Rolling Thunder Forums

Sociological poll

Kurassier

How old are you?  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now if I could just remember to not think about ship design when I'm in a staff meeting.

This is a bad thing? It's the only thing that keeps me awake at some meetings. What to put in slot 1 SRP. The name of the next galactic design for the NUD order. Which order will I screw up this next turn. That sort of thing.

Octus

:P

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lord Xaar I take your point and I think you are probably correct. I am just insanely jealous of you people who understand computers. I took a look at a "simple" spreadsheet to help me with the running of my Empire. Jeez totally confused. Homer Simpson knows more about his power plant than I know about these damn spreadsheets! Any help (from anybody) would be much appreciated but be warned I would need copious notes.

Regards to you all

PS HBOB Any chance of an extra large celivery this month?

There you see, it's got me in such a state just thinking about it I can't even type correctly.

An extra large DELIVERY would be nice :P

Turok- the reason you can't type is either:

1) You've just finished your last rum/ale shipment

2) You're still trying to type with a cutlass/pistol firmly gripped in your hand

3) You need help.

P.S. Mind you, I also sometimes have difficulty with spread sheets, etc, and I am really in awe of Ed for putting together the whole inter-connected spread sheet thing.

I think what we really need for spreadsheet help is a live class.  I've sent mine to a couple different people and so far they just don't get it.

My work pretty much revolves around spreadsheets (I used to code decent VB, but my responsibilities have moved elsewhere) and in my experience it is next to impossible to look at someone else's sheets and figure them out unless you know their style. I've always figured out stuff when I had to, but many times it was far better to just give in and ask "why in the world are you trying to do this this way..." :ranting:

That said, I am looking forward to having a bit of time to start checking out PhaseDragon's work, it sounds great.

Back to the age thing, I think it is less about the age really then about a mindset. Clearly most of the players on the board also happen to be SF junkies (go figure), and role players -- people that like to daydream, really. There's something deeply satisfying about standing in a crowded subway car and trying to figure out how to beat a high attrition rating on a colony. And even though I'm younger than many of you here, I think you know what I'm getting at... :taz:

I think we are also people who can put up with our non-SN friends harassing us about a game where you pay to not run into other players! (Though that has ceased to be the case now, many of us no doubt put up with a decent amount of good-natured teasing about this particular hobby.) :P

i think youth does make it difficult to actually play the game...

i seem to have a large amount of patience for an 18 year old and am able to play a game like this, I try introducing it to a few friends and my brother and they get bored of it within moments. they ask why don't i play a "good" game like warcraft or command and conquer... :ranting:

i like snrote better just because that it is more realistic in how it works. leaders of nations dont' get nice clear colored aerial views of their troops and move them in seconds. they get spreadsheets and printouts. i appricate the realism while many youth seem to resent it. thankfully there are others like me. I think my semi-gf will be playing quite soon. YAY! :P

hopefully she won't try conquering me to spite me. :taz:

I try introducing it to a few friends and my brother and they get bored of it within moments. they ask why don't i play a "good" game like warcraft or command and conquer...

I hear you loud and clear. I introduced the game to several people upon release...sadly, most of them lost interest. :ranting: In fact, one friend continues to chide me for playing 'spreadsheets in space' :lol:

PBM is lost upon many. Its a deeper game. What makes SNROTE superior to many other PBM games (in my mind) is the open-endedness of the game thus far. I'm sorry, but I've played every computer console space-opera video game on the market for the PC....Master of Orion II is the closest match (MOO3 sucked imho)

Spaceward Ho is fun but goofy....besides....you play the AI.

Here, you have to deal with the quirks and nuances of other people. I'd much rather match wits against a human than a machine any day of the week :P

SNROTE might very well be 'spreadsheets in space'...but once you actually HAVE the spreadsheets figured out and a nice mapping program (or a good system without spreadsheets and a ampping program), the game is much easier to enjoy.

:taz:

Your girlfriend might play? Really? Seriously? This can't be true.

Women have typically been the minority for games like this...but if the MMO/RPG industry is any indication, we are going to see a LOT more female gamers in the near future. The more people the merrier, I say! :thumbsup: I'm good friends with several female gamers...so they do exist! :cheers:

you wouldn't think many youthful girls would play but then again she's insanely mature, a videogame freak, a martial artist, and a very competitive person. (she creepily mature in some ways)

i can already predict what will happen. she'll starta race and what will happen is that she'll find this forum and then summarily read everything in this forum and get pleasure from arranging the information from every corner of this forum. in one day of research she'll know more about the game than me. =P

IMHO MOO II is the best computer game I have ever played bar none... MOO III was such a disappointment..:P

It is sad that there have been no other decent empire space builders since..

I wonder if anyone will ever create a space empire building MMORPG?

PBM is a game of long term planning and patience, neither the forte of the young. My sons look at my maps (about 6' x 4' Visio maps printed on plotter) and think I am insane.. my daughter on the other hand thinks its cool and keeps asking if she can use her crayons to "color" the galaxy... apparently the galaxy is in need of a feminine touch...

Mark