Rolling Thunder Forums

Casualties in Ground Combat

Flagritz

Hi Guys,

Just trying to get my heard around the ground combat system. 2 quick queries if possible:

1) What determines which divisions are removed first in ground combat for casualty purposes? Are Fortress always lost first in battle? Is it based on the type of division with the most divisions present targeted first etc.?

2) Does ground combat happen in rounds like space combat? if so do the TAC ratings get recalculated each round? (Im assuming it isnt but checking ;).

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi Guys,

Just trying to get my heard around the ground combat system. 2 quick queries if possible:

1) What determines which divisions are removed first in ground combat for casualty purposes? Are Fortress always lost first in battle? Is it based on the type of division with the most divisions present targeted first etc.?

2) Does ground combat happen in rounds like space combat? if so do the TAC ratings get recalculated each round? (Im assuming it isnt but checking :).

Thanks in advance for any help

From my experience, losses seem to be rather random. I have had small losses that were all of a single division type and others that were spread out over the entire force with one here or there.

Owing to the fact that we have so little data to go on it is hard to say about rounds in ground combat, but I would guess that it does not. I think it is colonial era thinking where both sides line up and let loose. Once the dust settles everybody looks to see who won.

:cheers:

Thanks to both of you for the replies. Im starting to get my head around it now :}

I'll add in that I think Fortresses are more likely to fall in the battle, as it helps the defense and Pete likes to help defeneses. The large immobile location is ripe for destruction. But it will only be lost if the enemy has taken enough damage.

For example in one assault I launched, Pete added some nice story about my forces launching an unexpected attack which temporarily pushed "X" back, allowing my forces to destroy his Fortress. But the use of MDD's on the Fortress served to rally the resiliant "X" and they rallied to over run my over enthueastically advancing troops. I nice story....

IN this battle the enemy lost the Fortress and a hand full of other units versus my attacking 30 unit force. The fortress takes a lot of materials to build, close to a 10 unit/division loss. So the loss in divisions on both sides was appropriate to the battle. Enough damage was done so the fortress could be selected as a loss (you're not going to get lucky and destroy 10 units value when only 1 unit (division) in damage was done). I think the game will look to take out the fortresses first, as that leaves more other types of units to the defender, keeping their combat abilities as high as possible in as many stat areas as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to both of you for the replies. Im starting to get my head around it now :}

I'll add in that I think Fortresses are more likely to fall in the battle, as it helps the defense and Pete likes to help defeneses. The large immobile location is ripe for destruction. But it will only be lost if the enemy has taken enough damage.

For example in one assault I launched, Pete added some nice story about my forces launching an unexpected attack which temporarily pushed "X" back, allowing my forces to destroy his Fortress. But the use of MDD's on the Fortress served to rally the resiliant "X" and they rallied to over run my over enthueastically advancing troops. I nice story....

IN this battle the enemy lost the Fortress and a hand full of other units versus my attacking 30 unit force. The fortress takes a lot of materials to build, close to a 10 unit/division loss. So the loss in divisions on both sides was appropriate to the battle. Enough damage was done so the fortress could be selected as a loss (you're not going to get lucky and destroy 10 units value when only 1 unit (division) in damage was done). I think the game will look to take out the fortresses first, as that leaves more other types of units to the defender, keeping their combat abilities as high as possible in as many stat areas as possible.

Thanks also for the post :}

I didnt think I would be able to use the advice on fortresses to help my home-world but with no battle this turn.... :}

I didnt think I would be able to use the advice on fortresses to help my home-world but with no battle this turn.... :}

Yeah, I forgot to move into orbit :ranting:B)

Yeah, I forgot to move into orbit :ranting:B)

Hey dont worry, it just gave me more time to prepare your welcome party, mwhaaa :}