Rolling Thunder Forums

Espionage is in!

Lord Xaar

I've always figured that if an aggressive alien can get a ship through defenses close enough to:

1)  FIND your Homeworld; and then

2)  Drop a spy on to the HW

That you are pretty much dead meat anyway.   Why send spies when you can send troops or bombs?   :robot:

My only reservation involves the Cloaking Device.

I've seen the ANZ for the Cloaking Device so I can imagine a situation where a ship MIGHT be able to get past most screens completely undetected.   But a determined enemy will easily cough up the resources necessary to cloak a ship capable of bombing the homeworld instead of dropping off little spies.  :ph34r:   :thumbsup:

I think we need to know what exactly spies will do before we can make this determination. I'm not aware of any successful espionage mission even though this aspect of the game has supposedly been activated for many turns now. Maybe 10?? More??? <_<

Perhaps it is easy to turn a HW into a chemical/biological/nuclear waste :thumbsup::cheers::nuke: , but then that HW is not particularly useful to me. I'd prefer getting some intel on an enemy over the 10-20 turns (or whatever) that I decide to spend preparing an assault to blasting the target into a unattractive pulp. :ninja:

-LX

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lord Xaar,

I know this is a little late, but great title for this thread.

So how many people out there have an agent 86 or 99?

Takeda

(currently researching Mk II Cone of Silence)

bugger...my 86th character is a Merchant. Not quite up to 99 yet, but here's to hoping Agent 99 will show up on my doorstep... :ninja:

-LX

:ninja: It would be creepy to drop agent Dick Tracy into an enemy fleet and see if you could follow them to their home world. Or peek at the warp drive housing for  a stamp that said manufactured at Ajax Factory Works on Alpha IV..

:thumbsup:

I'd never thought about trying to assign a spy to another empire's fleet. Not sure the Program could handle something like that, but it does open up some intriging possibilities.

-LX

I serously doubt that spies will ever gain you tech or even research points toward tech.  Pete has said and demonstrated time and again that tech is not to be transferred between positions.  At best you might get an idea what tech is being researched and what techs have been completed. 

That leaves many other things to think about, fx.

1) eliminating enemy scientists

2) fleet locations

3) ship designs

4) army locations

5) legendary character assasination

6) research sabatage

7) WP stealing or any other planetary information, even getting the results of an order off of the current turn

8) Installation destruction

9) Stockpile contents

10) Start a revolution or uprising on a neutral or conquered pop group

There are plenty of things that could be done if implemented.

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

All good ideas. Though I wonder about a lot of this being possible without having at least one new order added to the game. (Maybe: SPY) A few things are completely doable by just plopping an agent somewhere and letting time and chance do their things. Others really require some direction, and I, for one, have not seen any indication that player-direction of espionage is something being contemplated....

Would anyone be willing to confirm they have had a result of an espionage action? :ninja:

-LX

I'm not aware of any successful espionage mission even though this aspect of the game has supposedly been activated for many turns now. Maybe 10?? More???

I am not sure that this is something people would necessarily want to publicize.

In my case I haven't even found a neutral yet so I haven't had the opportunity to even use my spies.

That leaves many other things to think about, fx.

1) eliminating enemy scientists

2) fleet locations

3) ship designs

4) army locations

5) legendary character assasination

6) research sabatage

7) WP stealing or any other planetary information, even getting the results of an order off of the current turn

8) Installation destruction

9) Stockpile contents

10) Start a revolution or uprising on a neutral or conquered pop group

Hobknob, you left out the counterespionage actions that I would hoipe a spy could engage in too.

:ninja: It would be creepy to drop agent Dick Tracy into an enemy fleet and see if you could follow them to their home world. Or peek at the warp drive housing for  a stamp that said manufactured at Ajax Factory Works on Alpha IV..

:thumbsup:

I'd never thought about trying to assign a spy to another empire's fleet. Not sure the Program could handle something like that, but it does open up some intriging possibilities.

-LX

That was the point, I do not think we could actually do the fleet thing just a big what if....... :thumbsup:

I don't remember the exact quote, but Pete did say when you drop them on a world the affects would be random. No orders necessary, they just do what spies do. In fact, just the ..... wait, of course, we can not confirm nor deny that this has actually happened...... :ninja::thumbsup:

• 9 months later...

Pete, Russ,

It's been about 1 1/2 years since this feature was implemented but there has be no feedback to players on how espionage works, if it is possible to set some sort of level of activities via PAP measures like "DESTROY ANYTHING THAT SEEMS VALUABLE" or anything at all on the matter has this feature been discarded or?

:python:

/Locklyn

Pete, Russ,

It's been about 1 1/2 years since this feature was implemented but there has be no feedback to players on how espionage works, if it is possible to set some sort of level of activities via PAP measures like "DESTROY ANYTHING THAT SEEMS VALUABLE" or anything at all on the matter has this feature been discarded or?

/Locklyn

I thought that as long as the agent was on another players colony, that agent would randomly do random things- spy, sabotage, etc.

Pete, Russ,

/Locklyn

I thought that as long as the agent was on another players colony, that agent would randomly do random things- spy, sabotage, etc.

I have not seen any documentation on Espionage so I don't think anyone knows what would happen.

I got really excited when I first saw this thread....until I noticed it was posted in late 2004 :P

Some good ideas all around. I only hope that the efforts actually reveal something useful. I foresee the inclusion of intel on ground units as we don't have an existing order that allows to anticipate enemy ground forces.

I had nearly forgotten about this thread...

I can report that I had a high-level agent on someone's HW for *many* turns -- I'd have to go back and look for the exact time, but I'd estimate a year of real-time play at least -- and I've never seen any report of a successful activity. Maybe I've been received unreported benefits?

I kind of suspect it's not quite working yet... :cheers:

Before any of my neighbors get worried, the position in question was dropped (maybe that's why I wasn't getting intel?) and was sucessfully taken over recently by an attacking force of more than eighty units. [and no, I don't understand the odds shifts either]

[This was not an action authorized by Lord Xaar, but was reported to him by a representative of a Shadow Empire.] :nuke:

I'd be very interested to learn if the system is supposed to be working now, or was mothballed for a while?

-LX