Rolling Thunder Forums

Ultimatem to Romans and Valkor

Slish

Standard Surface Fortresses turning up at a WP ripped off the surface with some tractor beams :cheers:

Well, the powers to be have corrected the incident and make sure it won't happen again.

The error in the program allowing this to occur has existed for quite some time (I ran into it over a year and half ago). The forts cannot warp to other systems (no jump drive = no warp .. that at least works). And while in space they for some reason refuse to fight (go figure). It would be a problem if they fought and you got that 9x bonus. But it doesn't, so there is no real problem.

In theory a player could build a large fort, and "tow" it to another world in their system. Since all it has is a fleet number even for surface forts, no one would be the wiser. Of course there seems to be little advantage to that. So this fix is probably low on the work list at RTG.

Well, they fought well in that battle, complete with their 9x bonus.

But the battle got reverted.

And the check in the program should be an easy one.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with those who have said that there must be a great deal going on in the game -behind the scenes.- Disclosure on public boards probably began to end when it was realized that empires were starting to actually meet, and sometimes information posted here could provide information to empires who you might not wish to have it.

I think the game is as active as it has ever been. Perhaps even more so as folks are now formulating trade agreements, working out convoy routes and moving forward with military operation.

Ironically, after 150 turns (by my calculations), we seem to know less about what is happening in the wider galaxy.

I agree with those who have said that there must be a great deal going on in the game -behind the scenes.- Disclosure on public boards probably began to end when it was realized that empires were starting to actually meet, and sometimes information posted here could provide information to empires who you might not wish to have it.

I think the game is as active as it has ever been. Perhaps even more so as folks are now formulating trade agreements, working out convoy routes and moving forward with military operation.

Ironically, after 150 turns (by my calculations), we seem to know less about what is happening in the wider galaxy.

150 turns would be correct.

Standard Surface Fortresses turning up at a WP ripped off the surface with some tractor beams :D

Well, the powers to be have corrected the incident and make sure it won't happen again.

The error in the program allowing this to occur has existed for quite some time (I ran into it over a year and half ago). The forts cannot warp to other systems (no jump drive = no warp .. that at least works). And while in space they for some reason refuse to fight (go figure). It would be a problem if they fought and you got that 9x bonus. But it doesn't, so there is no real problem.

In theory a player could build a large fort, and "tow" it to another world in their system. Since all it has is a fleet number even for surface forts, no one would be the wiser. Of course there seems to be little advantage to that. So this fix is probably low on the work list at RTG.

Well, they fought well in that battle, complete with their 9x bonus

They actually fought? Interesting. I haven't seen that before. Maybe they are working on the program and code .. and making it worse? At least RTG is good at correcting errors. Of course a simple code change could fix this. (Of course, all code changes are simple to us customers, right... :cheers: )

Standard Surface Fortresses turning up at a WP ripped off the surface with some tractor beams :D

Well, they fought well in that battle, complete with their 9x bonus

They actually fought? Interesting. I haven't seen that before. Maybe they are working on the program and code .. and making it worse? At least RTG is good at correcting errors. Of course a simple code change could fix this. (Of course, all code changes are simple to us customers, right... :cheers: )

Simply check before you execute a NM or MOVE if a ship of one of the fortress designations is present (same

class that gives 9x bonus) and cancel the movemnet. Thats it.

This code need only be executed, when checking for tractor capacity.

See, its really simple.

Combat is still happening. The losers are too ashamed to post the losses and the victors either have too many secrets to let out of the bag or don't want to boast. Would you really trust your neighbor if you knew about his victories on the far side if his empire?

Many of the secrets of the game have been discovered and are less exciting than they once were. The secrets yet to be revealed are that much more exciting and players want and need any edge they can get so mum is the word.

The board also becomes quiet when some of the more vocal members are taken out or drop in fear of being taken out. The same is said of alliances.

Don't forget the stalemate effect. At some point the various combatants figure out how to wage war at about the same level and things pretty much grind to a halt. Wars are only won when one side has a clear advantage. When there is no clear advantage there is a lot of posturing and prepping, none of which can be reported on the boards as surprise is everything.

For my part I will say that the Bombay war has entered a new phase. The tables have been turned to certain degree and now the Bombay and allies are blockading one of the enemy home systems. What happens next is anybodies guess and only time will tell.

:blink::angry2::D

Combat is still happening. The losers are too ashamed to post the losses and the victors either have too many secrets to let out of the bag or don't want to boast. Would you really trust your neighbor if you knew about his victories on the far side if his empire?

Many of the secrets of the game have been discovered and are less exciting than they once were. The secrets yet to be revealed are that much more exciting and players want and need any edge they can get so mum is the word.

The board also becomes quiet when some of the more vocal members are taken out or drop in fear of being taken out. The same is said of alliances.

Don't forget the stalemate effect. At some point the various combatants figure out how to wage war at about the same level and things pretty much grind to a halt. Wars are only won when one side has a clear advantage. When there is no clear advantage there is a lot of posturing and prepping, none of which can be reported on the boards as surprise is everything.

For my part I will say that the Bombay war has entered a new phase. The tables have been turned to certain degree and now the Bombay and allies are blockading one of the enemy home systems. What happens next is anybodies guess and only time will tell.

:P:angry2::blink:

The galaxy is still very active, at least in this corner I'm situated. Players are protecting their secrets just as Hobknob described above, either because of shame (being defeated) or for power (keep every edge they have).

Not long ago there was this massive battle, involving an assault on this one hostile world. In the end, the loser lost over 100 to 200 million tons of defences. I can't say much more than that but it was a major victory for the good guys and galactic peace.

The War Planetoid is the big dog that's guarding my front yard and I'm protective of its secrets for the reasons we're discussing. Once its stats gets out, then it won't take long for someone to figureout how to take it down. Like figuring out how many gnats to throw at it while screening the dreadnaughts following them in. I'm avoiding that pitfall. :D

Cheers :unsure:

:robot::woohoo::robot:

The galaxy is still very active, at least in this corner I'm situated. Players are protecting their secrets just as Hobknob described above, either because of shame (being defeated) or for power (keep every edge they have).

Not long ago there was this massive battle, involving an assault on this one hostile world. In the end, the loser lost over 100 to 200 million tons of defences. I can't say much more than that but it was a major victory for the good guys and galactic peace.

The War Planetoid is the big dog that's guarding my front yard and I'm protective of its secrets for the reasons we're discussing. Once its stats gets out, then it won't take long for someone to figureout how to take it down. Like figuring out how many gnats to throw at it while screening the dreadnaughts following them in. I'm avoiding that pitfall. :woohoo:

Cheers :cheers:

Neil,

Ok, so War Planetoid isn't a ship class, it's the name of the crown jewel of your home guard. I thought for a moment that Pete expanded on the ship classes. Last report in the forum was that Nova Dreadnaught is the designation for the higher level designs and that no one had found anything different for the really large ships. A shame as it would be cool to have an expanded selection of classes, even if it's for the extreme sized objects. A person can always dream of building their own Planetoid-class or higher type ship.

Hobknob/Neil,

I understand what you are saying about keeping secrets, but I think that the lack of posts by people on this board diminishes the game for everyone and particularly for newbies. I am not a core player yet I wouldn't consider myself to be a newbie either. I know that when I joined a few years ago, this place wasn't a beehive of activity but at least there were a few new pieces of information or general interest type posts provided on a weekly basis. It's really a shame that no one is willing to post anything interesting happening in their region of the galaxy. My region is really quiet (maybe the calm before the storm??) but apparently there is action going on out there. While probably futile, I encourage people lucky enough to be blessed with activity to post, even if they censor the information. Something interesting is better than nothing interesting and a near total silence. And besides, if someone out there really has splatted 100 to 200Mt of shipping, my god why wouldn't you want to show off???? That's an incredible amount of tonnage destroyed and something to crow about. Just filter out the classified information regarding your designs and let the bragfest commence. I'm sure that only the loser would be uninterested in that achievement.