Rolling Thunder Forums

EXPL finds

Prospective

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got four hits last turn. How many fleets do you have on EXPL?

Five fleets and only one hit last turn.

I'm sure that I read somewhere on this board that there was a diminishing return on the amount of fleets that you had on EXPL?

Have others seen this? Or is it that you need far more fleets than I have doing EXPL?

Kahless old bean, I don't suppose you'd care sharing your exploration ship blueprint with the rest of us, just so we see how you do it, wouldn't dream of copying you old sport.

:unsure:

Locklyn posted a design for EXPL ships on the boards......

Whether it was any good I don't know, but it's out there somewhere, if only I could remember...

As was suggested before I believe it is more racial design that is increasing the hits than ship design. Also, the presence of an Explorer character will help greatly, although I suspect that most of you place them on your survey ships.

:(

The basic design is simplicity itself,(a must for Klingons :unsure: ):

MKII Fusion Engines(as many as you need based on total tonnage to achieve 8ap).

Cargo Bay25,000-50,000.

Survey Lander--1

Drone Rack--1

Light Magnetic Grapples--2(don't know if they help but i've always put them on.)

MKI Short Range Sensor--2--5

MKI or II Medium Range Sensors--2--5.

Type B Science Lab--1.

MK I,MKII,or MKIII Computor system, at least 1.

This is for a basic in system explorer, in addition, an explorer if you have extra ones, and any weapons you want to have on them. With just the basic design and no weapons it takes 320 MK II Fusion Engines. Not a big deal if you are making 2,000--5,000 per turn. If you want to go out of system then naturally you needa transwarp drive, a jump drive and maybe a MKIV JSS if you want this ship to be able to do everything. Of course it will need many more MKII Fusion Engines.

I do think my SB of 30 probably helps in finding things. I would imagine that everone has their own design and likes and dislikes.

Kahless :(

I got four hits last turn. How many fleets do you have on EXPL?

Five fleets and only one hit last turn.

I'm sure that I read somewhere on this board that there was a diminishing return on the amount of fleets that you had on EXPL?

Have others seen this? Or is it that you need far more fleets than I have doing EXPL?

I can't find the thread but I thought Pete said that the diminishing return were on fleets doing expl on the same location. I.E. the more you look the less you get but I could be wrong.

Now on the subjet of item caps...could it be that Type B,C,D etc Science Lab bump the limit up?

Here's ours. We get 33-40% hits per turn (only 2 AP though)

Cargo Bay 24,000

Light Tractor Beam 3

Mk I Computer System 9

Mk I Long Range Sensor 9

Mk I Short Range Sensor 9

Mk II Short Range Sensor 9

Survey Lander 3

Type A Universal Xlator 3

Type B Science Lab 3

Just out of curiousity, why would you put the Mk # Sensors on your exploration ships?  They have no use outside of finding mines.

Lord Uriel

Your memory has left you. according to Pete (see answer 3):

QUOTE (Ozboym @ Mar 24 2004, 09:41 PM)

QUOTE (RTGPete @ Mar 23 2004, 05:02 PM)

I've seen a big increase in success rate from my ships designed for exploration (and not just cheesy cargo ships trying to find things).

But Pete you have a big advantage here, you know what things a ship needs when being designed for exploration. We don't. wink.gif

Things we don't know with regard to exploration:

1) Does number of ships in a fleet matter

2) Is it better to have one fleet exploring with lots of ships, or lots of fleets each with one ship

3) What equipment does a ship actually need to do an EXPL. I'd have hoped an ANZ would give us a clue, but the descriptions leave us with only guesswork, and EXPL results give no feedback

4) If a piece of equipment does boost EXPL do you need just 1 or do many help?

5) Does EXPL always have a chance, or are there some worlds out there that you'll never find anything on.

6) Do successful EXPL results on a world reduce future success chances?

Good questions. Here are some answers smile.gif

1 - # of ships doesn't matter.

2 - I suppose it's better to have many fleets spread out over multiple planets - I say this only because you get to have more EXPL's going off instead of just two fron a single huge fleet with two action points.

3 - Any item that has a positive modifier for exploration aids in EXPL orders. Here are some items that help: Survey Landers; Short, Medium & Long Range Sensors; Universal Translators; Science Labs; Science Drones. There are other items as well but these are big ones.

4 - More is better of any item. Lifeform features that increase the +exploration modifier, and mental powers, can add significantly to your EXPL success rates.

5 - There is a minimum success rate, but it can get exceedingly small if you have a lot of fleets EXPLoring and have pitiful ships doing each EXPL. Since there is very little cost in designing even moderately decent exploration vessels, it's a good idea to add those few, cheap items onto them to increase their EXPL rate. It's a good idea to add a cheap Survey Lander, Science Lab, sensor etc as the cost in tonnage is very small.

6 - Yes.

Crossroads,

Then Pete has lost his mind. I spoke with him last week. I was told to think of Mk # Short, Medium, & Long sensors as only point defense systems. He stated to me that they had no other use. I questioned this because of what the ANZ results, general player opinion and general acceptance of the word sensor means. He told me to take a second look at the ANZ where it mentions what it counters, which is mine fields. I know the ANZ says different, but Pete stated that they only defend against mines.

Ok, now that we have both quoted Pete, who's more accurate?

Believe me, I would really, really, like to know.

So, Pete. When you have the time, what's the definitive answer?

Lord Uriel

A comment on gadgets to increase exploration. Having been told gadgets increase exploration results, I put together a orbital with 1,000 survey landers, 100 type b science labs, and Mk II comps and cargo bays. I honestly believe that my exploration results on a planet that is "ripe" for exploration are less than what I was receiving previously. so figure that out. :cheers:

Lord Uriel