Rolling Thunder Forums

Imperial Army/Guard/Marine Installations

Prospective

I've got a question about the 16 Imperial Army/Guard/Marine installations that are available for construction. The description printed on the turnsheet says "Ground combat tactical rating improvement".

However, the INST states: "This is a ground unit training and/or housing facility, and can prove useful on worlds where you are planning on stationing troops for extended duty misssions."

In order to get the "ground combat tactical rating improvment", do they have to be stationed on the same planet as operations are conducted?

Do they have to be in the same system?

Or is it sufficient to have one per empire, as is stated in several other turnsheet descriptions (e.g. Imperial Naval Academy)?

If it turns out that in order to get the bonuses, it has to be on the same planet, then HOW do you go about doing this logistically? From what I understand, if you wish to land troops on another planet, you first have to drop a colony beacon. Would you then, on the next turn, OC enough Construction Materials in order to build the facilities, issue CON orders (do you need 1 pop to build each structure?) and build the facilities you want, then drop troops?

What would prevent an opponent from coming in and flattening your pop group or facilities before they got constructed?

I guess that Ground Combat remains a bit murky in my mind and I'm looking for answers to how it works in addition to my question about the installations.

Thanks.

Hobknob,

I agree, an indication should be given as to where they will be beneficial, but it's not clear by the description on the turn printouts.

Pete,

Anything you can add to this discussion? Where should we build Imperial Army/Guard/Marine installations in order to receive the bonuses from them? On the HW where the troops actually get recruited, or in the Pop Group where the action is to take place? Also, is one of each type sufficient, or do you need to build multiples (kind of like the 1/100 number when talking about other beneficial structures)?

Thanks.

Use the NEWA command to create an Army that is associated with a Pop Group.

Use the DIV command to move Divisions from that Pop Group into the Army.

Use the CON command to build the Installations in that Pop Group. (Yes, they require construction materials and population just like all other facilities.)

You will notice in the Army Report section of your turn sheet that each army lists the pop group that it is associated with.

Here is my understanding based on no real factual evidence:

If the divisions are in an army that is associated with a pop group that has the facilities, then they get the bonuses. I’m assuming that you need 1 of each facility in the pop group.

I have not checked any INST descriptions for a long time. Maybe that information has been added recently?

Sargon has it pretty much dead on. Not sure if it matters if the pop group associated with the army has them, but for sure the world they are on.

Since Armies are tied to pop groups, its a safe assumption to build the INST's in the associated pop group.

In any case, you only need one each per army.

Edit: By that I mean per planet, if you assume one army per planet.

Sargon has it pretty much dead on.  Not sure if it matters if the pop group associated with the army has them, but for sure the world they are on.

Since Armies are tied to pop groups, its a safe assumption to build the INST's in the associated pop group.

In any case, you only need one each per army.

One per army?

If I had three army's in a POP group I'd need three installations?

At most you need one per planet. Some of them are one per system and others are one per empire. I believe this was the Oracle's response to similar questions long ago. You certainly get the benefit if you build them in the same pop gorup as the army is. I have never heard of any installation being needed on a one per army basis.

:woohoo::blush:

At most you need one per planet.  Some of them are one per system and others are one per empire.  I believe this was the Oracle's response to similar questions long ago.  You certainly get the benefit if you build them in the same pop gorup as the army is.  I have never heard of any installation being needed on a one per army basis.

:woohoo:  :blush:

Ahh, thanks.