Rolling Thunder Forums

dream UI

rotor911

I bought Space Empire IV this week-end (my brother wants to play over iP ) . There's a certain similitude between SE's universe and Supernova's (less details in SE of course) and I couldn't help thinking that the UI (user interface) would be perfect for a SN order entering program. Of course, it would need a lot of changes but the general framework would suit SN very well imo Screenshots here

Since I may theorically have some free programming time this winter (let's dream a moment), to develop a perl/tk thing, I'd be interested to know of other peoples ideas about what would be their dream SN play aid.

Some Problem occur here :-(

There is data missing in the data files, for you to have all the data available to

allow a useful GUI entry program.

This data is of course available in the pdf.

1) You do not know where the fleets are stationed

2) You do not know what the fleets carry

3) You do not know whats in the popgroups (either items or installations)

4) You will have problems with a graphical layout of the starsystems (as its 3D <-> 2D in SEIV).

But except these restrictions :-( a graphical entryprogram would be nice :-)

What i'd find useful is to be able to map star systems and drill down to look at the GEO, PMAP and CSV info, i've tried dot and it's quite nifty, any way of combining these two together?

I have been using neato rather than dot but I agree that it would be really nice to be able to drill down to see my GEO and PMAP data.

You can extract the Star System information from the PDF and pretty much everything else, that would be a key component to your Dream UI. Between the PDF and the MDB, you get a lot of information, just not in a necessarily convenient package. :D

If you could integrate Star System Information, you could also integrate Fleet Information (Cargo, Characters, Fuel, etc.).

Did anybody else notice the nice AP/Number of Ships adder to your fleet reports? Thanks Pete! :huh:

-SK :laugh:

What i'd find useful is to be able to map star systems and drill down to look at the GEO, PMAP and CSV info, i've tried dot and it's quite nifty, any way of combining these two together?

I have the extracted data from my PDFs put into a database.

I do the mapping from there with neato/dot for the starsystems and use the option

to generate HTML-maps for the neato/dot program.

So I have running a HTTP-Server with some CGIs which helps me to access

all the mentioned data:

map -> system (overview with GEO, CSV and atmosphere) -> planet PMAP, GEO

^

|

fleetlist ------+

stockpiles

installation

This is obviously not a tool setup to give away easily, as it will need some it-knowledge

to set it up and adapt to ones own evironment.

It consits of various perl-scripts which extract data from the converted PDFs and

put them into the database in a few steps.

and a CGI-script written in perl which visualize the data from the database.

Did anybody else notice the nice AP/Number of Ships adder to your fleet reports?  Thanks Pete!  :laugh:

That caused me a headache, as it broke my script for extracting the fleetinformation.

The AP Information was already available in the fleetlist, so no real gain here.

It would be nice, if Pete would announce his enhancements in the GM-Notes.

Did anybody else notice the nice AP/Number of Ships adder to your fleet reports?  Thanks Pete!  :huh:

That caused me a headache, as it broke my script for extracting the fleetinformation.

The AP Information was already available in the fleetlist, so no real gain here.

It would be nice, if Pete would announce his enhancements in the GM-Notes.

True, true ... having something in the GM Notes about it would have been nicer. I was just excited to see that something was added. Sure, there are things that I would have liked more, but when one is begging for crumbs, one does not complain about where the crumbs came from. :D

-SK :laugh: