Rolling Thunder Forums

a point to ponder for pete

athonian

ah. true. the goal is to limit the sciences a bit. thats a very good point. what will probably end up happening are a lot of alliances with different guys being experts in different fields.

now in regards to this comment:

"Interesting assumption. Defend it. Your defense should include why the oppressed citizens in a dictatorship should feel an increase in motivation. It should also take into account the lack of 'rapid' technological development that occurred during Iraq in the first Gulf War, the CCCP during the Great Patriotic War (synonym: Soviet Russia in WWII), and Japan in WWII.

An increase in technological advances probably has more to do with increased funding. And, as a game balance issue, we can't increase funding to research.

My apologies for being argumentative in the morning."

war has a been a do or die situation for many many years....

first i will list off oppresive regimes and what happened in regards to these regimes.

germany during world war II and even b4 had some of the worlds best technologies because of hitler and his reorganization of the country. no doubt he did it in a very negative way but germany had rockets and pretty good tanks up into russia t-34 which was researched during the war btw.

hm i lied i'm only going to do one.

also.

europe became a dominiant continent over a great deal of the world. why?

because for its entire history the region was comprised of several hostile nations all vieing for power over the others. and yet china one of the richest area resourcewise or even america didn't become a power on its own. the only reason america is a power is because a very organized and war-like people settled the area. the native americans had some warlike tendencies however due to their beliefs or some other limiting factor they never learned the use of iron. which kept them away from the might of european power.

the japanese reformed their entire nation due to the fear of war and being dominated by european powers.

i'm not saying war is an only factor. however it is often times an impressive factor when it comes to technological development. IT does depedn on the length of the war and whether a nation is capable of doing research. Lord Uriel has about covered it anyways.

:P As regards explore hits, In my home system with 9 eight action point ships, on my last turn, I had a total of 34 hits, 12 were Tech hits, and 22 were finds of actual material things. These tems ranged from luxury goods(who cares) to Plasma pulse CIDS. I will be adding 3 more ships next turn.

Kahless :laugh:

:cheers:  As regards explore hits, In my home system with 9 eight action point ships, on my last turn, I had a total of 34 hits, 12 were Tech hits, and 22 were finds of actual material things. These tems ranged from luxury goods(who cares) to Plasma pulse CIDS. I will be adding 3 more ships next turn.

Kahless :thumbsup:

That sounds consistent with my exploration results, Kahless. At least early on... before I started to wear out the planets involved. :laugh:

Those of us into intensive exploration will have no trouble beeting Luxury Goods in terms of the "who cares" factor. :P Plant Foods, Mineral Fertilizers, Advanced Fabrics, etc., etc., etc. At least Luxury Goods could be used to build more Special Talent divisions. :P And then there is, of course, my many finds of Raw Resources. My best entry for the "who cares" prize though is this: about two turns ago, I found a several thousand tons of "Power". It evaporated by the end of the day, of course. :wacko:

TErnest

(Arcane Services, Inc.)

:cheers:  As regards explore hits, In my home system with 9 eight action point ships, on my last turn, I had a total of 34 hits, 12 were Tech hits, and 22 were finds of actual material things. These tems ranged from luxury goods(who cares) to Plasma pulse CIDS. I will be adding 3 more ships next turn.

Kahless :wacko:

That sounds consistent with my exploration results, Kahless. At least early on... before I started to wear out the planets involved. :P

Those of us into intensive exploration will have no trouble beeting Luxury Goods in terms of the "who cares" factor. :thumbsup: Plant Foods, Mineral Fertilizers, Advanced Fabrics, etc., etc., etc. At least Luxury Goods could be used to build more Special Talent divisions. :cheers: And then there is, of course, my many finds of Raw Resources. My best entry for the "who cares" prize though is this: about two turns ago, I found a several thousand tons of "Power". It evaporated by the end of the day, of course. :wacko:

TErnest

(Arcane Services, Inc.)

You can actually "store" Power on your ships and drop it off as cargo on a colony. It acts like a one-shot boost to available power. :P

-SK :laugh: