Rolling Thunder Forums

Espionage is in!

Lord Xaar

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping the espionage system will be somewhat realistic in that any information that a spy would steal or report would be linked to the technology, facilities, items, or fleets they are able to observe or reasonably have access to at the world they are inserted.

In my empires its highly probable, baring an unknown one way link to my home systems, that the first world another player would encounter would be a skimming operation. No facilities, no population, one robot ship in orbit with Mk 1 Nuc Eng, Mk 1 Nuc Jump Drive, Fuel Shuttles, and Fuel Tankage. Thats it. The only items on the planet are an Imperial Flag and Fuel, lots of fuel, but only fuel. The only orders the ship has is skim skim dump, skim skim dump, etc.

In addition, my WP Sensor Ships are all built with Initial tech items to limit another race from knowing my actual tech base or weapons emphasis. The only advanced items my survey ships have are Mk II Nuc Eng (4ap) on my planet survey ships and Mk II JSS on my Warp Survey Ships.

It would be very hard to accept that someone could plant an agent at an automated fuel operation and know what tech I'm researching, steal tech that they don't even know I possess, know where my fleets are located, know that I may have 50,000 Improved Stripmining Complexes on my HW, or know the location and size of an army they haven't seen.

Yeah it would be good to know some of the things we can expect, how to stop em and if as many of you say the information gained from a pop 1 colony is equal to a large colony or hw, if PAP could affect the sort of espionage performed (ie just espionage and no sabotage on TAs etc) Pete?

B)

/Locklyn

I'm hoping the espionage system will be somewhat realistic in that any information that a spy would steal or report would be linked to the technology, facilities, items, or fleets they are able to observe or reasonably have access to at the world they are inserted.

It would be very hard to accept that someone could plant an agent at an automated fuel operation and know what tech I'm researching, steal tech that they don't even know I possess, know where my fleets are located, know that I may have 50,000 Improved Stripmining Complexes on my HW, or know the location and size of an army they haven't seen.

As rotor911 points out the information would be out there. I can think of a few ways that even a 1 pop colony would have access to knowledge about the tech the empire possesses, how big the army is, fleet composition, etc. It may not be accurate but there would be some information available as long as there are empire citizens involved.

B)

I'm not really sure what to expect out of the Espionage portion of the game. The clamp down on exchanging tech is near absolute, so I don't expect much there. At the outside a "successful" espionage tech mission would be equivalent to a "successful" EXPL mission that finds information about [insert tech here], where the knowledge pool would be technology known by the target Empire but unknown to your empire. Razor Wire, anyone? :blink:

I would expect that Military Intelligence would be predicated on whether or not the target was in the same system or on the same planet as your agent. Optimum would be same PopGroup as the Army (or same orbital location as the Fleet) and minimum would be same system, in my opinion.

We'll see ... :(

-SK B)

hmmm? Imagine,even today, someone in a remote  diamond mine somewhere in Amazonia. He'll just need a computer and an internet connection to steal information anywhere.....

But that person is on a populated planet tapping into an established information infrastructure. There is just a small leap of faith extrapolating those circumstances to planting an agent on an unpopulated gas giant in a system other than my HW and expecting me to believe they would be able to capture the same data?

hmmm? Imagine,even today, someone in a remote  diamond mine somewhere in Amazonia. He'll just need a computer and an internet connection to steal information anywhere.....

But that person is on a populated planet tapping into an established information infrastructure. There is just a small leap of faith extrapolating those circumstances to planting an agent on an unpopulated gas giant in a system other than my HW and expecting me to believe they would be able to capture the same data?

If you have a Pop Group in that system, sure. There will be comm traffic, much of which will be unencrypted. However, I would not expect chapter and verse on your empire, just snippets of information, some of which should be wrong.

All of this presumes that Pete has time to create something sophisticated which he may not have time to do.

Pop group does not necessarily imply population. I have numerous pop groups on many worlds with no population associated with them, i.e gas giants and exploration worlds.

Now if someone were able to insert an agent on one of my inhabited worlds or even get a ship into an inhabited system or even to a exploration world that I have items stockpiled on then I would have no trouble with them being able to data mine information from a large number of different sources. At least make espionage a challenge rather than a free information tap on someone's empire.

Pop group does not necessarily imply population.  I have numerous pop groups on many worlds with no population associated with them, i.e gas giants and exploration worlds.

Now if someone were able to insert an agent on one of my inhabited worlds or even get a ship into an inhabited system or even to a exploration world that I have items stockpiled on then I would have no trouble with them being able to data mine information from a large number of different sources.  At least make espionage a challenge rather than a free information tap on someone's empire.

Good point. I can see your issue if there is no population in that system. I have the impression that all ships have crews and are manned, even those on the standard skim, skim, offload runs and if there is a ship in the system, there will be comm traffic even if it is ordinary admin traffic.

I'll paraphrase myself from an earlier commentary on this issue.

If you can simply indicate which empire to spy on by entering an order with a number attached to it, without use of a ship, I want the very same ability for Spartan Imperial Special Forces. I will only send a few .... thousand. B)

They won't destroy your useful buildings, they will be needed. They may burn your temples to the ground, *liberating* your population from the doctrine of false gods but your IC's will belong to us.

Does anyone seriously think it's ok to send a spy to another part of the galaxy without the use of a ship?