Rolling Thunder Forums

Standing Orders and Convoy Routes

Ur Lord Tedric

ShadowKitsune Posted on Feb 17 2004, 06:14 PM

I like the suggestions by both Azuth and Octagon999, maybe an append order of some kind (CVNA?).

CVNA <Existing Convoy Name>

New Convoy Orders

CVNA

Flip side is that the point of the game (for RTG) is to earn money and having to record new Convoy Routes certain generates a *lot* of orders. 

Shadow, I understand and respect that this helps RTG earn money but this is nothing compared to sending in multiple orders per ship. On average about how many orders would you use up setting up a Convoy Route 5, 10, 15? A lot of folks out there probably spend about 16 orders just on two of their 8AP ships. Which would you rather spend your orders on - - moving and exploring with your ships or creating convoy routes? How often would you create a Convoy Route? And that's now, wait until we start discovering each other and the wars break out. Boy will the orders be flying then. :cheers:

In any case, it was just a suggestion and Pete can follow up as he feels. :python:

Azuth,

Don't misunderstand me. I would *much* rather spend my orders on Exploration. I *love* finding new stuff (information, NPCs or objects). Things on my wish list include:

1. Convoy Route Customization/Edit Capability. - Right now I have assorted links that I have to remember to ship fleets between depending on what I am doing. :thumbsup:

2. Better Standing Order Customization/Edit/Delete Capability - Sometimes the DELS Order doesn't work so good. :cheers:

The only reason I brought up the Orders point is that RTG has already increased the basic "sheet" of Orders from 30 to 40 (for $6 [uS]), plus we do actually have Convoy Routes that run each turn for *free* where we only had Standing Orders in the beginning. I guess I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. When I change my Convoy Routes it usually takes a "sheet" of Orders, so that turn I don't do much insofar as Fleet movement goes. I only get really mad (at myself) when I spend 20+ Orders to set up the Convoy Route and make a mistake so it doesn't work correctly, which is why I would like an Editor. Usually I have an incorrect Orbit number or some such and having to resend 20+ Orders to fix one Order hurts. :python:

YMMV,

-SK :o

Ssshadow,

why do you have to do 20 ordersss to fix one? I would think you could fix it with 5.

Sssay your order was to NM to Whoopsss 1 and you ment Whoopsss 1a, you could do a

1 ECNR to remove the NM to Whoopsss 1,

2 CNVR to ssstart the convoy edit

3 NM to Whoopsss 1a

4 CNVR to end the convoy edit

5 ECNR to edit the NM to Whoopsss 1a from the end of you route to the number that the NM to Whoops 1 wasss.

Ssso five ordersss to fix one problem, if you have mulitple problems, jussst add then to the convoy edit and edit them to the proper sequence at a cossst of 2 order for each fix or if you just append them to the end it cossstsss three to set it up and 1 more for each order you add (I do thisss for Blue Linesss). :python:

Regardsss,

CTO Sssarasss

I like the suggestions by both Azuth and Octagon999, maybe an append order of some kind (CVNA?).

CVNA <Existing Convoy Name>

New Convoy Orders

CVNA

Flip side is that the point of the game (for RTG) is to earn money and having to record new Convoy Routes certain generates a *lot* of orders. ;)

-SK :cheers:

Well... there is a way to append convoy orders today. You just start recording on an existing convoy route. The problem appears when you want a new convoy route but also want to keep the old one.

Also as far as orders go, just one of my empires, despite my best of intentions, runs me four turn sheets, things are still left undone, and it can be frustrating. And that is even with an approach of gradualism and trying to be as efficient as possible.

I don't think running out of things to write orders for is ever going to be a problem.

SssK,

Well on a 20 order convoy letsss assssssume that you do 17 ordersss, plusss 2 to ssstart and ssstop the convoy, and 1 more to assssssign a ssship to the route. Ssshould you do thisss without a convoy route it would take you 17 orders thisss turn and 17 next turn for 34 ordersss, versssusss, 20 thisss turn and 5 next to fix or 25 versssusss 34+, ssseemsss to me to be a good thing, once done forget about it. And RTG doesssn't get your almost have a sssheet to do you convoy ever turn.

Wouldn't it sssuck to not have convoy routesss? ;)

I do agree it isss a bit of a bummer to correct you convoy routesss or append to them, but overall it isss ssstill a tremendousss order sssavingsss. And the ability to forget about it hasss kept a few Minissstersss of Production gainfully employed with there body partsss intact.

Regardsss,

CTO Sssarasss