice since they violated GSL rules.

Please be advised the Colony is neutral with all bordering empires. We are concerned about the Bene Gesserit but have no open hostilities. We are working towards a trade pact with WKE. Have established a trade pact with the Apshai and have seen 2 other empires including the Eyre.

As I mentioned in a mail, as long as the Acari (Norm) are transversing in your space, I do not think we will be able to set up a joint trading colony. I won't go into the long details on how we reached this point, where I was willing to risk working on such a colony (despite my being a former Minister in the GSL). But I was willing to give you a level of trust and see if we could truely play The Colony and Apshai without regard to the older GSL empires (Concordium and Eyre). As some have pointed out, I can be a trusting person. What can I say, I enjoy playing the game with other people, rather than beating on others for my enjoyment. And that means taking some risks on trust from time to time to build relationships (or enemies if they backstab you :cheers: )

Unfortunately, I do not trust Norm. Even if he promised you he would stay out of the star system where we wanted to interact, I have a feeling he would go back on the promise the moment it suited his purposes.

Still, we do have a border (albiet a armed border). And I'm not going to be the one to break it unless given good reason to.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Concordium (3833) is fighting the NSI (Naptaha Solar Imperium, 3535). The Concordium is in contact with four other races, peacefully.

Also, on the same turn as the big battle with the NSI, several actions after the Vindicator was left standing alone in Diocles space, the Battleship had this encounter:

The Orion Federation # 1179 [3 Brilliant White Starbursts On Midnight Blue Oval]

FS Trailblazer II (Fleet Scout - 10,000 tons)

Ranger Martin Valterra

A Concordium Battleship incinerates an Orion Federation Fleet Scout detected moving into the debris field at Diocles warp point 59201

JUSTINIAN -- since you are using the same avatar as TOF did in it's one post ... I'm wondering if you may be the TOF?

Hey, you're somewhere in the vicinity of the Thamian homeworld, then! The Orion Federation showed up just as I was putting the finishing touches on a 40-turn defensive building spree. If you happen across Zdebor, stay away from the 4th planet unless you've got a good-sized fleet.

Gary,

As I said earlier on the "considered playing" thread

Posted on: Sep 16 2004, 01:57 PM

Not all of the Phoenix Alliance are a dastardly evil power hungry mad mob  There are some damn fine players in there worthy of respect as well as some real good people who just happen to be on the "Dark Side"  The real big bad they've done in many aliens eyeglobs so far is to ally themselves with the Eyre and MMBs other personalities...but apparently the bait he used was too good to let go...

And:

Look at the Phoenix Alliance as you would any other, they have a collection of individuals, and those are always tricky  Rick is a cool guy and some of the nicer people I've met in the game actually were PAs so that goes to tell. I'd guess if you want to play a more aggressive Empire with a lot of territorial ambitions you'd join with them. Otherwise go with one of the other groupings. Anyways, don't decide right off the bat, while being in an alliance will help you information wise you can gain most of that info and aid from players on the boards without commitment.

The "more aggressive" comment builds on what you yourself has posted:

The same way people won and lost in SN II.

Do you really think, every one is going to play this game forever and not use their cool ships, except to explore? Every one will be satisfied to just wait 5 years for the mk XV planet buster, and then say cool and never use it or only use it in a test battle with an ally?

And your initial charter:

We ensure the liberty of the beings within our 517 system sphere of control through an active and aggressive expansion of our buffer zones.

Especially that active and aggressive expansion part comes to mind when how to approach a PA Empire. Lately there have been alot of "accidental" battles involving explorer ships some of whom I know you are familiar with. Such things happen in space and reparations can always be made. Personally the GGT has a 5 warps out DMZ where we allow no other ships than the GGT or Vietarmis ships. Armed pickets are set and should someone stumble into them and be destroyed I would offer reparations and discuss borders. Other than that I am quite content within my borders. I have solid and good allies in our local Vietarmis group, which is growing with new members from new contacts and I have good relationship with the local PA Empire whose player is an upright standing dude whom I have nothing but respect for. I am not at war with the Phoenix Arisen, I'm at war with all incarnations of MMB since there never has been a dividing line for him about his empires. :ranting:

One of the most outstanding players and people I've met was actually once a PA member, Darrin Andersson. He really should come back to the game, that would rock the boat :cheers::cheers:

Actually, I'm not playing to win per se. I have a specific goal in mind for the GGT Empire, other goals for my other empires but most of them involve exploring the game rather than playing a wargame. But, not being that stupid, I also believe on peace through superior firepower. If attacked I will do my damndest to grind my attacker down, maybe I won't be able to defeat him but I will be able to damage him enough that someone else will feed on him. I've never quit, especially when in a losing position, it just feeds the flames... :cheers:

Oh a ploy to lure me into the PA membership!? Wohoo...whatever knowledge could I have that would be so interesting... :ranting: Not gonna happen...But I like dealing with gentlemen like Bob and some of your other members are also very cool people. :cheers:

As for the old GSL requiring PDFs and such. We worked on a much more closer level with people being experts in various areas and being able to give each other advice based on turns or on information freely shared in our forum since we knew all members had sent their turns to our Leader. All but MMB of course. There was an enourmous amount of advice, as well as discussion on rules, charters et such as we were basically a democracy and in the end we were betrayed by MMB not wanting to follow the same rules that he had helped to formulate and put in place initially. MMB was and is a skilled player who also seemed to have a pipeline to Pete but he played for himself first and foremost and used the group to gain a leverage for himself and once we demanded the same level of commitment from him as from everyone else he vanished without following the rules he had himself setup. The PA equals Democracy with mobrule on one of their links so I guess that is why MMB left for the PA instead. Anyhows, the GSL dissolved but I think the spirit of it remains in many of the local alliances of old GSL members that have met up in the game. :D

Again I have no beef with the Phoenix Arisen with my GGT. How it will develop is a matter of time and the actions of any PA Empires that come into Vietarmis space. If you want trade then you are welcome. If you are out for an aggressive expansion of your buffer zones, then we might just buffer you back so let's talk instead. As the honored Boo said, if the PA has a mutual defense agreement then we will come to blows sooner or later as I will attack any incarnations of MMB that I come across in the game so please clarify this position for me?

As for the scheme to get hold of you-know-what technology you should have realised from the beginning that that sort of information was never going to leave my scaly claws. :D

I shall now end this brief statement with the hope of everyone having a good turn making weekend. I shall swing a beer in your collective salutations tonight.

:cheers:

/Locklyn

Gary Carpenter Posted: Oct 14 2004, 06:11 PM
WOW. The PA requires no information from its members, and picks its members based on previous good play, or one of the PA knowing the player From previous games. Lately, we have been warning new players that want to join that they will probably be attacked, when they meet someone.

Why the "wow?" In all candor, you intentionally built the image you have on the boards bit by bit. Even after you cultivated that image, you dug deep in the trough and under a large rock to actually recruit MMB. There is only one reason to recruit him and it sure isn't that he "appears" good. Then when called out by Locklyn for your reason, you fein shock? And then you further wonder why you have to explain your situation to new players?

I don't mind the image you built if that was your goal. Good for your success at reaching your goal. But do you really expect that image, now built, or the motivation, thinly veiled, to be invisible to the rest of us? It's just a question.

You are correct, The PA has not vieiled, that should give some credibility, unlike, those that say one thing and do another..

I said Martin appears to be a good player, IE high quality, knows what he is doing, NOT referring to him as white hat. You could not figure that out?

From my point of view, I only point out where people are wrong, and they can not take it.

Anyway, I think the PA has found out who the enemy is, almost without firing a shot.

BOO, PA lets itts players do what they want, we do not, require anything. Such as, Phasedragon can be a loyal PA member, and he does not have to aid us in any way against Etermus, of course on the flip side, he can not aid etermus in any way either.

I shall now end this brief statement with the hope of everyone having a good turn making weekend. I shall swing a beer in your collective salutations tonight.

:D

I'll 'second' that. :cheers:

Krelnett said it nicely: we've built a community here. :D

Might I add -- I think we have a very unique gathering of PBMers playing this game.

No matter what goes down, I raise my glass to you all...every one of you.

I really hope we can meet face to face in the future. A lot of preconceptions might be shattered in the process. :cheers:

Is it me, or has our whole galaxy gone banana's?

Glad I'm hiding under the kitchen sink! :D:D:cheers:

Is there room for me as well?

OOC: Just for the record the Mantodea Empire is the only empire that I am running, and my name is Norm... I am starting to run into a few other players and I wanted to assure people that we are not the same person.

As I mentioned in a mail, as long as the Acari (Norm) are transversing in your space, I do not think we will be able to set up a joint trading colony.

Unfortunately, I do not trust Norm. Even if he promised you he would stay out of the star system where we wanted to interact, I have a feeling he would go back on the promise the moment it suited his purposes.

Ken, dear Ken,

Your trust is not required. I have never offered anthing to you, have made no deals, agreed to no borders. Your complaint has been a complete lack of communication from the onset. That was a purposeful decision. No communications means no chance of misinterpreting deals. There is no "backstabbing" going on here. I encountered you, I found your HW and you are going to be beaten to a pulp. Your trust is irrelevant. I just hope you can muster enough of a defense to make it worth the money to issue the orders to beat you.

Of course you can always call in the cavalry to protect you. That should make it interesting.

BOO, PA lets itts players do what they want, we do not, require anything. Such as, Phasedragon can be a loyal PA member, and he does not have to aid us in any way against Etermus, of course on the flip side, he can not aid etermus in any way either.

Thank you Mr. Bates(Gary).

This implies that any and all diplomatic relations should be done on an individual basis, if I understand you correctly.

Boo Consulate

I'll 'second' that. :rolleyes:

Krelnett said it nicely: we've built a community here. :P

Might I add -- I think we have a very unique gathering of PBMers playing this game.

No matter what goes down, I raise my glass to you all...every one of you.

I really hope we can meet face to face in the future. A lot of preconceptions might be shattered in the process. :D

Agreed:-) :D

As I mentioned in a mail, as long as the Acari (Norm) are transversing in your space, I do not think we will be able to set up a joint trading colony. 

Unfortunately, I do not trust Norm.  Even if he promised you he would stay out of the star system where we wanted to interact, I have a feeling he would go back on the promise the moment it suited his purposes. 

Ken, dear Ken,

Your trust is not required. I have never offered anthing to you, have made no deals, agreed to no borders. Your complaint has been a complete lack of communication from the onset. That was a purposeful decision. No communications means no chance of misinterpreting deals. There is no "backstabbing" going on here. I encountered you, I found your HW and you are going to be beaten to a pulp. Your trust is irrelevant. I just hope you can muster enough of a defense to make it worth the money to issue the orders to beat you.

Of course you can always call in the cavalry to protect you. That should make it interesting.

Laserwolf

You are a straight shooter, I'll give you that.

Boo Consulate

Well, the players in the PA are who we joined the game to stand against...

Over this side of the pond we weren't allowed to play with the 'American's in SN2....

We had great visions of forming an alliance to stand against the US players who would be just out to get the Europeans - we all knew it - we'd been told so....

It was with great pleasure that we discovered trustworthy, honourable and upstanding US players who weren't like that...

But the PA are.....in fact they could be anybody, but they seem to be a coterie of guys who've long known, or known of, each other....and they've openly stated their intention to drive the rest of us to extinction - which is fine, if they want to treat this as 'just that' sort of game....

Indeed it would be very difficult to play a trustworthy and honourable empire, espousing trade and progress with Intragalactic Peace & Security if someone like the PA didn't exist :rolleyes:

So we expect we'll have to stand against them if they come and bash allies and partners of ours.

However, given that MMB declared us his enemy quite openly, any and all of his 6+ and possibly more to be added empires are expected to be certainly hostile, then we assume they all have to be hunted down and exterminated - always and everywhere......

Lord High Seneschal to Ur-Lord Tedric

We must agree with Ur-Lord Tedric in that the PA add a great element to the game. You cannot have 'good' with out 'evil', plus this game would grow very tedius if all we did was research, trade and hold hands while skipping through the flowers....

The only disapointment I have had is that some of the board chatter seems have to taken a very personal tone, which seem very unfortunate given that this is just a game. But that happens in every thing I suppose.

I can see several situations where my empire would willing work with or against the PA. Who knows in a few more turns I might be the requesting to join them or I might be hunting them. Now that would be sad since I currently need most of my battle fleets hunting someone else down...all alliances aside you stay out of my affairs and I will stay out of yours....

Lord SaHeru

We had great visions of forming an alliance to stand against the US players who would be just out to get the Europeans - we all knew it - we'd been told so....

Well I for one am an American, and have never heard of attacking the Europeans, just because they were European. Now mind you, I'm sure there are some who would, just not me.

Besides, I need my British Ale, German Beer, French/Italian wine, Russian Vodka, etc....... (and of course any combination of the above and others)

I for one have never believed in pigeon holing someone just because of where they are from. I have too many friends around the globe to do something like that.

Is it me, or has our whole galaxy gone banana's?

It's just you! :rolleyes: