Rolling Thunder Forums

EXPL finds

Prospective

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its true: Sensors are only used for countering mines in space combat.

Which begs the question - if we have so many sensors to choose from, how important are mines?

Well - according to Pete, Mines are nothing more than "mis-spelled missiles" ie fire at long range with X explosive damage.

So think of Sensors as a specialized defensive system.

This begs the question......are CIDS and Sensors "fleet-wide" defensive systems or are they now specific defenses for that ship (as are all the other defenses in the game)

My current assumption is that CIDS are fleet-wide...ie...you remove 1 drone/fighter per round (if the drone/fighter v CID tech level is the same)

I think Sensors are also fleet-wide (hence the fleet rating)

I also presume that Pete isn't crazy :D Sensors help with exploration -- but their only function for space combat is Mine defense.

Well Pete said earlier on the old boards and in emails that Sensors were important for detecting enemy fleets but I've had just as good results (and I've tested this) with ships that were basically engines and fuel tanks doing XSENS as ships so I think that is another fluffy part of the game with no reality connection just like the rules speak of your results from CSV, PMAP, GEO etc being dependant on ship equipment which is just nonesense again in the "rules" since you get the exact same results with a 100 tons of fuel tanks looking like a ship.

I'm so fed up with the rules saying one thing, the game another and then Pete giving contradictory rule interpertations to different players. It would seem that if you don't call RTG on a daily basis to check the rules then you're out of the loop. Sad but true and something more and more players are getting really frustrated with, not just me.

Please get the rules updated, get us a working complete naval combat document, let the ANZ show weapon, armor and shield ratings and go through the basics that are left out of the rules like stability, religion, leaders, ground combat installations etc etc etc

/Locklyn

SNROTE has the potential to be a great game ... when it's finished. :P

I have invested a lot of time, effort and money in the 2 years since SNROTE started, and I am unwilling to abandon it. However, I would not recommend this game to a friend, because it is so obviously incomplete -- and how badly out of date are the rules now? :angry:

:D Riled Limey

I've considered figuring out how much I've spent on this game, which in from the start and with many screwed up orders, etc. Could be more than I really want to think about.

I'd really like to hear from Pete on what the sensors do. I know I talked to him, but others have information that differs.

Pete, at some point you read these posts.

What's the word on sensors? What do they do? What do they not do? The ANZ says one thing, you say another, then say something entirely different to someone else.

Lord Uriel

I too have noticed that fleets without sensors have no problem spotting aliens. However I do ponder the possibility that there might be some sort of cloaking technology available which will make sensors neccessary to spot cloaked fleets. Who knows. :D In this game anything could be possible. Would Pete tell us if they were neccessary to counter cloaking? Would he confirm that cloaking is possible if we asked? :thumbsup:

In the meantime, I think I'll just carry on putting a few sensors on my ships just in case :P

Bah, there's nothing contradictory about Sensors. They are used to help spot enemy ships that would otherwise have been hard to spot. They are also defensive systems in combat. There's nothing mystical about them.

The original idea for mines was to allow their use strategically. This was changed before release to tactical combat use to avoid massive exploitation. Mines are weapons like anything else, to preserve stability in the weapon vs defensive system exchange.

The possibility of Cloaking Devices scares the seeds out of me.

What do you mean possibility? How do you think all that beer shows up without you seeing the delivery ship? HMMMMM??? :beer:

Hey! who moved my icons around!!! :(:(:cheers: