Rolling Thunder Forums

100cm Spinal Rail Gun

Bovine Hegemony

Just curious here. Has anyone yet tried to bombard an innocent neutral (or not so innocent neighbor)? Especially with a Magnificent weapon? I've not tested this aspect of the game, having talked all the neutrals I've found into joining. But the thought of a Dreadnaught size ship loaded with Spinal Novabores, unloading on some unprotected colony or neutral .. I really can't imagine anything of value surviving such an onslaught.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious here.  Has anyone yet tried to bombard an innocent neutral (or not so innocent neighbor)?  Especially with a Magnificent weapon?  I've not tested this aspect of the game, having talked all the neutrals I've found into joining.  But the thought of a Dreadnaught size ship loaded with Spinal Novabores, unloading on some unprotected colony or neutral .. I really can't imagine anything of value surviving such an onslaught.

I guess you'd first have to strongarm Pete into making an order that allows you to fire ships weapons at pop segments...

While this is not a weapon, this does help point those impressive spinal weapons in the right direction.

Mk I Holographic Cybernetic Battle Director

The Holographic Cybernetic Battle Director represents a quantum leap over the old

....... systems. CBD's uses holographic systems linked into a cybernetic mind for command-and-control during a space battle. A visual representation is also displayed in a three dimensional holographic view of all detected combatants for use by on-site commanders should overrides be deemed necessary. As a result, commanders are more fully able to coordinate their ships with other friendly vessels during the heat of battle. HCBD's are, however, massive systems but they do offer incredible resolution, including an upgraded system of highlighting potential threats with a wide range of colors and symbols. Commanders are able to walk, slither, fly or otherwise move about the display area, giving them an unprecedented view of a battle in progress. They can even link directly into the cybernetic mind using neural-feed command chairs. This system is not only quite advanced, but is also a lot of fun for your naval commanders to fool around with during training exercises. Many a midshipman has been caught after hours playing hologames with an HCBD. The key improvement with this technology is that the command staff of a flagship can link their brains directly with the fire control systems of their ships, communicating with one another and their weapons batteries with but a thought. Unlinked officers continue to use the 3-dimensional display which updates continuously to show battle progress. It is difficult to imagine a superior system of fire control, though its considerable mass does mean this it can only be placed on fairly large vessels, surface fortresses or orbital installations. One unfortunate downside is that this system is particularly susceptible to damage. As a result, such units are generally placed on heavily-armored vessels to protect the cybernetic core as much as

possible. (50,000 tons) .....

Bridge Strength: Magnificent [112500000]

Just curious here.  Has anyone yet tried to bombard an innocent neutral (or not so innocent neighbor)?  Especially with a Magnificent weapon?  I've not tested this aspect of the game, having talked all the neutrals I've found into joining.   But the thought of a Dreadnaught size ship loaded with Spinal Novabores, unloading on some unprotected colony or neutral .. I really can't imagine anything of value surviving such an onslaught.

I guess you'd first have to strongarm Pete into making an order that allows you to fire ships weapons at pop segments...

The description of the Orbital Bombardment order says it uses conventional starship weaponry and MDD's to eradicate enemy forces from the surface of a planet, along with the ability to target specific pop groups.

Now by enemy forces, that may mean its trying to blast military units (and POP group damage is incidental). But I'm sure the incidental damage from firing down Spinal Novabore's should be most impressive. The only question is .. can you bombard a colony with no military units?

Just curious here.  Has anyone yet tried to bombard an innocent neutral (or not so innocent neighbor)?  Especially with a Magnificent weapon?  I've not tested this aspect of the game, having talked all the neutrals I've found into joining.   But the thought of a Dreadnaught size ship loaded with Spinal Novabores, unloading on some unprotected colony or neutral .. I really can't imagine anything of value surviving such an onslaught.

The description of the Orbital Bombardment order says it uses conventional starship weaponry and MDD's to eradicate enemy forces from the surface of a planet, along with the ability to target specific pop groups.

Now by enemy forces, that may mean its trying to blast military units (and POP group damage is incidental). But I'm sure the incidental damage from firing down Spinal Novabore's should be most impressive. The only question is .. can you bombard a colony with no military units?

Military Units CANNOT be blasted to bits from orbit. You have to send down your own troops to take them out. You can however blow the smithereens out of everything else POP industry etc etc.

Military Units CANNOT be blasted to bits from orbit. You have to send down your own troops to take them out. You can however blow the smithereens out of everything else POP industry etc etc.

OK, this is not making any sense. The descriptions for Haven Shield, and Tower Shield, and other shields all say they provide the troops with some protection against orbital bombardment. Your saying Orbital bombardment won't damage the troops (but will take out everything else non-military). Very confusing and not making any sense

Haven shield is a ground tech as is this, which has the source of orbital bombardment.

But as I understand it, Haven Shield not counters this, but will give you a plus if the opponent has a lower value in it.

ANZ: Surface-to-Surface Missile

Surface-to-Surface Missile: Surface-to-Surface Missile launchers are used to deliver medium yield payloads onto the

battlefield. They are difficult to stop and provide an excellent means of inflicting

artillery firepower upon enemy forces. One of its more outstanding features is the

ability of an SSM to carry conventional high explosive, chemical or nuclear warheads.

They command excellent range and can provide for orbital bombardment firepower to almost

any point on a planetary surface. In all, the SSM is a fantastic addition to any army.

Classification: Ground Combat

This Item cannot be manufactured, and is either a ground combat upgrade or a prerequisite for other technologies

Artillery Strength: Good [1500]

Chemical Weapons Offense: Good [500]

Nuclear Weapons Offense: Good [500]

Orbital Bombardment Strength: Good [500]

Orbital Bombardment is another TAC value such as Heavy Weapons and Small Arms. Starting empires have no technology in Orbital Bombardment, thus they do not show up on any of your Ground Combat Divisions until you have researched the appropriate tech advancement

Orbital Bombardment is another TAC value such as Heavy Weapons and Small Arms.  Starting empires have no technology in Orbital Bombardment, thus they do not show up on any of your Ground Combat Divisions until you have researched the appropriate tech advancement

Pete posted on these forums within the last year or so that MDB strikes would generally not hit military units. That makes Nuc Defense and Orbital Bombardment just two more tac ratings.

Hello Again,

Our placid Hegemony is again suffering the horrible pains of dealing with people shooting at us.  I guess it is better than suffering the infernal cattle prods of Kurassier and his race. 

<snip>

Moo.

I thought Kurassier was the guy who wanted to set up trade with everybody.

Why would he want to prod your race?

Hello Again,

Our placid Hegemony is again suffering the horrible pains of dealing with people shooting at us.  I guess it is better than suffering the infernal cattle prods of Kurassier and his race. 

<snip>

Moo.

I thought Kurassier was the guy who wanted to set up trade with everybody.

Why would he want to prod your race?

Don't let Kurassier fool you. For most of us, he keeps us supplied with a variety of comestibles but he does have to keep his chain of McBovines supplied with fresh meat. Now you know his source. :rolleyes:

While this is not a weapon, this does help point those impressive spinal weapons in the right direction.

Mk I Holographic Cybernetic Battle Director

The Holographic Cybernetic Battle Director represents a quantum leap over the old

....... systems. CBD's uses holographic systems linked into a cybernetic mind for command-and-control during a space battle. A visual representation is also displayed in a three dimensional holographic view of all detected combatants for use by on-site commanders should overrides be deemed necessary. As a result, commanders are more fully able to coordinate their ships with other friendly vessels during the heat of battle. HCBD's are, however, massive systems but they do offer incredible resolution, including an upgraded system of highlighting potential threats with a wide range of colors and symbols. Commanders are able to walk, slither, fly or otherwise move about the display area, giving them an unprecedented view of a battle in progress. They can even link directly into the cybernetic mind using neural-feed command chairs. This system is not only quite advanced, but is also a lot of fun for your naval commanders to fool around with during training exercises. Many a midshipman has been caught after hours playing hologames with an HCBD. The key improvement with this technology is that the command staff of a flagship can link their brains directly with the fire control systems of their ships, communicating with one another and their weapons batteries with but a thought. Unlinked officers continue to use the 3-dimensional display which updates continuously to show battle progress. It is difficult to imagine a superior system of fire control, though its considerable mass does mean this it can only be placed on fairly large vessels, surface fortresses or orbital installations. One unfortunate downside is that this system is particularly susceptible to damage. As a result, such units are generally placed on heavily-armored vessels to protect the cybernetic core as much as

possible. (50,000 tons) .....

Bridge Strength: Magnificent [112500000]

I hve nearly magnificent item for your delight:

Advanced Survey Lander: Survey Landers allow exploration teams to flit from point to point on an alien world while providing advanced scientific instrumentation to best facilitate their work. Advanced Survey Landers make use of robots and androids to enter areas considered too difficult or dangerous for living explorers, often transmitting or uploading their exploration data before they expire. (600 tons) 2,400 Advanced Steel - 600 Advanced Electronics

Classification: Science Lab

Prerequisite Technologies: 2nd Generation Android Technology, 7th Generation Computer Systems, 7th Generation Space Science

I am good guy to you, yes?