Rolling Thunder Forums

Galactic Reflections

T'Aleen Empire

Actually, if you really look into it, wartime doesn't create more advances per se. What it does do is accelerate some products to production faster at the expense of others. :( Most of the *spiffy tech* of World War II was already being developed prior to the war (e.g. Radar, Jet Aircraft, Submarines, Rockets, Nuclear Fusion, Synthetics).

M2CW

I have to disagree a little with ShadowKitsune on this. I would agree with the theory being put forward or even just a basic hypothesis prior to a war but huge amounts of base research and engineering invention go into bringing a product from theory to actual use. The war provides a focus and reason for the huge capital investment to do this.

The invention required to "productize" a base technology is certainly as great, if not greater then the effort to put forth a theory in the first place.

Nuclear Fission was done prior to the war in one lab in Germany. They didn't even realize

what they had. It took the US government billions of dollars to move the results of a

lab experiment into the region of a working weapon. They invented new techniques of detination, expanded the understanding of fission itself, etc.

Jet Aircraft. The basic jet engine moved slowly through development all through the 1930s mostly due to lack of funding. The war caused the Germans (and later the british) to increase their capital expenses in jet engines. Even then the first generation of jet engines were barely workable as weapons. A 100 hour life for the engines of the ME262 is not very impressive from a service standpoint.

Wire Guided weapons. This one I think was completely started after the war began.

Radar. Initial developments before the war. After the war new technology was certainly invented to allow for improvement in detection, airborne versions, etc.

Good Cheer,

ShadowKitsune,

Open your eyes and look for the proof of theories driven by money lead governments.

Why all of NATO and other world countries financially, politically and militarily support US lead operation to Afganistan and nobody but a few bought governments supported at Iraq ?

Bearing in mind the enormous amounts of money granted in "aid" by the US to certain countries in order to get them to vote for military intervention in Iraq at the UN Security Council, I'd say that governments can clearly be bought by both sides!!! Not sure its a good idea to get into the merits (or otherwise) of US foreign policy tho! Likewise slagging off the French and Germans is not a great idea - I would not be at all surprised if there are French and German SN ROTE players who subscribe to this board and who would no doubt be very offended by the previous post. Indeed many people would find these comments offensive, regardless of their nationality.

:cheers: Guys....errrr how does this to do with my topic of Music, and Space, and openning up of ones mind to the simple things here on this great big beautiful Earth we all live on. We are One Race, on the same world, and we all bleed the same Red blood.

So calm down, and take a chill pill :D !!!

And all together now lets have a few :unsure: while awaiting our turns... :angry:

The music I tend to listen to when I'm in a 'space' mood varies. Sometimes I listen to Tomita's electronic images, or Wendy Carlos' 'Sonic Seasonings.' I tend to avoid the heavy metal hair music which seems to saturate so many space epics at the theaters these days.

Guess it's my desire to retain that sense of wonder and awe. Kind of hoping to get that out of this game too, but perhaps I'm expecting too much?

I do have some old soundtrack music from Bernard Hermann, the composer who arranged the music for epics like 'Jason and the Golden Fleece,' 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' and more importantly 'Day the Earth Stood Still' Good music for voyaging off into the unknown. Especially since I seem to be focusing so much on fission tech.

"Bring the atomic pile to full power! Engage drive coils!" Very retro. ;)

Then of course, there's the Imperial March from Star Wars. I was humming that after one of my ship designs garnered the label 'Star Destroyer' from the design advisors.

What music does everyone else think of/listen to, as they cotemplate the game and process turns?

-Sha'thar