Rolling Thunder Forums

Troop Tranport Design

Emporer Magara

:woohoo: I was playing around with designing a troop transport. It was a 100,000 ton design with 5 troop berthings (50,000 tons) the rest was mostly defense systems (armor, screens ect.) Then I thought does the design need alot of defense systems.

I mean if there part of an invasion fleet you've secured the space around the planet. The only reason to realy armor them up would be if they take fire while landing troops. That is if they DO take fire under the rule system.

On the same note would adding weapons to the design be any help in landing the troops?

What thoughts do others have on ship design and the rules? Russ HELP!

I'm afraid it is indeed a real guess with no evidence, but that guess is this:

Once all enemy 'fleets' have been destroyed (including orbitals and surface forts), then I think your ships are fairly safe.

Then, however, when you use the BOMB order, the ground defences will have some defences against these weapons - namely the otherwise limited Space Defense troops....

M2CW

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

PS We need the P2P diplomacy followed by the Send Message order first, and then perhaps we can get some info on Space & Ground combat.....

I mean if there part of an invasion fleet you've secured the space around the planet. The only reason to realy armor them up would be if they take fire while landing troops. That is if they DO take fire under the rule system.

Emperor Magara, presume that your troop transport would be part of a second wave fleet, after the first which takes our enemy space fleets - so guess it would need armour but not as much as the initial wave. This depends on how much you fear counter attack. I guess against Non player races, with minimal build capacity, this risk would be tiny.

However, being unarmoured/armed sounds risky, the information on Troop Shuttles does comment on starships landing to drop troops off. So they might have some exposure to enemy ground troops.