Rolling Thunder Forums

Standing Orders and Convoy Routes

Ur Lord Tedric

Just to save you all the trouble!

Since the beginning of the game I tried to make best use of Standing Orders to try and save orders in the future and make sure my fleets were also doing something. Thus many of my fleets have either XSENS or XEXPL orders.

When the convoy route system came about I've also used them for my colony runs. But those ships weren't going to use SO's, so I didn't give them any.

Now, I decided to put a couple of my fleets on to a 'Convoy Route'. One to refuel and one to go somewhere one-way and just save me the extra orders.

They both failed to do the convoy!

So, having realised what happened and checked with Pete, the advice is:

Don't bother putting fleets with SO's on to a Convoy Route and expect it to work right. SO's are processed after regular orders and before convoy routes. Therefore the fleets will do the SO's first, running out of APs, and then not do the convoy route as you planned.

C'est la vie...... B)

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric - busy making new plans........ :python:

I'm curious now.

Lets say I have a fleet with standing orders (XSENS, XEXPL).

I then carry out orders

RN (transfer all the ships our of the standing order fllet to some other fleet)

DECF (Decommission the fleet).

What will happen to the standing orders? Will they sit there in limbo on my turn for all eternity? Will the computer try to run them despite no fleet existing, so I get errors every turn (meaningless errors, just an annoyance, but..)?

Lets say I forgot to DECF the fleet. Will the now empty fleet still continue to try and do XSENS and XEXPL each turn? Could I get results this way due to a bug?

Sounds like time to do some experimenting...

The standing orders sit there for eternity and the computer tries in vain to process them each turn. I think the program checks to see if the fleet has ships in it and then if there are enough APs available to process the SOs so I don't think your cunning plan will work!

Clan Elder -- I don't think an XSKIM Order will cancel your SUPP Order, since a SUPP Order is a zero [0] AP Order. :huh:

WKE235 -- While the system won't glitch out with an empty fleet, two things can happen: [1] You can assign a Legendary Commander to an empty Fleet or conversely leave him or her behind since they are assigned to the Fleet not a specific ship; and [2] you can always put new ships into the Fleet and they will resume the Standing Orders. B)

-SK

When I removed all of the ships from a fleet which had standing orders the standing orders still tried to run. On that turn I got a note from Pete saying that he found the problem and corrected it since it would loop if not fixed. Pete has also been very good about deleting standing orders so just drop him a line on what you want done.

THe xskim is supposed to work with the Supp order so they shouldn't cancel each other out. In another thread Pete suggested that it was only movement orders that would cancel out the SUPP order.

B)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ship with a SUPP order that keeps fueling other ships as I try to get the tanker home. Annoying since I keep running out of gas.

Captain: Good, we have fueled those damn colony ships lets get home. Stow all refueling equipment and prepare to warp.

Lieutenant: Captain...the engineers have gone crazy on the brotherhoods beer. They are refueling again.

Captain: Damn!

We have warped twice (we were 4 systems out) and keep refueling everyhting in the galaxy. Just got home this turn and refueled every ship on CONVOY routes since those process after my NM to home system.

INSANE! We have of course promoted the brewmaster on board!

I have a ship with a SUPP order that keeps fueling other ships as I try to get the tanker home. Annoying since I keep running out of gas......We have warped twice (we were 4 systems out) and keep refueling everyhting in the galaxy. Just got home this turn and refueled every ship on CONVOY routes since those process after my NM  to home system.

Hence the reason I've always thought the SUPP order would be of limited use. If you keep the supply fleet in a main route, it refuels everything that passes by and too frequently you are having to transfer some fuel right back to the supply fleet. If it's out of the main route, then you have to spend orders to move fleets that need refueling to it and then back to their intended course. In the long run, under my particular situations anyway, it's not the order saver it was intended to be. I've made much better use out of the convoy route orders and the fuel transfer order.

This problem goes away once you have filled every fleet to capacity. Then it works lik eit was intended by fueling fleets that need fuel and fueling new fleets. After a 100,000 more fuel I think my freighters will finally be full. Since fuel is now free thanks to multiple skims it is only a matter of time before this hiccup has a sorta bandaid. ;)

• 5 months later...

Hi Pete, I'm really starting to tinker with Convoy Route orders now and have a suggestion. Currently, in order to "edit" a Priority# (say #50) in a Convoy Route, you'd have to do the following:

-- ECNV that Priority #50 to 0 (to delete it),

-- then CNVR to start recording

-- add your new entry (which will be added to the bottom of the last Priority # (lets say #140) of the Convoy Route,

-- then CNVR to stop recording,

-- finally ECNV to change Priority #140 to #50

This take a total of 5 Orders.

Couldn't you program this portion of the Convoy Route just like an EB order.

Example:

ECRP (Edit Convoy Route Priority#) <Convoy Route Name>, <Priority#>, <NEW Legal Convoy Route Order>

Btw, the same could apply to Standing Orders.

Example:

ESOP (Edit Standing Order Priority#) <Priority#>, <Enter NEW Legal Standing Order>

The ECNV would still be very useful for adding more orders at the end of a Convoy Route or deleting specific Priority#s.

I'm not sure how difficult this would be programming wise, but it sure would be easier for us, IMOO? Thoughts?

Not only do I agree with Azuth, it would be NICE if you could copy an existing convoy route into a new one, and then continue to record.

For example, I have a convoy route from star a to star b. Now I need to create one that goes from a to b to c. Currently I have to record one from scratch. It would be nice to be able to do one of two things.

Record a route from b to c, and then copy both a to b, and b to c, into a single convoy route.

or

Copy the A to B convoy route, and then manually record the remaining steps from B to C.