Rolling Thunder Forums

settlers vs colonists

orin

Growth is not automatic at all. You must have a mnimal number of pop on a colony before growth occurs and it isn't always the same number.

This is true (the first part for sure). I have science colonies built with only 5 pop on worlds rated as Extremely High Attrition (Domed City, City, Atronomical Observatory, and 2 science-type installations) and the pop groups never receive any growth or attrition.

Ok, here is the deal. I have a colony with zero unemployed population. The colony is small at 16 or so. It gains 1 pop each turn and then the report says that the pop group loses 1 to attrition. This is immediatley followed by the destruction of 2 installations. When the Oracle was consulted he said that my loss was the net loss which would support the idea that loss happens first. However, if it does happen first it should be reported first. Everything else in the turn report is sequential and this should be no different.

:(:taz:

Ok, here is the deal. I have a colony with zero unemployed population. The colony is small at 16 or so. It gains 1 pop each turn and then the report says that the pop group loses 1 to attrition. This is immediatley followed by the destruction of 2 installations. When the Oracle was consulted he said that my loss was the net loss which would support the idea that loss happens first. However, if it does happen first it should be reported first. Everything else in the turn report is sequential and this should be no different.

:blink::unsure:

Sorry, I must disagree. If the above was true, then I would be loosing two structures a turn and my pop group would be decreasing every turn by 1.

"Population Group XXXXX on Caytlin - 3 realizes reproductive growth of 1 population unit"

"1 Population units perish in Population Group #XXXXX on Caytlin - 3 due to colonial attrition!"

If you are correct then pop group XXXXX on Caytlin - 3 would have a net loss of 1 pop per turn. This is not the case, this pop group, like many others in my empire remain perfectly static and the amount of population never changes.

There is one possibility... We are both correct... Perhaps the results are influenced by Racial Bonuses and Tech. I would be more inclined to belive Racial Bonuses becuase the above has always been the case since I have been playing.

I sort of had the same impression so I pestered the Great Oracle to look at the colony and he did, confirming that everything was working right. I still scratch my head as I watch my pop slowly die and my installations get destroyed 2 at a time when it still says there is only 1 pop dying. I would likely be ok with it if I only had this colony to go by, but I have 30+ colonies myself and many allies colonies to look at for comparisons. This is the only one that acts this way.

It hardly matters now. It has become very apparent that cities, domed cities, Sub cities, colonist traning centers, Imperial medical centers, and fluid conversion plants won't bring this planet down below high attrition. I guess there is something else that will counter Microorganisms because nothing listed above has done anything for the attrition rating.

:blink: