Rolling Thunder Forums

Alliances and Wars

Kurassier

No distraction here. It is real simple. PA did not pick up any MMB baggage. MMB brought his baggage and continues to own his baggage. Should his conquest bring him near another PA empire who chooses to assist him, then they will, or not. Demanding that all other alliance members come running to the defense (or offense) of another member is counter-productive. I'm fighting WKE. I do not expect nor demand that the Colony assist. If I were to fight Eternus, we certainly do not demand nor expect Ed to come running.

PA is a group of players intent on winning who believe that they can trust each other and work with each other when the time comes. That's why membership is so picky. We believe we can (and do) work well with MMB and that we can trust him to make good choices. It is not a requirement that the rest of the galaxy trust us nor believe our selection criteria are "credible".

Let me understand this the PA is out to win? At least that is a response that I keep hearing from them. I take this to mean they plan to be the dominate force in this game when it reaches its final conclusion. Now how can you be the dominate force when you have no commitment from your members? The only sense of commitment I have heard about is that if Eternus is attacked by the PA, Ed could not give him support in any form. Ed never has to lift a finger to support the PA at all. So in all reality if one joins the PA they have to do nothing but refrain from supporting a enemy of another PA member? What happens if Ed has a trade agreement with X and then one of the PA guys come along and start attacking? Is Ed forced to cut his ties to this empire?

I simply can not see how the PA expects to be the dominate force in the game when they have no commitments and no real support system. From what they have posted you would be just as well off by making personal neutrality agreements with everyone you meet. It would amount to the same thing or is there something about the PA your not telling everyone? Because at this point with what was said about the PA why should one member trust another when they really have no commitment between members? :cheers:

I fully expect most if not all of the PA membership to fall in line on a "voluntary," albeit "ad hoc" basis to support each other. This free-to-be-free stuff is a mask for coordinated,naked aggression. This is what economists call an oligopoly. It is like Coke and Pepsie. Does anyone really think they aren'y colluding to fix prices? Just because they wink instead of vocalize their assent doesn't mean a conspiracy hasn't been hatched. I am still waiting to be convinced otherwise, of course, but this is how it looks from here.

Honored One Perota

Boo Consulate

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a general rule, I would tend to agree with Honored One Perota. Human (errr, alien) nature is such that you are most likely to support a friend over a stranger. Let's say a PA member (as one example) spends 20+ turns discussing the game, sharing information, etc with its alliance chums. Then along comes some non-aligned alien you've never heard of before. Even if the non-aligned is friendly, the alliance member is more likely to be loyal to his 20+ turn buddies than the new guy. It's just common sense.

Now there are a lot of other factors that would come into play, but that's my general take.

If I were to run into a PA member (or any other alliance member) I would certainly be moving warships into nearby systems in case negotiations fell through.

Alcorn the Honored One

please note that this is an example, I am not pro nor anti the Phoenix Arisen Alliance, MMB, the old GSL or any other alliance (although I might think twice if Turok showed up in one of my systems.... :cheers:

:cheers: long live the greatest alliance of them all, the Holy Brotherhood of Brewmasters!!!! :blink::cheers::cheers:

is there something about the PA your not telling everyone?

Of course there is ...

And of course we would not expect others outside the PA to know about our grand galactic conquest plans and our methodologies toward the acquisition of same.

You know I was thinking, that grand plan you covered is part of Rule of acquisition 231, A Empire.... OOPS, that rule is secret. Sorry

You know I was thinking, that grand plan you covered is part of Rule of acquisition 231, A Empire.... OOPS, that rule is secret. Sorry

And of course we would not expect others outside the PA to know about our grand galactic conquest plans and our methodologies toward the acquisition of same.

Actually, we know the plan in detail. It would seem that your Minister of Libations, errrr, Acquistions, likes to talk when he is inebriated. And after a special bottle of Sabeli Ale....... well, let's just say that we know an awful lot! :cheers:

Of course you know an awful lot. You know exactly what we want you to know. We are not only aware of his loose tongue, he was recruited primarily because of that skill. He's not the brightest light on the tree, so he intensely believes everything we tell him.

We are glad you took the time, resources and investment into getting him to divulge his knowledge. In the meantime, his short-range telepathy secured us your knowledge of the pending deals for Star Barz expansions and the fact that you dilute your beer prior to delivery to all former GSL or Galactic Senate members...

I keep getting maligned (I'm actually not adverse to this since it keeps the RL distractions away).

Let me answer a few:

1. My anscestor were never thrown off riverboats going to New Orleans. We did however fight our way around that area and one of my anscestors actually was part of the liberation force of New Orleans...But hey lets not relive that war.

2. Everyone keeps accusing me of being the bad guy. I have asked Valkor/Galreth on a dozen occassions to answer these questions:

Did you agree to provide me with planetary iformation about the Deliah system as part of our agreement

and :cheers: Did you stop doing this.

Simple...succint. Answer please..

Oh wait..we have to run around and bad mouth multiple players in order to dodge the question. Even Eternus has had discussions about this with me. I'd gladly send the emails with your "agreement" and have even allowed Laserwolf to see the list fo emails which shows a lack of correspondence from you..but I know...claims of deleted emails and changing conversations will abound....

Yawnnn..next subject...at least one more interesting than the screams of Valkor citizens as they pay homage to the Captain after their surrender....(oh and BTW when your ship is captured it is considered a surrender :-)

MartinWHAPO/Moonshadow/Ix (eye patch version :cheers:) et al-

A mini hijack of sorts....

oh and BTW when your ship is captured it is considered a surrender :-)

I asked a question along your expertise in another thread in the Rules forum: Might I ask you to elaborate how one goes about capturing a ship?

The few tests I've run/seen indicate that the Grav weapons simply 'crush' the other ship. Do you need Troop Shuttles/Berthings to capture?

If so - how do you counter pirates? I think these tidbits would be nice rules to know in light of how jam packed into space we all seem to be :blink:

Heaven help anyone caught diluting Bloodwine
and the fact that you dilute your beer prior to delivery to all former GSL or Galactic Senate member

WE NEVER, and I quote NEVER dilute any of our libations. That is something that is always up to the aliens and not something that we would ever recommend.

and actually those ARE fighting words!! :thumbsup:

Now that having been said, we once combined some Bloodwine with some Sabeli Ale, and well, we are still cleaning up the debris from the explosion...... :cheers:

Besides the more they drink the more we make. :ph34r:

Of course you know an awful lot. You know exactly what we want you to know. We are not only aware of his loose tongue, he was recruited primarily because of that skill. He's not the brightest light on the tree, so he intensely believes everything we tell him

OH we know, you are not the only one with mental powers.... :ph34r: