Rolling Thunder Forums

Mk IV Jump Survey Sensors

Prospective

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me whether I can put MK IV Jump Survey Sensors in slot 1 and have SRP's make the breakthrough in one turn.

It seems to me that I read a post at some time in the past that stated you can do slot 1 SRP breakthroughs up to a certain tech level, at which point you have to research the "old fashioned" way. Have I reached the "threshold" or can I squeeze one more tech breakthrough in?

Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas... may you all get that Christmas wish fulfilled.

Steve :holiday:

Ok, sorry to be slow about this. What do you mean "3rd consecutive item in any tree"? Do you mean that MkI, MkII, MkIII is SRP'able? OR do you mean that assuming we start with MkI, that MkII, MkIII and MkIV's are SRP'able?

Please clarify as my brain is not grasping the concept.

Thanks.

Steve

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me whether I can put MK IV Jump Survey Sensors in slot 1 and have SRP's make the breakthrough in one turn. 

Steve   :holiday:

Yes they can.

On the other mandible, if, by some quirk of government choice, you HAVE no scientists and no explorers, after over a year in the game and a theoretical 5% chance per turn on each one...

While true that a Mk III and a character will equal a Mk IV, that still leaves you with harder warp points such as F, G, and the rare H+. Also, its relatively easy to build 20 slow mapping fleets with a single Mk IV each and saturate your surrounding space, while doing the same with characters just isn't possible for a long long time.

re: "You don’t know if a Mk I Survey fleet can crack a C class warp point until you try it, but its guaranteed for A and B. You don’t know if a Mk II Survey fleet can crack a D class warp point until you try it, but its guaranteed for A, B, and C. Etc."

My friend actually had a Mk II JSS fail on a class C warp this turn. I didn't think it was possible - lucky him.

--Russ

:pirate2:  Or, you can just put 10 MKIV JSS, and explorer and a science type

one or the other but not both...what ever one is higher... but Exp better then Sci in the longrun

:holiday: back at ya

Utterly wrong, sorry.

It is clearly stated by Pete (in the forum and the Warp Survey Addendum) that both contibute, but only the highest rank of each kind.

so a Scholar + Professor = Professor, but

Explorer + Professor = Explorer + Professor.

Both contibute.

Cestvel

On the other mandible, if, by some quirk of government choice, you HAVE no scientists and no explorers, after over a year in the game and a theoretical 5% chance per turn on each one...

Almost exactly what we do. Seems to work well. Too many APs per fleet OR too many fleets equals rapid exploration for many U$D. And then what do you do with the knowledge? I know knowledge is power. But tyring to explore and colonize AND build defenses (with too little iron around) is very challenging. But that;s one of the reasons to play, the challenge.

Good cheer and Season's Greetings to all!

Octus Imperium

:holiday:

The Class of the warp point and the distance between the entrance/exit are part of the calculation for determining a successful warp survey. Hence, it is possible for Mk II JSS to fail on a "C". The usual rule of thumb for a single JSS succeeding with warp surveys without characters helping is....

MK I JSS...............Class A & B

MK II JSS..............Class C

Mk III JSS.............Class D

Mk IV JSS.............Class E

However, you can fail if the entrance wp is very far away from the exit warp point.

Characters will increase your chance of a successful warp survey. The values of an Explorer type character will add with those of a Scientist type character. The better the character, the better the bonus.

As already pointed out you can use SRP (slot 1) to obtain MK IV JSS in a single turn. You can also use SRP to obtain 4th Gen Space Science which, if you have

MK IV JSS already, will open up the research path to MK V JSS. Note that MK V

JSS requires Advanced commodities to make.

Good Cheer,

Rick

The Class of the warp point and the distance between the entrance/exit are part of the calculation for determining a successful warp survey. Hence, it is possible for Mk II JSS to fail on a "C". The usual rule of thumb for a single JSS succeeding with warp surveys without characters helping is....

MK I JSS...............Class A & B

MK II JSS..............Class C

Mk III JSS.............Class D

Mk IV JSS.............Class E

However, you can fail if the entrance wp is very far away from the exit warp point.

Characters will increase your chance of a successful warp survey. The values of an Explorer type character will add with those of a Scientist type character. The better the character, the better the bonus.

As already pointed out you can use SRP (slot 1) to obtain MK IV JSS in a single turn. You can also use SRP to obtain 4th Gen Space Science which, if you have

MK IV JSS already, will open up the research path to MK V JSS. Note that MK V

JSS requires Advanced commodities to make.

Good Cheer,

Rick

A couple points of clarification. Characters decrease the cost of the SURV. They do not add to your SURV points. The decrease is equal to 10% per level of explorer, and I think 5% per scientist level. They do add together, but not in a straight way. You will get less value for the second character (the one with the lower percentage effect.)

Mk III JSSes are plenty for almost any warppoint up to a G if you have an explorer at lvl 6, and may work for some H's. If the Explorer is lvl 7, it'll work for anything to an H. You'd need the Mk IV's for I's and higher or for H's if you only have a lvl 6 explorer. Those are general guidelines. Individual results can vary a bit.

On buying tech with SRP's, you can buy anything with a "good" rating or less, regardless of the name/designation of the item (e.g. MK III, etc.).

- Woolfe