Rolling Thunder Forums

Question About Point Defenses (CIDS)

woolfe99

I was mulling over the various versions of CIDS in the tech tree and wondering what the difference between any of them is, other than the fact that they have different prereqs.

It occurred to me that if your ordinance (missiles, torpedos, fighters, drones) get the benefit of your defensive systems, that they might fare better against a CIDS that is based off a technology that you have defenses against. For example, if you have flux capacitors, perhaps your fighters and missiles do better against plasma CIDS. I know that ships without defenses can get the benefit of other ships in the fleet that have defenses. Could this applies to ordinance you fire as well?

Does anyone know? Pete?

My own thought (nothing to prove it yet) is the various differing CIDS exist mainly so you can specialize / follow a research path (as RTG keeps pushing) but still develop decent CIDS. I mean, if you kept researching various plasma based weapons and got no CIDS defense to work on, what would happen? You'd be helpless in battles with drones and fighters and missles. Having them at various points on each weapons path allows you to become the Master of Plasma weapons if you so choose .. yet still develop a decent defense.

Make sense?

My own thought (nothing to prove it yet) is the various differing CIDS exist mainly so you can specialize / follow a research path (as RTG keeps pusing) but still develop decent CIDS. I mean, if you kept researching various plasma based weapons and got no CIDS defense to work on, what would happen? You'd be helpless in battles with drones and fighters and missles. Having them at various points on each weapons path allows you to become the Master of Plasma weapons if you so choose .. yet still develop a decent defense.

Make sense?

I'm fairly certain you're right. I was just hoping there would be something cool in addition to that...

While I agree it would be a nice color effect if different CIDS had slightly different effects. However, I haven't seen too many techs that augment Drones and Fighters (e.g. Nuclear Pulse Engines) as compared to the variety of Drone and Fighter 'role' technologies (i.e. Light Drone, Standard Drone, Bombardment Drone, etc.).

It would be one thing if SN:ROTE was like Space Empires IV - Gold, where you 'loaded' out your Drones and Fighters. You could have thicker armor, flux capacitors, ECM packages or whatever on board your Drones and Fighters, but that's not how SN:ROTE seems to work.

This would lead me to believe that CIDS are CIDS are CIDS and the only key stat is how they are rated: Poor, Good, Adequate, etc.

YMMV :beer: