Rolling Thunder Forums

Twofold Question

Chargerman

Oh great and wiser then I Galactic guru's I have a question.

I have a fleet of Fuel harvesting ships I tried to set up on X-orders to go one planet over skim fuel and then dump it on the home world. I put the orders in the order they would need to be done in. However it seems the ships do the first order in the series every turn so do not do what I intended. Below is a list of how I think the task should be done is this possible and how would I do it.

1. Fleet 5000 moves to the gas giant in orbit 4 (1 ap)

2. Fleet 5000 skims fuel from the gas giant (1 ap)

3. Fleet 5000 moves back to planet 4 (1 ap)

4. Fleet 5000 drops all fuel on planet. (0 ap)

Rinse and repeat…… :cheers:

My second question is how do I cancel and X order to stop them from doing what they are doing after my failed attempt? :blink::o

Oh great and wiser then I Galactic guru's I have a question.

I have a fleet of Fuel harvesting ships I tried to set up on X-orders to go one planet over skim fuel and then dump it on the home world.  I put the orders in the order they would need to be done in.  However it seems the ships do the first order in the series every turn so do not do what I intended.  Below is a list of how I think the task should be done is this possible and how would I do it.

1. Fleet 5000 moves to the gas giant in orbit 4 (1 ap)

2. Fleet 5000 skims fuel from the gas giant (1 ap)

3. Fleet 5000 moves back to planet 4 (1 ap)

4. Fleet 5000 drops all fuel on planet. (0 ap)

Rinse and repeat…… :cheers:

My second question is how do I cancel and X order to stop them from doing what they are doing after my failed attempt? :blink:  :o

This needs to be done in a Convoy Route, not as a Set of Standing Orders.

1. The command for Deleting Standing Order is DELS. You can delete up to 5 standing orders with one DELS. You will need the priority which you can get on the turn sheet.

2. Next do the following

3. Drop a Colony Beacon on the planet you wish to dump the Fuel on if you have not already done so.

4. Execute the following sequence of orders on your turn sheet

CNVR "Name of Convoy Route

NM 9999 "System Name" 4

SKIM 9999

NM 9999 "System Name" 4?

OC 9999 PopGrp# FUEL, "Quantity of Fuel"

CNVR "Name of Convoy Route"

(Move Fleet 5000 to the system if you have not already done so)

CONV 5000 "Name of Convoy Route" 0

Note: The items in quotes are for you to assign as you wich. The 9999 is actually a dummy fleet number which is replaced by the fleet number you assign with the CONV order so it can be any number you choose which makes it nice it you want to have multiple fleets that you want to have execute the Convoy Route.

Finally, in my opinion the most important thing to remember in creating a Convoy Route order sequence is to remember to start and end the Convoy Route with the CNVR order. Otherwise all subsequent legal convoy route orders from that turn including any Standing Orders you have will be included in the Convoy Route. (This was a kind of painful lesson I learned the hard way.) :wacko:

There are several ways to set this up.

I've had a skim fleet set up over a gas giant since early on. It's a 2 AP fleet, so I have 4 standing orders for them. A convoy route would work too but takes 2 extra orders to set up

XSKIM

XOC to pop group on gas giant

XSKIM

This has the advantage of not wasting any AP on movement. All APs are spent on skimming. These are ships with little but large numbers of fuel shuttles and exactly enough tankage for one skim operation. They unload after each skim after all.

Then I use a tanker fleet in a convoy route to transfer the fuel from the gas giant's pop group back to my home world.

I haven't needed to change it since I set it up. Just add more ships to the respective fleets to increase yield. Higher AP fleets may open up other approaches too.

There are several ways to set this up.

I've had a skim fleet set up over a gas giant since early on. It's a 2 AP fleet, so I have 4 standing orders for them. A convoy route would work too but takes 2 extra orders to set up

XSKIM

XSKIM

This has the advantage of not wasting any AP on movement. All APs are spent on skimming. These are ships with little but large numbers of fuel shuttles and exactly enough tankage for one skim operation. They unload after each skim after all.

Then I use a tanker fleet in a convoy route to transfer the fuel from the gas giant's pop group back to my home world.

I haven't needed to change it since I set it up. Just add more ships to the respective fleets to increase yield. Higher AP fleets may open up other approaches too.

Or one could use a second fleet on a convoy route to shuttle between the skimmers and another world. I've done this when I forgot to bring a colony beacon along. Also keep the turn sheets a little less cluttered. All those colonies for XEXPL efforts....

Octus