Rolling Thunder Forums

Advance-To-Contact

ShadowKitsune

On a different thread, it was mentioned that you could 'leap-frog' through enemy territory using ATC orders.

That being the case, I have some questions (which may engender more questions depending on the answer I get).

For example --

Provinces A and B border Province C.

I currently control Provinces A and B and the Cities xA and xB.

1st Corps is in City A.

2nd Corps is in City B.

3rd Corps is in Province A.

4th Corps is in Province B.

My goal is to cut off Province E, which I can reach through Province D becuase it borders Province C. (Province C -> Province D -> Province E)

[Assuming all regions are Desert or Plains and therefore have an SMR cost of 1 and the attacking army is victorious in all encounters.]

I issue the following orders:

OMG, 1, ATC, No, Province C, Province D, Province E

OMG, 2, ATC, No, Province C, Province D, Province E

OMG, 3, ATC, No, Province C, Province D, Province E

OMG, 4, ATC, No, Province C, Province D, Province E

If Province C, Province D and Province E all have LDBs...

1st Corps would engage the LDBs in Province C and then stop.

2nd Corps would move through Province C and 1st Corps, engage the LDBs and then stop.

3rd Corps would move through Province C and 1st Corps, Province D and 2nd Corps, engage the LDBs and then stop.

If I understand the rules correctly, if Corps I-III are successful, 4th Corps would 'bounce' back to Province B because 3rd Corps is in Province E and I have the Merge Option off. Right?

Now, the questions that I have are:

1. Does 4th Corps expend Fuel to get to Province E only to bounce back and effectively go nowhere?

2. If there were no defenders in Province D, would 3rd Corps 'bounce' back to Province D or Province A, since 2nd Corps would have stopped in Province E?

3. If I wanted to merge 4th Corps with 3rd Corps (or whomever is in Province E), could I do it? Or would 4th Corps merge with 1st Corps (in Province C), since I would to have the Merge Option on?

Thanks.

1. Does 4th Corps expend Fuel to get to Province E only to bounce back and effectively go nowhere?

Answer: Assuming all the other Corps succeeded, you would NOT move to that province because you have the merge option at NO, which means, you already own that province. Therefore, no fuel is spent. Now, if you didn't own that province, then the 4th Corps would be attacking it.

2. If there were no defenders in Province D, would 3rd Corps 'bounce' back to Province D or Province A, since 2nd Corps would have stopped in Province E?

Answer: Assuming the 1st Corps attack was successful and the 2nd Corps attack was successful in Province E (since it would keep on moving thru Province D, due to lack of any defenders), then the 3rd (and 4th) Corps would stay where they are and not move. Again, this is because of the NO merge order.

Added info: However, if the 2nd Corps was NOT successful at province E (and would bounce back to Province D) then the 3rd Corps would move through and attempt to conquer Province E.

3. If I wanted to merge 4th Corps with 3rd Corps (or whomever is in Province E), could I do it? Or would 4th Corps merge with 1st Corps (in Province C), since I would to have the Merge Option on?

Answer: Assuming the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Corps were all successful in their attacks and reached Province E, if you gave the 4th Corp a YES merge option, then it would merge with whoever is at Province E, provided you list Province E as your final destination. Remember, the units will merge with whoever is at the final possible destination you can reach.

On the other hand, if you put a YES merge option and other Corps only conquered as far as Province D, then the 4th Corps will move through and attack Province E.

Hope this helps. :angry2:

Hello Shadow,

The MERGE option in combat missions stands for: Go to the target province, even if it is in your own hands. So, if you already own the target province, the order will be cancelled and you can use the troops for other purposes.

If there is combat and you are bounced back, your group WILL merge with an other army group, if one is present in the last location before the attack.

The MERGE option in combat missions (OMGs) is different that the MERGE option in non-combat missions.

Hope this helps.

Norbert.