Rolling Thunder Forums

Managing industry

athonian

Eterneus,

I'm not totally clear on what having a science type facility build does. For each of the installations, you have typed:

"Useful for Warp surveys and exploration; only 1 needed in star system; improves scientist chance".

My take is that it improves the odds on a SURV order (Useful for Warp surveys...) as well as an EXPL order (... and exploration) and that only 1 is needed per star system for those bonuses.

What I don't clearly understand is the last bit (...improves scientist chance). On the surface, it seems to imply that you have a greater chance of recruiting a scientist. OR does it mean that improves the scientist chances during research (eg: 1 RC putting out 1.01 or more research points)??? Which of these interpretations have you found to be true?

Steve

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't clearly understand is the last bit (...improves scientist chance). On the surface, it seems to imply that you have a greater chance of recruiting a scientist. OR does it mean that improves the scientist chances during research (eg: 1 RC putting out 1.01 or more research points)??? Which of these interpretations have you found to be true?

It means you are more likely to get your scientist to make a technological breakthrough.

"Scientist Beaker makes a minor breakthrough in 1st Generation Planetary Engineering" for example. :cheers:

"Scientist Beaker makes a minor breakthrough in 1st Generation Planetary Engineering" for example. :cheers:

I am glad to see that his long apprenticeship under Bunsen Honeydew finally paid off.

I always wondered just what (species) Beaker belonged to. Now I finally know!

TErnest

(aka Arcane Services, Inc.)

I am glad to see that his long apprenticeship under Bunsen Honeydew finally paid off.

:lol:

Prospective-

I don't know the exact percentage of scientist bonus....:cheers: but I figure it sure doesn't hurt to have the sci installations. I copied the descriptions straight from the Installation list on my turn sheet.

My theory is that each of the Scientist locations add a straight 1% bonus to the scientist's base chance. Their base chance is equal to their level number. Let's say you have a 5th level scientist and all 10 scientist buildings. That would, if this theory is correct, give that scientist a 15% per turn to gain a minor breakthrough in a random tech you currently have assigned at least 1 RC to.

Sakarissa :alien2:

Come now. We know for a fact you keep all your PDFs on the hard drive. It would be simplicity itself to check scientist rankings for each turn and record when you got a hit from any given one.

Come now. We know for a fact you keep all your PDFs on the hard drive. It would be simplicity itself to check scientist rankings for each turn and record when you got a hit from any given one.

you know... i keep all of the pdfs on my hard drive...

and reorganize the information into my own personal formats

i have different word documents for different things

every special event (recruit sci hits etc i keep under a document) and above every turn (its divided in turns) i put the type of government i had and the sci tradition at the time how many sp characters i have, a few other tidbits of info. that way i can refer to it and understand why things happen the way it does.

another interesting thing to note is that prior to my govt switch i had a diplomat for an emporer and i got no sci hit bonuses (limited number of characters)

afterwards i've been getting really good hits every turn... and guess what my new emporer is? that's right. a scientist. =) although each time i get a hit, it is not by the emporer but by someone else.

nothing to do with industry... but its something i've noted looking at my 4 (count em 4!) turn results....

Athonian--

As for keeping all of those different folders, I am using PhaseDragons programs. One of them is the research file. When I first updated it with all of my pdf turn files, 20 of them, it took about 5-10 seconds. It now shows all of the items I have been researching, what I slot oned, all of the items I have finished researching, all of the tech hits, both scientific and explore, and the approx. # of points I have researched on each item, as well as a running tally of approx. how many of my saved points I have left. :(

The other files do equally amazing things to simplify both record keeping and planning. You should check it out. :cheers:

Kahless :taz: