Rolling Thunder Forums

Advice for new players

Drake892

PMAP works fine for finding neutrals ( and doing this has now allowed me to find to primitives!).

On an aside, do you have to be in orbit of a moon to GEO?  Or is the main planet fine?

I just found my third neutral. All are primitive so far. As someone else said PMAP and ORB both show Pop Groups on a planet. I usually only ORB when I have found a Pop Group from, a PMAP so I can find out what installations exist.

GEO, PMAP and ORB all can be performed from the orbit of the main planet or any of its moons. Only CSV requires you to be in the same orbit as the target planet.

I just hope that if I run into somebody, they'll avoid the use of weapons fire as a form of I see you.

It depends on whether you are nice or not. :)

PMAP works fine for finding neutrals ( and doing this has now allowed me to find to primitives!).

On an aside, do you have to be in orbit of a moon to GEO?  Or is the main planet fine?

I've found 4 neutrals with PMAPs so far.

PMAP and GEO let you specify the orbit, so for example if you're at the main planet you can PMAP and GEO the moons without moving. Same works in reverse. If you're at a moon, you don't need to move to scan the main planet or the other moons.

Unfortuantely you can't scan planets and moons in a different planetary system without moving. Actually that's been my assumption, I've never actually tried it. Might be worth a suicide order to find out, but I would guess it would fail.

Little tidbits from the older empires have however trickled down indicating the system probe, which tells you which if any planets in the system have colonys on them.  :)

Yes, I forgot about system probes. That answers my question perfectly. An SS wont do the trick. A fleet sighting, PMAP or ORB, or a system probe is needed.

Thanks! <_<

PMAP and GEO let you specify the orbit, so for example if you're at the main planet you can PMAP and GEO the moons without moving. Same works in reverse. If you're at a moon, you don't need to move to scan the main planet or the other moons.

You know I should write this down somewhere (and yes I know it probably is written down somewhere) as after two years I still can't remember.

Must be my age!

Or too much beer?

Oh well, thanks for the gently reminder, and it's back to peeling eggshells.

You can GEO the planet and Moons from one orbit. Same with PMAP. Don't think you can do an ORB that way...

I know about GEO because we do it all the time. NM 1. GEO xxx 1, 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d - Lumber 1255, Iron 1243 - Whoopss too much information