Rolling Thunder Forums

Convoy Route Question

Prospective

Hi all,

I have a puzzler for you guys and if anyone can help me to understand what happend, I'd be grateful. I set up a multi-legged convoy route (in an attempt to be able to "modularize" my movements) but it failed to work and I haven't a clue why. Only one ship in the fleet and the ship had enough AP, so that wasn't the reason it failed to work.

To illustrate:

I wrote the first convoy route from my HW to Destination World 1. At the end of the first convoy route, I have the order:

Priority 200 - CONV: 999, Destination 1 to Destination 2,0

Of course, I have a convoy route named "Destination 1 to Destination 2" already entered. I checked and there is no mis-spelling of the convoy route names. The fleet executed the first leg of the convoy route no problem. In addition, the fleet shows that the fleet is assigned to the second convoy route and the Fleet listing shows "Destination 1 to Destination 2" (last executed) 0.

So, the first leg of the convoy route worked, the fleet got assigned to the second leg properly, and the fleet had enough AP left over to begin to execute the second leg.

So, why didn't the fleet move? What did I do wrong? It's really confusing.

Help!!!

Hi all,

I have a puzzler for you guys and if anyone can help me to understand what happend, I'd be grateful. I set up a multi-legged convoy route (in an attempt to be able to "modularize" my movements) but it failed to work and I haven't a clue why. Only one ship in the fleet and the ship had enough AP, so that wasn't the reason it failed to work.

To illustrate:

I wrote the first convoy route from my HW to Destination World 1. At the end of the first convoy route, I have the order:

Priority 200 - CONV: 999, Destination 1 to Destination 2,0

Of course, I have a convoy route named "Destination 1 to Destination 2" already entered. I checked and there is no mis-spelling of the convoy route names. The fleet executed the first leg of the convoy route no problem. In addition, the fleet shows that the fleet is assigned to the second convoy route and the Fleet listing shows "Destination 1 to Destination 2" (last executed) 0.

So, the first leg of the convoy route worked, the fleet got assigned to the second leg properly, and the fleet had enough AP left over to begin to execute the second leg.

So, why didn't the fleet move? What did I do wrong? It's really confusing.

Help!!!

My thought ... Convoy routes are saved are run in the order they are created. You say you already had a convoy route D1 to D2 set up. Hence it was defined before this new convoy. When processing the turns, the computer processed all convoys assigned to D1 to D2, and then moved on to your new route. It then processed everything to the point of changing the route. After that point it was now part of a convoy route set that was already processed, and it stopped moving.

Of course I'm only guessing, never having done this before myself (trying to change routes within the convoy).

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The names I used in my post were just examples. I checked the actual convoy route names and he first convoy route started with the letter 'M'. The second leg started with the letter 'S', so that can't be it. Besides, I recall reading that convoy routes execute starting with the lowest fleet number. Routes with lower fleet numbers run before routes with higher number fleets. And, since the fleet number did not change, I would expect it to keep running.

But please keep suggesting things that I can check.

Maybe Pete could give me his thoughts on this one, though I hope he is enjoying the weekend off and doesn't read this till next Monday.

Try to check by the number of the actual fleet assigned to a convoy, 101 will run before 102, etc. Highest number fleet runs last. I had asked Pete about nesting convoys, but he said he had touble with it and it wasn't working.

Looker is correct. My convoy routes run in order of fleet number. I am not sure that makes a difference in nesting convoy routes but it is worth checking.

The current structure, allowing a given convoy route to initiate another convoy route, creates a situation where infinite recursive loops can be easily created, even by accident. Even the requirement that each convoy route must include at least one AP would not, necessarily, save you from that problem.

I too heard the rumor that Pete was having problems with recursive convoy route calls. My guess is (and this is only a guess) that Pete instituted a rule such that, whenever one convoy route calls another, all order execution for the fleet in question ends for that turn. This WOULD prevent the problem of infinite recursive loops in convoy runs.

Pete, care to comment?

TErnest

I have to concur with TErnest on this one. When your fleet "shifts" from one convoy route to another, it basically stops moving for the current turn regardless of APs remaining. This would prevent infinite recursive loops in the program, which is a good thing. :ph34r:

From a color text perspective, just think of it as your ships require time to reload the route into the NavComps. :ranting:

FWIW,

-SK :ph34r:

P.S. If you need your fleet to continue without interruption you'll have to just keep appending the route. Besides, as your fleets average APs begin to climb higher, you'll find yourself tinkering with your convoy routes more and more. :D

One of Pete's comments:

2004-08-27

CONV is now a legal Convoy Route order (this allows switching to another Convoy Route or pulling a

fleet off of Convoy Route duty entirely when it reaches a CONV, <fleet #>, NONE order. Whether the

CONV works or not (failure is generally caused by assignment to an illegally named new Convoy

Route), the fleet will halt all execution of its current Convoy Route.

The only other reasons I can see for a Convoy Route failing are an illegal name (such as NONE) or no orders requiring AP are assigned.

Convoy Routes must include at least one order that requires the expenditure of action points, or none of its orders will be executed. This is to

prevent infinite-loop issues as an endless string of non-action-point orders (such as CON or LC) were executed.

Were either of these an issue Prospective?

• 2 weeks later...

Prospective

Your convoy route has worked exactly as it is designed. Your fleet can only opperate a single convoy route /turn. Once you drop it into a new convoy route it is done for the turn. The next turn it should move along just fine.

It would be nice if you could "program" your routes just as you have intended, but that is not the case.

I tried this myself some time ago, got the same result and then called Pete.

I still use this method myself, just in a more limited fashion now.

:D<_<

The use of convoy routes to traverse your empire is tried an true. The main drawback is the effort it takes to create new routes. I find that I am duplicating almost entire routes before being able to add the last 6 or 7 new movements to get the fleet where it needs to go.

It would be really nice to be able to copy routes in the same fashion that you can make copies of your battle plans. Once copied and renamed you would then be free to modify as needed.

This would save some redudent convoy creation. I doubt it would save any orders but it would make empire management a little bit easier.

:cheers::cheers::drunk: