Rolling Thunder Forums

LDB Defenses Vrs. AIR 40 drops

Warmaster

How many Ldb's do you use to defend against a daytime Line AIR40 drops?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What number of Green LDB's gaurantees a 90% chance or better of defeating an Daytime AIR 40 drop?  No fortifications or other factors are present.

Depends. I'll answer you when you clarrify things a little, please.

First; are you talking about the individual Air Regiments or the Russian Air 40 division?

Second; LDB's are always considered as 'green' for morale, and any combat modifications.

Third; no factors are present at all? No terrain, no leaders, no TPL, etc?

And I don't feel like a poll is necessary for this. I can give you an exact answer, instead, if you prefer.

:D

First; are you talking about the individual Air Regiments or the Russian Air 40 division?

Second; LDB's are always considered as 'green' for morale, and any combat modifications.

Third; no factors are present at all? No terrain, no leaders, no TPL, etc?

I had intended the question to be for a generic Air Reiment of which an AIR 40 might be among them.

NO terrain except city. I would consider this question to for a city drop. No other terrain.

TPL is an intersesting question. I would think its just part of the "grey areas" one has to think about when picking how many LDB's to put in a city.

Air Regiments, pending on nationality, range at 70, 73, and 75 OFR, before any modifications.

You specified for; 'line' experience, day drop, and city terrain. So I didn't count anything else.

The hard part, was figuring out the so called "90% chance of success". The combat tables beyonde the first decimal place are not in the rules set. I'm not a statistician either, and it's been a long time since I was in school.

Normally, I like sure things, but to each his own. Sometimes one can't do all he wants to do, within a set of orders (which happens to me, nearly all the time, any ways).

So, I'd say, that if you were facing:

- Russian; build at least 7, significant chance you'll need 8, LDB's.

- British; build 8 LDB's.

- American / German; build at least 8, slight chance you'll need 9, LDB's.

When I expanded this from the; 'green' Russian AIR 40R, against City TPL of 5 with a field marshal in the city - to - the 'elite' German AIR 40, with 5 AA and City TPL, accompinied by a field marshal against just plain LDB's; I found out a few things.

Interesting...

:D