Rolling Thunder Forums

Crossing Borders

What RL-action would you use to influence a PBeM game?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It is a trend that real life and game-life are becoming more and more integrated.

Currently the boundary between in-game role playing and real life (RL) is being crossed a lot.

Some examples of this development:

Boundary3

I’m interested in the opinion of the RTG community about this topic (SN players, feel free to participate). So I made up this poll.

Regards,

Zhe Zheikh!

"What's the price you're willing to pay to win?"

That's an interesting question indeed and not easily answered.

Should you play a game if the outcome, whatever it maybe, disrupts RL?

What if the Propaganda Ministry is taken seriously?

Let's hope we are playing against people that are sane enough to see the difference... We are playing a game of death after all....

Don

• 2 weeks later...

I once had a 15 year old kid in Runescape threaten to drive across the country to show me how nasty he could be because he felt I had insulted some woman that he felt was his girlfriend but who he didn't actually know. I told him I doubted that his mommy would drive him that far and if he somehow got here, well, look up the Man's Castle ruling in Michigan and you will catch my drift.

Two years later at the age of 17 this particular kid was arrested by the FBI in Washington State after a teacher overheard him planning a mass killing at his high school and his backpack was full of detailed plans on how to block all but certain exits, and a detailed list of firearms (that his dad owned) that would be needed to achieve the kill ratio he was targeting. What a demented freak!

He then claimed he was designing a game not really planning a shooting and his dad went ballistic in the media about his little reptiles free speech rights. The kid had always been unstable, volutile, and overly agressive.

Games are games. They should be fun. People who don't or can't understand that need to be isolated somewhere; preferably in deep space.

Race Pilsner

Race Pilsner is correct. A certain amount of R/L, however, must come into gameplay. I just can't imagine 'Marshall Petain' playing Germany; and a certain amount of healthy plaigerism[i.e. the Honor Harrington novels] just adds spice.

Sadly, there are people out there for whom role playing is R/L and it's incumbent on all gamers to identify and isolate them from the venue. Kudos to Russ & Pete for being pretty on top of this over the years, but a certain amount of self-policing is in order as well.

Political correctness needs to go out the airlock when political/personal rants start taking a front seat. I do this to get away from that particular form of scatology, and I'm not paying turn fees to listen to mindless babble about the state of the world. That's what blogs are for.

Keep it out of the game and away from me, not necessarily in that order.

Race Pilsner is correct. A certain amount of R/L, however, must come into gameplay. I just can't imagine 'Marshall Petain' playing Germany; and a certain amount of healthy plaigerism[i.e. the Honor Harrington novels] just adds spice.

Sadly, there are people out there for whom role playing is R/L and it's incumbent on all gamers to identify and isolate them from the venue. Kudos to Russ & Pete for being pretty on top of this over the years, but a certain amount of self-policing is in order as well.

Political correctness needs to go out the airlock when political/personal rants start taking a front seat. I do this to get away from that particular form of scatology, and I'm not paying turn fees to listen to mindless babble about the state of the world. That's what blogs are for.

Keep it out of the game and away from me, not necessarily in that order.

I would offer Russ $10,000.00 to guarantee me the country of my choice and an extra $50,000.00 to win the game.

If he agreed, I would off him with my beloved Ju-88a-4s.

Let's hope we are playing against people that are sane enough to see the difference... We are playing a game of death after all....

Sanity is the opinion of others what is considered normal, insanity is what they consider not to be normal. :blink:

So we are all insane, depending on who is stating their view. But that's why we play games..... :drunk:

To forget about (for a while anyway), the stupid stuff we all deal with in the real world. :ph34r:

I would offer Russ $10,000.00 to guarantee me the country of my choice and an extra $50,000.00 to win the game.

If he agreed, I would off him with my beloved Ju-88a-4s.

Aren't those already Russ'..... ;) He is just letting you use them, he wants them back when you are done blowing stuff up. :blink: Without holes preferably..... :ranting:

DezertCamel :robot: