Rolling Thunder Forums

3D Starmaps

nickcnew

Hi guys,

I am a returning player to SN and not particularly computer savvy.I would like to thank Brad and Hobknob for the spreadsheets they have sent me and all the advice.(much appreciated)

Whilst looking for 3d mapping software I came across this: http://www.shatters.net/celestia/ It is a fantastic way of making 3d maps of your Space and its free.

It will be time consuming particularly for those with massive Empires but it does look excellent when completed.

I searched the Forums and couldn't find any reference to "Celestia" so maybe some of you won't of used it before.

Hi guys,

I am a returning player to SN and not particularly computer savvy.I would like to thank Brad and Hobknob for the spreadsheets they have sent me and all the advice.(much appreciated)

Whilst looking for 3d mapping software I came across this: http://www.shatters.net/celestia/ It is a fantastic way of making 3d maps of your Space and its free.

It will be time consuming particularly for those with massive Empires but it does look excellent when completed.

I searched the Forums and couldn't find any reference to "Celestia" so maybe some of you won't of used it before.

How would this helping you without knowing any 3D-coordinates of your systems?

• 2 months later...

I was wondering if any players could post some pictures of starmaps they have generated? I'd be interested to see what a map can look like after advanding and expanding for many turns.

Of course that information is probably sensitive, so maybe you could remove labels or censor it somehow (photoshop?) so we don't learn anything specific about your location?

I was wondering if any players could post some pictures of starmaps they have generated? I'd be interested to see what a map can look like after advanding and expanding for many turns.

Of course that information is probably sensitive, so maybe you could remove labels or censor it somehow (photoshop?) so we don't learn anything specific about your location?

example.png

Crikey! And, what does each point represent, a system or a planet?

System or unexplored WP (aka unknown system behind it )

Oh and it is just one position. It gets an even more confusing look when you put in connected empires :cheers: