Rolling Thunder Forums

Fighters and Drones

Ur Lord Tedric

I would like to offer an alternative suggestion. What about a modest increase in order to allow RTG to hire additional staff to help free up Russ and Pete so they can focus on more strategic issues like updating the rules and primers and coding the sections of the game that still need implementation.

As stated before only RTG can determine what is the best course of action.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to offer an alternative suggestion. What about a modest increase in order to allow RTG to hire additional staff to help free up Russ and Pete so they can focus on more strategic issues like updating the rules and primers and coding the sections of the game that still need implementation.

As stated before only RTG can determine what is the best course of action.

Playing the Devil's Advocate on this- it may not be that bad for players with one position, but with players with multiple positions it could cause them to drop one or two, or even drop out of the game. :alien2:

Actually there's an easier way to get more money to the GMs if that's desired......

Submit more orders...

Those that can, could - those that can't, won't worry.....

An extra turnsheet of simply moving picket fleets into position, or increasing surveying, or exploration, or scanning would only use a minimal of extra processing.....

And we could run a competition - I'm sure 'athonian' would run another poll - who gets the longest turn.....? :alien2:

M2CW

Mx

Playing the Devil's Advocate on this- it may not be that bad for players with one position, but with players with multiple positions it could cause them to drop one or two, or even drop out of the game.

Good point although if you are running multiple positions you are already paying a significant amount I would guess. I am more concerned with the player who is running only one position because that is all he can afford.

Actually there's an easier way to get more money to the GMs if that's desired......

Submit more orders...

The problem is that would be somewhat unpredictable and were I in the shoes of RTG I would not hire on that basis.

Sorry for the serious response but I do view this as a serious issue. I have made an investment here and I would like to see it continue and would like for RTG to be able to find a solution that makes sense on a business basis.

If this is a long term problem then only additional staff will fix it, but if all they need is a short term boost to get over the hump, then maybe skipping a turn (and still paying for it) would help. We wouldn't get turn results that cycle, but they would be working every bit as hard to improve the game for us, so continuing their revenue would be reasonable.

Of course this all depends on how overrun with work they really are. Maybe they don't need more staff or a break from running turns. Hopefully they're only a few working hours away from delivering the docs we need.

I played Victory when they had extra staff ( I believe her name was Carol and she was nice to talk to, I hope she is well), but if I recall correctly she handled admin. issues and some turn processing. But Pete is running the turn processing for snova and doing all the code work. He would still be the one writing a supplement, even if it was polished by an aide. Aside from hiring someone to write code, ( which is very unlikely to happen ) what does an additional staff member do that would justify an increase in cost to players and make veryone happy?

I play three empires, with minimal orders for each. If the cost goes up, I drop one of them, garunteed.

Lord Uriel

Or we could all send in fewer turn sheets in protest.

For shame, Martin!!

Hell, I live in the same local area with RTG and would be happy to help them out with documentation for free. However, the issue of me having knowledge than the other players would raise it's ugly head and I don't want to deal with that. If no one would have a problem with my assisting, especially RTG, then I'm game. I run three empires, and yes they all have different board identities, and would love to see a consolidated rules manual. Since everyone where I work at is totally swamped, I can sympathize with RTG's situation and would like to assist them. Just not sure how I can do that.

Sakarissa :)

Submitting extra orders would probably be the best way. That way it is up to the individual and RTG doesn't 'offend' anybody.

Hey try setting up some convoy routes or gasp, change one! :cheers:

Overall, I think RTG has done a fine job and I hope they continue to make progress. After all, we originally only got 30 orders for $6 and now its 40. I realize that was one way that RTG 'compensated' us for the early 'playtesting'.

I have intentionally not rushed into war (the action against the Bovines is really more of a roundup, than a war) so I could learn from what other people do. So far it is working just fine. :cheers:

Pete, > :P:beer: Russ, > :beer::beer:

(but not until after snrote turns are out pleaseeeee.....) :drunk: