Rolling Thunder Forums

Rant

Dr.0

I look at Fighters and Drones as little gnats that sneak int othe warp bubbles of the larger ship and warp through

Wouldn't this increase the warp bubble of the ship? Or if this is true, what if I have an 8 million ton ship, couldn't all of my 1000 ton screening ships do the same within the warp bubble of my large ship?

What if the WP size is 1, and your first ship through is a 1000 ton screening ship, with let's say 10,000 fighters? since the fighter itself is 100 tons, wouldn't this mass of fighters a) dwarf the 1000 ton ship, b ) shatter the 1000 ton ship's warp bubble?

Maybe I'm just dense and don't get it. :beer:

Please stay with me for just a minute while I go off on a tangent, here.

I saw the second "Mummy" ("Mummy 2", "Mummy Returns?" Hmmm.) movie with some friends a couple years back. Somewhere midway into it, one of the characters enters the plot with an admittedly absurd looking lighter than air craft. One of my companions (who reads this board, so I may pay for letting this out, later) could not help but let out an exclamation of disbelief in the crowded theater. A millenia old creature rising from the grave (for the second time) to take vengance on the living was perfectly acceptable, but a balloon actually flying through the air was impossible for him to take.

Now with regard to the objections of fighters entering the battle in one big swarm...

Do you have any problem with the idea of faster than light travel, by any chance? :P

TErnest :beer:

Now with regard to the objections of fighters entering the battle in one big swarm...

Do you have any problem with the idea of faster than light travel, by any chance? 

No, I don't.

I've accepted that it is part of the game as written and will play accordingly. I just don't understand it. You need a jump drive to enter a WP, no problem. How do fighters do it?

If they jump with their carrier ship, are inside the WP and then are released to enter the other end with the first ship through, wouldn't they, at least increase the warp bubble of that first ship?

or using my example, how can a 1000 ton ship create a warp bubble capable of sustaining 10000 fighters in transit? :P:beer:

just my thoughts, turns here yet?

No, I don't.

I've accepted that it is part of the game as written and will play accordingly. I just don't understand it. You need a jump drive to enter a WP, no problem. How do fighters do it?

You seem to have missed my point. If you have accepted the incredibly absurd without understanding it, (unless, you actually understand the principles behide faster than light drive :beer: ) then just settle back and accept the somewhat less absurd without having to understand it. It makes enjoyment of the movie, err... game... much easier.

And scepticism buys you no answers, just affectionate chuckels from members of the peanut gallery, like myself.

Tony :P

Thanks, I enjoy the game immensely and got your point but my nonunderstanding in just of the game mechanic which is not inline with other game mechanics.

I've also come to understand that there will not be an answer to my question, which is also fine. I have accepted that that is just how it is.

I probably wouldn't have even wasted time on it (since it truly is not a big deal to me) but I REAAAlLLLY need my turn results... :P:beer:

Ack! MadMartin has 684 posts and he says that he rarely posts! Where does that put me?

I drop by this board infrequently to have a look, but I generally find that the whining, boasting, name-calling and general misinformation is not to my tastes.

I have no problem with not knowing all of the rules. I do have a problem when some people know about certain rules and other do not. But that is a different issue.

Spaceman

I did 675 of the posts last year or so. Have posted maybe 5 times in the last 3 months. Truthfully I have considered dropping. I can't focus on the game as the Captain. I now have 3 homeworlds and it is complicated too coordinate. Work is much more busy and 10-12 hous to figure a turn out is a lot.

but all those other ships require a Jump Drive to enter the WP, how do the fighters do it without one?

I look at Fighters and Drones as little gnats that sneak int othe warp bubbles of the larger ship and warp through

Wouldn't this increase the warp bubble of the ship? Or if this is true, what if I have an 8 million ton ship, couldn't all of my 1000 ton screening ships do the same within the warp bubble of my large ship?

What if the WP size is 1, and your first ship through is a 1000 ton screening ship, with let's say 10,000 fighters? since the fighter itself is 100 tons, wouldn't this mass of fighters a) dwarf the 1000 ton ship, b ) shatter the 1000 ton ship's warp bubble?

Maybe I'm just dense and don't get it. :beer:

A 2000 billion trillion ton ship -- and, yes, I mean BIG -- can warp with only one Mk I Jump Drive (though it would have a 2000 billion trillion size warp bubble). Using the same Mk I Jump Drive a 1000 ton Gnat can also jump...

So, why can't a couple thousand F&D come along for the ride? Perhaps they even do change the warp bubble of the ships they transit with. The fighters could coast along inside the slipstream of other ships' warp bubbles, they could leave their carriers and magnetically latch to other ships, they could have their own mini-Jump Drives. Come on, surely with all the SF buffs on the board a few ideas can be generated on how F&D can transit warp points while being outside the carriers??

What would get my goat would be having the ability to send F&D through a warp point entirely on their own - leaving the carriers on the other side until after the battle was over. (You could use detachable warp boosters -- a la the Fold Boosters Veritech fighters can use in Robotech). Now that would be unbalancing. :P

The other ships in a fleet have to come through eventually; although a clever Admiral could arrange it so that the carriers come through last. (And would deserve a feather in their cap for being able to pull it off, IMO) Since the other ships have to come through sometime that means the defender can take them out, given the proper preparations.

-LX

I did 675 of the posts last year or so. Have posted maybe 5 times in the last 3 months. Truthfully I have considered dropping. I can't focus on the game as the Captain. I now have 3 homeworlds and it is complicated too coordinate. Work is much more busy and 10-12 hous to figure a turn out is a lot.

Simple solution to that MMB, do less. The HWs I've captured are setup to only produce one thing. It takes a lot of the hassel out of my turn. Of course, I don't have SRPs, so my tech probably isn't nearly as interesting as yours. Just a thought.