Rolling Thunder Forums

Sociological poll

Kurassier

How old are you?  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Spaceward Ho is fun but goofy....besides....you play the AI.

:thumbsup: I'm good friends with several female gamers...so they do exist! :cheers:

Gods, I remember playing Spaceward Ho! on the loaner Macs back in college! We'd setup two of them in a peer-to-peer and then play hot-seat games with like 7 guys. (whoever wasn't playing would talk about our ongoing game of Diplomacy)

Oh, and I'm marrying a gamer-grrl in 23 days. Go me!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find myself playing MOO II.

Kahless/Valwyn--

I was in law school when I first saw MOO II. We were only allowed six absences per class....I remember that semester well because I burned up four days in a row playing that game :lol: I still play Moo II from time to time, its a classic right up there with Civ II and Diablo II.

Here are some other space theme games I've played/have:

Homeworld (ok not an empire sim but I like it!)

Allegiance (ship to ship PvP frag game that had much potential but failed to gain support early on)

EVE Online (beautiful graphics and soundtrack -- MMO -- single character)

Stars! (empire sim similar to Spaceward Ho but more detailed with multiplayer support -- in fact, "Stars! - Supernova Genesis" by Empire Interactive, is an upcoming one I'm going to get upon release...this game looks to be great - I anticipate near Moo II quality)

Star Trek: Birth of the Federation (GREAT premise...a MOO II copycat but with bad controls...but a fun one far Trekkie fans)

Reach for the Stars (Don't even consider it....it sucks as a space sim...BAD :thumbsup:)

Galactic Civilizations (A space-empire sim I've barely touched...anyone else play it? Looks easier to manage than Moo III but not as cool as Moo II and not as deep as Stars!?)

I remember that name; I'm sure from SN2. "Hi Don" if you are out there.

Paradigm-

I'll pass that along if he hasn't seen it first. :thumbsup: He is a very busy man - and sadly - not involved with SNROTE at this time (but I think he has a Victory empire still running)

Oh, and I'm marrying a gamer-grrl in 23 days. Go me!

Krelnett-

Congratulations! :cheers: I imagine you'll be getting the HBOB discount? :cheers:

Ok - I've got to finish touching up my turns so that I don't hold us up in getting results :ph34r:

Phase, Ascendancy actually runs under Windows XP, just played it the other week! I think it is also available from the underdogs site, home of very many of our favorite old computer games that now are freeware.

Congrats Krelnett and may you spawn many many younglings!

I actually tried to lure my partner into playing SNROE with me, then she gave me a recounting of the expletives I used when I missed out on a vital component which made a 30 order build queue fail or how I sweated last week trying to calculate the fuel usage for a 14,3 million ton military convoy over ten warps and if I had positioned all my fuel ships correctly along the path and my general cursing over allies not being allowed to refuel allied ships.

She also pointed to my multitudes of spreadsheets and quoted what my daughter said, "But dad, where are all the pretty pictures?" She then proceeded to remind of the amount of money I had spent so far in these two years of gaming and what that could have bought me...at this point I was starting to feel despair and probably looked miserable so she ended the discussion with her usual female finesse and kissed me gently and said "But it's okay love, as long as it keeps you happy and in the house" :thumbsup: Female logic is an underestimated MDD! :lol:

I too remember Starmaster, the endless reams of paper you got from them and the infosheets...wohoo...And the UK Kingdoms of Vengenace, Orions Finger, Where Lies The Power and other such excellent games. Many of them went under because they were handmoderated and had excellent quality which drew larger playerbase and then they couldn't keep up with the workload and went under.

We had an alliance based around twenty umeå based players, all of our local rpg club and we were the menace of that universe :cheers: Aaahh...good times...better put on Bruce Springsteen and "Glory Days" now....

Ps. My daughter also thought I should have more colors on my starmap especially pink...Ds

:thumbsup:

/Locklyn

the classsic games for me were descent ( i was like 9-10 at the time) and star wars: rebellion. NOW rebellion, THAT was a game... you picked either the alliance or empire and you had to fight for control of about 200 worlds if you picked the large galaxy. unfortunately the computer wasn't that great. i mean it was hard as hell in the beginning... but then you build the unbeatable fleet with 4 super star destroyers a death star and a few dozen other ships and you crush the rebellion like a bug under a shoe... i need to play again.... hm. best part about the game is that it has diplomacy (diplomacy with each individual world), espinage, R&D, special characters, the whole 9 yards. its like a limited but graphic version of snrote... still very excellent tho. i'd highly recommend it for all you. obviously you aren't into graphic and thats the only thing that the game leaves to be desired. that and no control over planetary invasion. you send them in and hope for a win. ( you do get to pick quantity of forces and such. and if you don't leave enough troops their could be an uprising) it's very downloadable from kazaa or imesh... you can prolly find it on ebay too. maybe ask lucasarts for a copy.

i also am playing civ3 right now with a map that simulates the earth and under the monarch difficulty. as the migthy persians i have subjugated africa, europe, and most of asia. :thumbsup: i'm mopping up chinese/korean/russian/israeli resistance in siberia and i have paratroopers covering the japanese islands preparing for an attack. i'm also running bombers across the americas and bombing the crap out of all native american cities. i also have all the wonders of the world and i am currently developing nuclear weapons that i might use to make south and north america glow. england is the only nation that hasn't felt persian venom but that will soon change once the rest of eurasia is subjugated...

not bad for 1010 AD eh? i don't think so.

oh and congrats on the wedding Krelnett...

and star wars: rebellion. NOW rebellion, THAT was a game...

Starwars: Supremacy, for those of us in the UK. But I've had many enjoyable games.

But anyway, Stars! was a great game. Now must find it and try it out again.....the lack of any dipolmacy though annoyed me. You know just going around killing all the other life out there, and those colonisers were hard to beat.

I am surprised that the average age is as high as it is. I would have thought the vast majority of players would be 20-30 since they are the people raised with computers. I just about manage to turn mine on in the morning and I am in awe of people like Ed Mooney.

Agreed. I was totally shocked to see how many grown-ups are playing. Pleasantly surprised.

Ho, Ho, being over 30 doesn't mean I'm a grown up.

My wife would say the samething about me!

I also tried to coax some of my younger (gamming) friends to give Snrote a try, but some thought it was too expensive and one friend was astounded by my 80+ page turn report...

Oh well, maybe i will try again in another 6 months. :cheers:

It's not so bad. Think of it this way. You're the young mind with fresh ideas. Some of those ideas will work, and some will not. You might develop an idea or pursue a tech that most of us would not just due to it's unusual nature. Down the road that tech becomes a valuable asset to your empire.

Then your underlings will talk about your genius and vision for the galaxy and we will all quiver in fear.

Lord Uriel

the classsic games for me were descent ( i was like 9-10 at the time)

I remember Descent and thought at the time what a great advance in 3D graphics. Of course I had a computer at the time and bought a copy.

I am in the 46+ category by the way.

Besides, I'm one of the 10-years-older guys and this is my first PBeM.

This is my first PBeM too and I am in the 46+ category. (Although I have played in several PBMs including BSE, SN I and Midgard.)

I started wargaming 33 years ago and I still have a copy of that game, Tactics II. I used to play Panzer Blitz with friends all of the time. I started playing D&D when you got several booklets that did not even have most of the rules. You had to buy a copy of Chainmail for that. I could go on but wont.

This game however is attractive for its incredible depth. It is as good as anything I have seen. Kudos to Pete and Russ. :(