Rolling Thunder Forums

Newbee Questions

Dai

I have been in the game about six months. The turns themselves are a little slow. However there are some things to do for planning for the future that can keep you busy.

1. I assume that you have a good spreadsheet for the production portion. I would also create a database of your exploration finds.

2. Explore as much as you can

3. Design and build a colony ship if you have not already done so.

4. Start your first colony.

5. There are different philosophies on exploration ships. I have separate designs for warp surveying and for exploring planets. You may choose to ahve them in one ship.

6. Get some ships on XEXPL orders as fast as you can. You will need to have up to 25k Cargo bays on the ship and to establish a colony at each place you explore so that you can offload the finds into a wherehouse for your freighters to pick up.

7. ANZ and INST everything you can. This includes tech you can research.

This should help to keep you busy.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't scrap your industry... if you have a decent birthrate you'll be able to build all your mines and such by turn 4-6. if you are especially rich in resources then maybe 8. but not beyond that. =P

Totally disagree. You don't need all that industry. Scrap whatever you need to build more mines and stripmines. Unless the starting numbers have changed, that's what I did and would do again.

This is my advice based on a limited amount of game experience. You do start out with a lot of ConMats in a stockpile so I would not scrap any of your industries right away. However, you will need more ConMats eventually as you start building up your colonies so use your industries to support your Colony construction requirements. It is easier to scrap ICs than it is to build all of the timber and steel into ConMats plus you may have to build Improved ConMats early on to support some of your colony construction requirements. Also, as you will need to build at least one power plant to power all of the mines you are building, you can expect that 500k ConMat construction to put a big dent in starting stockpile. All of the mines you will be building will do the same.

And dont do what I did a couple of turns ago and screw up your Processed Radioactives Build which led to a complete blackout with looting and everything. :D

I hope this information was helpful.

(Sorry but I made the last part up. There was no looting. :lol: )

B)

And dont do what I did a couple of turns ago and screw up your Processed Radioactives Build which led to a complete blackout with looting and everything. :D

I hope this information was helpful.

You're Emperor stepped in and settled the labor dispute then.

Handily enough, I started out with OK yields in iron and timber, which makes the conversion into ConMats very helpful B)

Your industrial base has a couple of limiting factors namely; population, industries, stripmines, regular mines and power. Every situation is diifferent, but it is more important to have your regular mines running than in having a few thousand more industries to convert raw into something. Since you can easily switch back and forth at will, there is little danger of making a permanent mistake. You will also have to get used to the idea of scrapping industry or else you will be continuously plagued with an overabbundance of industrial power and a lack of resources to feed it.

If your need some numbers here are some.

1000 standard industries for a starting position will convert 250,000 raw materials into 25,000 resources ( iron , crystals etc..)

If you build standard mines with them instead you would produce 100,000 resources given a yield of 200. Even with a yield of only 50 you will still generate the same 25,000 tons of resources as you would have made using industrial power to convert raw, plus you would not have used up that 250,000 raw.

So, for a recap-

A starting position is advised to build all possible (depending on the formula you use) regular mines and build enough power to ensure that they have power to run. If you still have left over population and construciton materials when this is accomplished then you cna build more stripmines, industries and power in the proper proportions. If you didn't ahve enough pop or construction materials to complete the first task then you shold DISM some industries to accomplish it. Waiting for pop to grow is possible, but wasteful.

I would also advise against building too many shipyards at this phase since they will suck up lots of power at the startwith little benefit. Only build what you need and then convert them back to industry when not in use. Eventually you will have surplus construciton materials sitting around that can be used to build surplus power generation.

A note about power-

I find that the benefit of not needing fuel for hydro and geo plants makes the extremely desirable. I switch to these if at all possible. It is a real pain when you don't have enough power to run your mines So, if you are lucky enough to have a yield of 200 or better you can completely switch over. Even a slightly lesser yield would work as well IMHO.

Religious leaders will generate random events that increase regular mine production for a given mine just the same as other leader types can. If you happen to find a grand cathedral to somebody during exploration on a world then a religious type has a chance of getting noticed by the deity in question and you get "favor points" . Nobody know what good a favor point is yet, but you do get them.

:D

Religious leaders will generate random events that increase regular mine production for a given mine just the same as other leader types can. If you happen to find a grand cathedral to somebody during exploration on a world then a religious type has a chance of getting noticed by the deity in question and you get "favor points" . Nobody know what good a favor point is yet, but you do get them.

:ranting:

Administrator types being really good at increasing production. :ranting:

Lord SaHeru-

Once a colonist, always a colonist....(until dropped off from a colonial berthing :ranting: I see a LC/OC loop command in your future....)

As far as industry etc.....

I would borrow/develop a spreadsheet that ties in your pop, power, shipyards, resources and buildable items.

If you play around with it, you can 'maximize' your industry for that turn. Your limits will be population and CM.

If I had to do it again, I might take my chances and build nothing but colony/exploration/survey ships for the first 10 turns, research Imporved IC/SM (maybe Advanced if you are gung ho about it) and then build Improved CMs and Improved Heavy Machinery for turns 10-50...converting your industry into ICM/ISM/OrbCrystRefi as you go.

Only snag: warmonger neighbor decides to pay you a little visit :ranting:

Good point :D

One hting I like about this game...there really are a variety of ways you can go about building an empire....and much of your success will come down to what your neighbors do.

Certainly keeps a species on their toes :cheers:

I'm wondering if anyboy or an alternate position has neglected all shipbuilding for 30+ turns and focused on nothing but ICM/IHM production. I've run the numbers and you could improve your economy by quite a bit depending on your pop growth rate. On turn 30 you would have shiny new techs to build....and THEN turtle up...with higher tech items :D