Rolling Thunder Forums

So if we were to build a player-run newsletter...

EternusIV

2. You may have noticed how rare it is for Pete to post anything here anymore. The hope is that if he promised up front to answer X questions per newsletter that he would actually come through with it.

I am not so sure thatb this would happen. If Pete is not posting on the forum now, what makes us think that he would agree to answer questions in a newsletter?

I know the answer to that question is that he would only have to answer them once. However, I am not sure that questions of common interest are that frequent that this presents a major timesaving opportunity for Pete.

Also, Pete has obviously some other commitment that is consuming time which is keeping him away from the forums. Although I have no knowledge fo the reason why, my guess is a family commitment.

None of this is to argue against a player run newsletter. I think it is a great idea. It keeps people engaged in the game which is good for both the players and RTG. And I agree with the comment that not everyone comes to this forum so having a document that can be distributed to others has merit.

I am not so sure that this would happen. If Pete is not posting on the forum now, what makes us think that he would agree to answer questions in a newsletter?

I don't know. I would guess to lend some support to a player newsletter and foster more involvement in the game. Or a sudden attack of customer service maybe. Why don't you ask him?

1.  Personally, I don't see the point of a Newsletter if we have this Forum.  Everything that can be published in a Newsletter can be published here, surely?   :thumbsup:

2.  And if you're counting on an "ask Uncle Pete" column, or articles from Pete, or similar -- well, why not on this Forum? 

In fact, everything you would want in a Newsletter is already being posted to this Forum -- questions to Pete (and occasional answers), battle reports, opinions, revelations, etc , etc, etc.

1. Because not everyone reads this BBS. It may even be a minority of players. I'm assuming the player authored newsletter would be a PDF document that would be turned over to RTG who would then send it to their distribution list of all players.

2. You may have noticed how rare it is for Pete to post anything here anymore. The hope is that if he promised up front to answer X questions per newsletter that he would actually come through with it.

I would think that a link provided on this Forum back to the Rolling Thunder Games website to a Newsletter page would work fine. For those players who are web-capable, provide the URL at the beginning of every PDF Report. For those players who are not web-capable give them the option of having it mailed to them.

A Newsletter Page would also allow for Archiving, plus be a free advert teaser to all of the "fun" being had in SN:ROTE.

As far as Pete not answering anything in this Forum versus answering the Newsletter. The Forum require active daily scanning/reading to keep up with the myriad of questions that get posted. The Newsletter questions would come from a single source (a/k/a The Editor), plus he can also choose to "Answer" a Question that he is getting from the numerous e-mails he recieves weekly. In short, it requires less time and energy to put answers in the Newsletter than on the Forum.

Lastly, a Newsletter has a fixed format. Or at least a more clearly defined format than this Forum. A Newsletter is also static, while this Forum is dynamic. Once the Newsletter is published it's fixed. One can always edit the Forum. Additionally, a Newsletter comes with the expectation of a formal schedule, while the timing of things on this Forum is more ad hoc. Everyone will come to expect the Newsletter to be 'published' every month (two weeks/quarterly/etc.) by a certain date, like your credit card bill; only with a more positive connotation. :D

M2CW,

-SK :ninja:

One additional benefit to a PDF Newsletter over this Forum - you can download it then print and/or read it at your leisure. 

I can't believe I forgot to put that in my original post. :D

Forgetfully yours,

SK  :ninja:

Awesome SK :thumbsup: All great points.

Yes -- the forum, in a word, is 'cluttered' to say the least. We've needed something tangible the community can rely on as a fixed document for some time. Forum posting is simply not a substitute for a properly published newsletter in my mind for a myriad of reasons.

I set up an email account through Yahoo:

SNROTENEWS@yahoo.com

I have a basic newsletter format hashed out and some basic categories flushed out. For now it will simply be called "The SNROTE Reader"

I'll post a separate message announcing it