Rolling Thunder Forums

What happens when the Carrier dies?

Do drones and fighters continue to fight after their carrier is destroyed?

I've read that drones and fighters die if they don't have a carrier to go back to at the end of the battle, but I'm curious as to what happens when the carrier dies during battle.

Thanks

They die at the end of the battle.

They will continue to fight though until the battle ends or they are shot down.

• 6 months later...

I've read that drones and fighters die if they don't have a carrier to go back to at the end of the battle, but I'm curious as to what happens when the carrier dies during battle.

Thanks

On a similar line to this thread, if your only ship is a carrier, it is destroyed but the enemy doesnt have much point defences to counter the fighters, will the battle continue till the fighters destory the ship or does it end becasue you have no ships left?

Thanks

On a similar line to this thread, if your only ship is a carrier, it is destroyed but the enemy doesnt have much point defences to counter the fighters, will the battle continue till the fighters destory the ship or does it end becasue you have no ships left?

From my own experiences early in the game (and assuming Pete has not changed it), once all ships of one side or the other are gone, the battle is over.

Think of it in this fashion. Your drones and fighters are equipped for close combat, and have fuel enough to stay in the combat area. Nothing extra for traveling all about space. So once your last ship is destroyed, the enemy ships simply run up the engines and move out of the combat zone, leaving your drones and fighters behind.

A naval engagement will continue until one side or the other has no more ships, or until the battle times out (in the very rare cases where one side simply cannot destroy the other in a reasonable amount of time...for example, a Pathfinder trying to destroy an extremely large, heavily armored but unarmed enemy exploration vessel). Fighters and Drones will continue to engage regardless of the condition of their mother ship(s) so long as there are surviving ships of any sort on their side. Furthermore, Fighters and Drones will appear through a warp point during a warp point assault even if their carriers have not yet transited, giving them a first strike capability in such cases. In addition, Fighters and Drones always fight from DepLoc 1 (full offensive firepower) regardless of the location of (or even the existence of) their carriers. These advantages are countered by a number of things, not the least of which is the ease of point defense development and maneuverability for damage mitigation.