Rolling Thunder Forums

weather rules for airmissions

Ronald

To those that have played a country in the arctic weatherband (and to a lesser degree players in other weatherbands as well ofcourse) this should sound familiar, and probably brings up memories of frustration.

I'm playing norway at the moment and the weather for airplanes is seriously my biggest frustration. Its simply an unrealistic rule and possibly quite unbalancing to the game.

A turn in victory is supposed to be roughly the equivelent of 1 month. Its rare that weather is soo bad for an entire month that no missions can be flown at all and if it was then why can some planes fly and others not? Even if they are based at the same airfield? or Why cant the planes at the airfield fly due to weather, but an enemy can hit the airfield without problem? (if only because his airbase 15 smr away is in another weatherband that hardly suffers from bad weather)

I could suggest a few improvements to counter the situation, but lets be honest the simplest solution would to simply remove the chance of an airmission failing due to bad weather.

(a coastal bombardment doesnt become less effective due to bad weather either, while I can assure you that a ship without modernday electronics would have some serious trouble hitting things it cant see and even a huge battleship gets tossed about in a heavy storm)

which brings me to the next point.

A mission cancelled due to bad weather still counts as a primairy mission.. alright fair enough..

But then why is a TAS aimed at a location that holds no enemy not counted as an executed mission.. i mean if they didnt fly then how the hell did they know there was no enemy? (this is part of the reason in my opinion that recon planes are seriously under-used)

In my opinion this rule simply makes some countries harder to play then others without seriously adding realism to the game.

Why cant the planes at the airfield fly due to weather, but an enemy can hit the airfield without problem? (if only because his airbase 15 smr away is in another weatherband that hardly suffers from bad weather)

Ronald,

I agree with you that cancellation of an airmission due to bad weather can be frustrating.

But I would like to point out that your conclusion in the passage mentioned above is not correct.

See Rules Chapter F, 10.2:

'The Mission Weather Cancellation chart gives MWC values based on the weather band and the season. The MWC for a given mission is determined by determing the MWC value for the city (sea zone if force is operating from a naval force) where the air force executing the mission is based and then the MWC value for the target location. The highest MWC value is the MWC for the mission.'

Regards,

AV

To those that have played a country in the arctic weatherband (and to a lesser degree players in other weatherbands as well ofcourse) this should sound familiar, and probably brings up memories of frustration.

I'm playing norway at the moment and the weather for airplanes is seriously my biggest frustration. Its simply an unrealistic rule and possibly quite unbalancing to the game.

A turn in victory is supposed to be roughly the equivelent of 1 month. Its rare that weather is soo bad for an entire month that no missions can be flown at all and if it was then why can some planes fly and others not? Even if they are based at the same airfield? or Why cant the planes at the airfield fly due to weather, but an enemy can hit the airfield without problem? (if only because his airbase 15 smr away is in another weatherband that hardly suffers from bad weather)

I could suggest a few improvements to counter the situation, but lets be honest the simplest solution would to simply remove the chance of an airmission failing due to bad weather.

(a coastal bombardment doesnt become less effective due to bad weather either, while I can assure you that a ship without modernday electronics would have some serious trouble hitting things it cant see and even a huge battleship gets tossed about in a heavy storm)

A mission cancelled due to bad weather still counts as a primairy mission.. alright fair enough..

But then why is a TAS aimed at a location that holds no enemy not counted as an executed mission.. i mean if they didnt fly then how the hell did they know there was no enemy? (this is part of the reason in my opinion that recon planes are seriously under-used)

In my opinion this rule simply makes some countries harder to play then others without seriously adding realism to the game.

Try having a mission canceled during the summer playing Morocco !

Try having a mission canceled during the summer playing Morocco !

Sandstorms?

I have always thought the multiple TAS when there were no enemy units in a square was unrealistic. I don't have a problem with mission cancelations due to weather although it is VERY fustrating. I have played Norway, Finland and Norhtern Russia and have lost armies because of lack of planes ie battle of the bulge.

If the multiple TAS was not available the rule regarding recon would be used to track targets. As it is I quit trying to use it years ago.

Don

I think it is safe to say that there are more things we would like to see improved in this Great Game.

But I'm not under the impression that Russ is working on it... :-)

Guest Spongebob

WHAT :robot: you can do multiple TAS until you find a target? I have have finally found out why I keep losing.... So i dont need thousands of recon planes to find the enemy.

OMG that sucks, I never knew that. :P

Ok world now I know I can beat the monk, all I need to do is build bombers and carpet bomb his whole country :pirate2:

WHAT :jawdrop: you can do multiple TAS until you find a target? I have have finally found out why I keep losing.... So i dont need thousands of recon planes to find the enemy.

OMG that sucks, I never knew that. :angry2:

Sponge,

Not to rub it in or anything, but you could have known: Rubitin: 5 year old post .

It's a very good idea to read all of the messages in the 'Strategy&Tactics' part of the forum. And don't forget the messages older than 90 days.. :laugh:

regards,

THE SHeikh

WHAT :angry2: you can do multiple TAS until you find a target? I have have finally found out why I keep losing.... So i dont need thousands of recon planes to find the enemy.

OMG that sucks, I never knew that. :laugh:

Ok world now I know I can beat the monk, all I need to do is build bombers and carpet bomb his whole country :jawdrop:

READ zhe rules Sponge. Unserztand 'm und apply zhem. That way you stand a chance on the battlefield.

Btw you still need recon and LOTS of 'm. I use LR recon in combination with those multiple TAS orders. TAS where I suspect the enemy, LR where I just wanna know what's happening.

Good duck

Von Manstein