Rolling Thunder Forums

Espionage is in!

Lord Xaar

We do need some more information on how Special Agents work.....

Like the very important, for example, do they follow the relationships (PAP) you've set?

So, if it's an Ally it may tell you certain things about where it is and the sort of tech you see, but won't be assassinating anyone, or destroying anything.

We can't be left in the dark here......and after a re-read we've just seen that the PAP explicitly has no effect......

This is a bit silly.

What we need is a SPY order with some specific choices like the DIP one.....some of those whould be benign, or at least non-aggressive.

M2CW

Lord High Seneschal to Ur-Lord Tedric

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What we need is a SPY order with some specific choices like the DIP one.....some of those whould be benign, or at least non-aggressive.

Hopefully this would include a counterespionage option allowing players to defend in some manner. My preference would be that the spy gets some info reduced by the level of the counterspies under orders with the highest level counterspy on that world or system determining the reduction.

"Alliance settings are ignored, so you can place spies on your ally's worlds and they will function normally (preparing to break that alliance...?)"

It's a shame that Alliance settings are ignored -- at the moment, PAPs are only a means to instruct your fleets who to attack (or not). However, if Special Agents' activities were to take into account your PAPs, then there are opportunities to add more depth to PAP and Special Agents' activities, for instance:

1. Assassinate enemy leaders, sabotage installations: only if your PAP is at war or neutral or has non-aggression pact with the "target" empire.

2. Counter espionage: easier to do the less friendly is your PAP with the other Empire's PAP (ie, your citizens are more likely to be suspicious of the Alien in their midst, and so notice when he/she/it is doing something odd and report it).

3. Gather intelligence, installations: easier to do the more friendly is the "target" empire's PAP to your empire (ie, your spy finds it easier to get around and get into places without being challenged as much, and may even find that the local population is helpful!).

4. Losing spies to turning/defection: easier to do the more friendly is the "target" empire's PAP is to your empire (as your spy makes friends with the local populace, and is less inclined to betray them). In which case, could the Special Agent become a double agent?

In addition, a Special Agent has more chance of being discovered (and therefore "lost") if his/her/its activities are extreme (eg, assassination, sabotage) -- so I would like to see a way of setting the Special Agent's activities to non-hostile so that intelligence gathering can continue for longer before discovery.

Waddya think, Pete/Russ? :cheers:

Len Lorek

The Bush Administration

(A friendly race of space-faring bushes -- not inclined to assassinations or sabotage at all, honest!)

:thumbsup: The Bush Administration is your friend. You can trust the Bush Administration. :cheers:

So....

Those of you who created a race of spy superbeings want to be able to have an order that allows you to send a spy to point in the galaxy that you have not found, cannot locate, and do not have the ability to go there, undetected, without using a ship?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I want the same ability for New Spartan Special Forces!!! I'll only send a few ....

:robot:

Ok, now that I'm done with that. I warn each of you that has posted your empire number in your signature block, or posted it anywhere on this or other boards to realize that THEY are out to get you, and THEY want it to be easy.

Lord Uriel

New Sparta

Empire #####

I warn each of you that has posted your empire number in your signature block, or posted it anywhere on this or other boards to realize that THEY are out to get you, and THEY want it to be easy.

Lord Uriel

New Sparta

Empire #####

Thank you, Lord Uriel! :robot: You have made my day!

All my life, I have wanted to be a member of the mysterious THEY! THEY control the media! THEY set the price of fuel! THEY are responsible for the moral decay of the Universe! THEY assassinated Elvis! THEY are piloting the UFOs! :alien: THEY are keeping the cure for cancer a secret!

Now, I am actually, really and for true, a member of THEY!!!

Prime Employee Vague Ethereal

Arcane Services Inc.

:ph34r:

(Last week, could not even spell Kunspirasy. Now I are one!)

Lets not forget the silent black coptors being used to move the spies around. Quieter than a summer breeze, perfectly blended into the night sky, they could be depositing a spy behind you now, even as I type.

:alien: Wait, what was that sound behind you. Just the house settling as it cools from the days warming. Or maybe ..... :robot:

Cool :ph34r:

A few questions

1) are any special rules regarding delivering agents?

2) will the agent receive information about THAT pop group? (If so - why bother with an agent...why not ORB it? :robot:) Or will they get clues about the whole empire?

3) What kind of information will they get?

or is this stuff that we have to 'discover' :alien:

What I am curious about is if they are allowed to "land" on a hostile world in the same way as you transfer them around your own fleets and worlds with the only limitation being that they are located in the same system.

Basically what is the point? If you could get to an enemy system (HW) with ship you'd sure do other things than spying on it. I am assuming you can get as much info if you put them on colony worlds of the enemy or they're completely useless. As for sending them to allied or neutral worlds when you cannot control what level of actions they'll take there is a sure prelude to war. I agree that the PAP level should be used to regulate the actions taken by spies. Even allied countries have attaches to keep each other in line.

/Locklyn

Maybe we just need to develop cloaking technology (or something similar) before we're supposed to start thinking about spying on each other.

Especially later in the game when everyon'es gotten more paranoid, a 1000-ton cloaker could probably sneak in long enough to deliver a spy and then activate its scuttling charges before anyone notices it.

Not that we would ever consider such a thing.

There is an even simpler solution to a cloaked ship... A captured enemy ship. From what I remember, there is a chance that a captured ship would be mistaken as one of thier own and avoid detection. :robot:

Well, I have to say thanks to Pete for getting the basic functionality working. Its nice to know that they will be useful for something.

I support the policy that Special Agents have to be moved around just like any other characters. Maybe someday cloaking devices will help. Or maybe you can try to use your own diplomatic skills to conduct a policy of non-agressive interaction. Then beat them at the spy game.

It would be nice if the Agent's activities were modified by the PAP command, or some new commands. But right now I think space combat reports, ANZ, FOB, and DD improvements are much more important.

• 7 months later...

BUMP:

This thread had a lot of questions with few answers perhaps this could be amended? How does protecting your colonies work? Is the chance of capturing enemy agents per agent of your own or raised cumulatively with the no of agents placed on the world etc?

:jawdrop:

/Locklyn