Rolling Thunder Forums

So whats happening?

Locklyn

I have heard of this direct pipeline and other complaints in almost every PMEM game I have ever played.

Most the problems Lars posted, are not problems to me, because of the PA alliance. I do not call Pete for MOST things, I ask the allaince.

The complaint that nothing has been done, and in the same breath the complaint that all the changes have made the rules too hard to keep up with without a rules update, certainly conflict with each other.

I play the game, and if having fun keep playing. I do not let rule books or such to being hard to keep up with worry me. I am organized, and since everyone has the same playing field, the game is fair.

I think there has been a lot of work done, most recently, my armies now show up in my fleets.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard of this direct pipeline and other complaints in almost every PMEM game I have ever played.

Most the problems Lars posted, are not problems to me, because of the PA alliance.  I do not call Pete for MOST things, I ask the allaince.

The complaint that nothing has been done, and in the same breath the complaint that all the changes have made the rules too hard to keep up with without a rules update, certainly conflict with each other.

I play the game, and if having fun keep playing.  I do not let rule books or such to being hard to keep up with worry me.  I am organized, and since everyone has the same playing field, the game is fair.

I think there has been a lot of work done, most recently, my armies now show up in my fleets.

Playing devil's advocate here, is your PA alliance open to all empires? If not, it's also hypocritical of you to say that you don't need help from the GM's or an up to date rulebook because your alliance fulfills those needs, but then you also claim that it's a level playing field.

Form your own alliance and level the playing field. I'm not sure how that's Devil'd advocat. lars is part of a large alliance, probably has more information that most players and still does not feel it is enough. I play because it's fun, because Lars (my friend), and Ur-Lord (my arch nemisis :-) are in the game. The field may not be level but it's close to being level....

Oh did I mention I still have saved SRPs after 2+ years... :) Must be the pipeline adding more points.

Egads man SRPs after 2+ years?? I really hate to see what your race looks like. Will they fit in an empty glass of water? well come to think of it if you have LOTS of SRP's left then maybe they will.

I have a position that ran out last spring which is quite a long time into the game and they

arent your tiny decrepit clumsy type brain blobs.

Umm, can't seem to get the 'quotes' to work.....

'Arch Nemesis' - go on, just because we were amongst the first to expose your schizophrenic, obtuse and dichotomous 'play', doesn't mean you shouldn't try to spell it right..... :)

Here we are, all peaceful and honourable and we know we have to take gratuitous insults from those who aren't, but bad spelling, that's just beyond the pale....

Lord High Seneschal to Ur-Lord Tedric and the rest of the Wise Men in the Conclave....

PS Merry Christmas, or any other celebration you're having this time of the year :P

Most the problems Lars posted, are not problems to me, because of the PA alliance.  I do not call Pete for MOST things, I ask the allaince.

I play the game, and if having fun keep playing.  I do not let rule books or such to being hard to keep up with worry me.  I am organized, and since everyone has the same playing field, the game is fair.

Gary,

Unless the PA have suddenly become psychic then the reason you can ask your alliance about game related issues or rule interpertations or Petes latest changes is because at least one of your members has spoken with Pete about the issue. The same goes for my alliance.

As for the second paragraph. Had you actually bothered to read my initial query, or the ones precluding that you would have seen that I was talking about the lack of updated rule documents. While there has been numerous changes or additions to the game itself as well as a lot of fixes, the RULES have gotten little attention, and the rules are the only thing a new player has to go on if he or she is not in a big alliance or mates with veteran players that can guide them through the rules and tell them what to ignore. As it is now the rules are misleading in many aspects, especially the diplomacy section, the orders sections that tell you to have special equipment and sensors for orders that in fact are as well executed with just a gastank strapped on an engine. They are totally lacking in other areas as with regards to Legendary Characters, their effect and so on or the much legendary stability that apparently can be increased for good effect through various installations and can cause revolt if on an occupied planet, which noone seems to actually have experienced, I've still to find a way within the game to measure my current stability ratings and I've asked Pete about this for more than a years time.

A new player does not have the same level playing field as a veteran player if he or she has to rely on the rule books as they stand today, that you cannot honestly say!? I've tried selling the game on several conventions and while people think it looks great, as soon as they discover that you cannot explain several integral parts of the game like diplomacy or stability or even untill of very late how combat works, they just assume it is not a finished game and uninterested with the competition on the market.

Ah sod it, I'm tired of this and why do I bother, I'm out of here

/Lars

A major index of the forums is still in the works.

Its over 52 pages and growing. I foresee another 6-7 hours of work which I can do over the next couple of days.

Its pretty interesting going through all the information out there. I find myself scratching my head several times and saying: "ohhhhhhh so THATS when Pete told us that......"

The amount of information on these boards and player updates is pretty massive! And valuable :P

In short, I'm glad I'm taking the time to do this and hope that other players will receive value from it, for the sake of the game.

Christmas Happys to you as well, ULT and everyone else [insert Santa-Hat Smiley Here :) + :ranting: = :ranting: ]

Norm,

is it even possible that you can simply walk by a campfire with a can of gasoline without throwing the whole thing into the pit?

What possible fun would that be? Of course for a species that enjoys being stuck in the ground and staring up at the sun all day, the concept of walking by a "fire" with a can of "gasoline" is likely quite an exciting dream.

hmmm, is this "walking" envy, or "proximity to fire" envy or "carrying" envy?

OOC:

It's the pre-Xmas quiet time and I've started to think about what I'm going to put into the next Flagship article beyond the 'meeting other players' and 'space and ground combat' I'd always planned.

Two years of experience and not unreasonable comments on the lack of updates to the paperwork in that time, and indeed thoughts of not being able to encourage new players for that reason, made me also wonder if I could, or should, say anything similar in my article.

So, I just re-read the rules, quickly but reasonably carefully. Indeed these are the v2.00 rules and may not be the latest, they just happened to be handy on my back-up disc.

As I was doing so I searched my memory for anything I'd seen or heard that was wrong or very significantly changed. Do you know what – not a great deal!

The vast majority of the rules are completely accurate. That said, that’s sometimes because I know a lot more than a complete newcomer. They are daunting and yes, some things do have to be tried before you really get the hang of it.

These are the 6 things I noted:

1) The cost of the turnsheets is wrong – in a nice way!

2) p5-1 the ‘Refuel’ order is actually ‘On Supply’.

3) p5-3 the Action Point Table needs updating – I know that JETT = 0

4) p6-2 the Disembark Army order doesn’t exist.

5) p10-3 I believe the Leader Title can now be anything sensible.

6) There is quite a deal of confusion between the empire diplomacy agreements for NPCs and where it says ‘both players’. Careful comment needed.

And that seems to be about it.

So, two things fall from this (and if others know of any other things that appear odd that I didn’t catch, please just post them)…

Firstly, this is still an epic game that would provide a great deal of enjoyment for anyone who both loves the scope and the necessary complexity.

Secondly, it wouldn’t actually take a great deal to make a few carefully targeted changes and prepare a revised set – like only a few hours work. I ask whether this could be done.....

Mx - :) Have a good one - everybody!

ULT-

As a man who has closely analyzed, cut and paste every single frigging thread and post on these forums over the past few weeks, I agree with you!

The rules have not changed that much with a few minor exceptions (the PAP/ALL orders being the big ones)

However, there are MANY revisions, clarifications and revelations since release.

In fact....66 pages of rather small print! (81 with current Appendices)

I've donated this to RTG to do with as they please.

I have an unpolished and 99% complete version of these updates available to desperate souls with the usual disclaimer that even though I've quoted Pete for 95% of it, its not the official RTG update.

It will be posted eventually but I want RTG to have first dibs on the material before I do that.