Rolling Thunder Forums

WP Surveying

Prospective

How much of an aid are Science Labs and Survey Landers when doing WP surveys? T'Aleen's suggested design had 5 MK4 JSS's, 2 Science Labs and 2 Survey Landers. So far, I've only included Sci Labs and Survey Landers on ships designed for ground exploration (EXPL ships). Maybe I should put some of these extras in my next SURV class ship. Just out of curiosity, why two of each? Isn't one sufficient? If not, why not 5 or 10 of each? Just curious.

Along that theme, is it a good idea to include sensors/computers when doing a SURV? Will that positively affect the outcome? Or will it have no effect?

Steve

For planet exploration-

If a system is beneficial to this type of exploration then more is better, to a point. Feel free to load up your ships or use multiple ships in a fleet and see if it makes any difference. I dfind that the differences in fleet composition have very visible results. Build some fleets like the rest of us and give it a try. You will find what works best for you.

I can tell you that every empire will not have the same solution this question as lifeform design seems to have much to do with exploration success and failures.

:blush:

For planet exploration-

I can tell you that every empire will not have the same solution this question as lifeform design seems to have much to do with exploration success and failures.

:blush:

Indeed. Being a small flying race, we can get into nooks and crannies that many others would find impassable. Our inherent ability to decipher alien languages does its part, too. :D