Rolling Thunder Forums

Galactic Reflections

T'Aleen Empire

:taz: just some thoughts on Music and Star gazing"

Last night as I finished hanging some new Mini-blinds in my house, and went outside after a cooling shower at night, I stood outside and took a deep breath. Nothing like standing outside on a summer's night after a shower and breathing the fresh smells of nature. Listening to the crickets(they can be loude at times too) and watching the fire flys seeminging floating around in the cool nights air.

While standing there and looking inside my house to check out the new blinds, I happen to look up at the almost crystal clear night's sky and marvel at the vastness of space. Seemingly one can look on for ever up and out into the deepness of space. As I do this, I hear the soothing sounds of a new CD playing it's soothing music as it drifts through the windows to my ears. The music adds to the scope of beauty and adds to its awe.

The CD is of World Flutes - Lifes scapes (ancient - peaceful - breeze), it makes one think and reflect on life itself. Standing there looking up, my older son Matt the 7yr old came outside to me and slipped his little hand into mine and looked up with me at the stars. I looked down at him and smiled as I saw the awe on his little young face and stood there in silence looking up again myself while this awesome flute music played on.

Make me think that one day mankind will reach the stars and I can only hope that I live long enough to see mankind return to the moon and make perminate mining colonies there. I would also like to see mankind set foot on Mars, and explore that worlds mysteries. Also I would hope that mankind sends unmanned probes to the moons of both Jupitor and Saturn as well. My hopes are high and maybe if I live another 40-50 yrs I might get to see these things come to pass. I too would hope to foster within my own children the drive and interests in science/mathmatics/learning/ and the drive to explore. I would hope that they might have a part of that future of space exploration.

I ask that all reflect on these words, and go outside one evening in the dark and just look up. Also if you have kids, take them out with you and show them the stars and sky. Also too give this CD a listen as well, I got it at Target this weekend, it was well worth the 10 bucks it cost.

keep looking up and have faith in mankind...one day we will make it...Out There!

:cheers:

You are definitely an optimist, and that's good!

I doubt however if there will be a manned flight to Mars in my lifetime. The costs are still too high and there is not a race like there was in the Cold War era to reach the moon, where costs didn't count.

But I do hope I'm wrong and that your optimistic views will happen within 40 years.

And I like the way you view the world and the sky. With all it's wrongs, Earth is nice!

:taz: Thanks....

FYI...here is NASA's url/news site that is updated daily:

http://space.com/

Have a read, it sends out one simple daily update of the newest daily space/tech related news if you would like.

With the moon and finding frozen water at it's poles, and all the other minerals there...the moon is a must and awesome resource venture for all the world. Next with the drive systems coming on line soon, getting men to mars is becoming more of a real possibility, plus NASA has slotted for a Manned landing on Mars in 2011-13.

This is a great time to be alive in the worlds history, and maybe just maybe we as a culture might just be on the verge of making it finally. I have faith in humanity and the future!

:cheers: Penn

Personal rant here and an unabashed plug

Notheing ever happens "just because" However there are ways to hasten Man's exploration of space. Join a P.A.C.. Get Involved. Talk to others that are interested and get them involved. It requires effort, time, and $$$, but if enough people demand it the politicians will have to listen. Just hopeing it will happen will do nothing to bring about the necessary changes to get beyond the Space Shuttle and low earth orbit. The Politicians will never allocate enough $$$ to a forward looking project like space traval until the people demand it. as of right now there are not enough folks demanding tha we alloccate more resourses so they think that they have done enough :taz: I could go on but this is really not the forum

Ad Astra

Gary

:taz: Hey for years I have always been involved in one way or another and know a few people that are involved in one way or another in the space program. Heck I even tried once to get a job with a NASA satalite company once myself. At this point it all starts with get more people aware of the facts and get them interested in the program and scope of space. The drive is there and the tech is starting to get there as well to make it possible! Have faith because we are getting there!

Ako,

A P.A.C. is a Political Action Committee, which is a polite term for soft-money pimping, lobbiest group. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your perspective, some PACs have a lot more money than others in which to influence politicians. Maybe its the jaded cynic in me, but it takes money to make changes in American politics regardless of the nobility of the cause.

Sorry to be so ignorant, but what is a P.A.C.?

Shadow has it about right. In US politics only 1 thing matters and thatis personal influance. So if you do not hav ehte ear of a congessman or a Senetor you have to buy your way into thier office (can you imagine any other reason to spend 15 -20 million to get a job that pays $250,000.00 a year). ;) But like it or not the only way to get something through as curently unpopular as space traval is currently is to "convince" someone in power that it is a good idea and show him/her why it is in their best interest to make it happen. For us pro-Space folks that would be Space cause or some other PAC unles one of you has the ear of a Federal Congressman of Senator. :blink:

I was a Phone Director for Space Cause for years, have been out of topuch with them for a coupla years but I plan on getting involved again soon. Get ahold of someone in Ad Astra or get ahold of me privatly if you really want to get more involved. Like I said nothing is going to hapen untill we can convince the Politicians that this is a good idea and that they ccan somehow benifit from it

Gary

Try this website. The NSS is involved federaly and a solid orgaization. They used to be the L-5 society

http://www.nss.org/

They use a magazine called Ad Astra to pass along information, both onlne and (at least they used to ) through the mail. they would be a great place to start. I was a member years ago but had to stop as it was taking up too much of my time and for several years was essentially out of work. From there you will find other organizations Like RMMS ( the mars society) and others. depending on your interst and level of involvment. To anyone that is truly interested in Human Space Exploration this is just about the best way to go.

Sorry for taking over this thread but it is one of the few causes that I am truly passionate about

Gary

Americans need to elect a president like John F Kennedy instead of Bush. USA is the space leading country and currently only nominee for Mars and beyond travels. Instead of creating reasons to spend money to wars and bombs they should spend money for space tech. Currently UN good or bad working to unite the world, there was no need to disrupt stability in the UN and in the NATO.

I m myself have some hopes. In near future when Europe unites and USA citizens elect right presidents, than world becomes more stable and there will not be enough reasons to make wars. The space race may begin.

One if loses his hopes, he has nothing to lose more...

Elect the right Presidents?! Like JFK? :lol:

This may sound harsh but getting shot did wonders to perserve his reputation and the whole Camelot mythos. No, I am not advocating that he deserved to, or should, have been shot in the head. I'm merely stating that the man didn't walk on water or achieve Enlightment while in office. His speechwriters were very impressive as was his ability to deliver the speeches they wrote. There was a great sense of Nationalism during his Presidency and our "enemies" were easy to spot: the Red Threat of the USSR. The USA actually had somebody to "race" against. Who do we have now?

I would love it if NASA became the haven of America's best and brightest again. I would like it if we resolved our global conflicts at the Olympic Games or over games of Chess (or Cribbage for that matter). :( I would be more than happy to live in a world where I wouldn't have to worry whether or not my plane flight is going to be blown up by some lunatic whose twisted view of his own religion feels compelled to do so.

Unfortunately, as long as there are leaders like Amin, Hussien and Marcos; organizations like Al Qaeda, the Red Brigade and the Intifada; and nations willing to support them, we're not going to make as much progress as we, as a race, could, which is very sad. :thumbsup: