Rolling Thunder Forums

PMAPS and colonization

Hypothetical situation.

I've recently become allied with an empire whose people are significantly different, environment-wise, from us. We'd like them to be on the lookout for worlds we might be able to colonize.

For the lack of any other comparable information, we provide a PMAP of our homeworld, as well as atmosphere spec and type (frozen rockball and so on), and ask them to look out for worlds which match the descriptions, or which are close.

Can I expect worlds found by my ally using this system to be at least a "rough fit" for my race? Without transporting millions of tons of construction materials to build deep core heatsinks (for instance) and the powerplants for them?

-Sha'thar

Hypothetical situation.

I've recently become allied with an empire whose people are significantly different, environment-wise, from us. We'd like them to be on the lookout for worlds we might be able to colonize.

For the lack of any other comparable information, we provide a PMAP of our homeworld, as well as atmosphere spec and type (frozen rockball and so on), and ask them to look out for worlds which match the descriptions, or which are close.

Can I expect worlds found by my ally using this system to be at least a "rough fit" for my race? Without transporting millions of tons of construction materials to build deep core heatsinks (for instance) and the powerplants for them?

-Sha'thar

Interesting question.

A CSV will give the most accurate assessment of colonization potential, but only for the species issuing the order. The yardsticks for a proper CSV measurement vary considerably from lifeform to lifeform.

But all PMAP data seems to be reliably consistent. A race of 13 toed sloths, a race of floating gasbags (I think their empire name is "The Legislature") and a race of killer penguins will all get exactly the same results if they were to PMAP a given planet. :alien::blink::(:D:D So, your allie's PMAP data should be able to at least get you a good ballpark match, say to within "Very Low" attrition or better.

:cheers:

TErnest

Hypothetical situation.

-Sha'thar

Speculation. Since you enter the pop group number in a CSV order (if I recall correctly and not at home with my installed software or rule book), could a different empire enter your pop group number and get a CSV for you and be accurate? Just a thought and haven't tried it.

Our empire always does a CSV, but only after a PMAP does the inital screening. Nice to know if there are primative neutrals around in any event.

Octus

Issuing a CSV (without specifying the POP group) will give you figures for the planet.

I have to admit to stopp issuing CSV orders and just carryout PMAP. Finding those neutrals is better than trying to find a 'perfect' fit, as the info gained from the SS and PMAP should give a fairly good indication. Suppose if you're not an average coloniser race then it would be important.

Issuing a CSV (without specifying the POP group) will give you figures for the planet.

I have to admit to stopp issuing CSV orders and just carryout PMAP. Finding those neutrals is better than trying to find a 'perfect' fit, as the info gained from the SS and PMAP should give a fairly good indication. Suppose if you're not an average coloniser race then it would be important.

Of course, the farther out the colony from a friendly source of colonists and supplies, the more important the fit of the world is.

Those who have noted that CSVs are totally dependant on the species doing the scan are correct, I think. A "perfect world" CSV for someone might be a death world for someone else.

My people are relatively tough, and it helps. We're also nearing one of the species engineering breakthroughs.

-Sha'thar