Rolling Thunder Forums

What Does It Mean to be a Soldier?

Sven Drake

Hello, everyone. I'm sure all of you know that I'm a US Army veteran, and a very proud one at that. The following is a blog that I posted on Myspace a couple of years ago. It's rather lengthy, but I think you'll enjoy it. What better place to post this, than on a forum for a game that recreates World War Two?

What Does It Mean to be a Soldier?

Well, this is a question that will certainly have different answers to different people. And I can say that the answer has changed for me over the years. Maybe you can say that I have evolved, as a human being and as an American, as I have gotten older. So, today, one week shy of my 51st birthday, I pose this question to all. What does it mean to be a soldier?

When I enlisted, back in 1977, I originally just thought of it as a way to toughen me up, for when I eventually go into the police academy. That's right; back then I had high hopes of a career in law enforcement. Why, then, did I go for a Military Intelligence MOS, instead of Military Police? Well, you can thank my brother for that. He volunteered for the draft in '68, after graduating from college. He served two years, all of it at the Pentagon. So, naturally, he thinks he knows everything there is to know about the Army. Yeah, right.

During my eventual seven years of service, we all had a code to live by, which defined who we were. This Code of Conduct was written after the Korean War. Here it is:

The Code of Conduct

I

I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

II

I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

III

If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and to aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

IV

If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.

V

When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

VI

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

In the 70's and 80's, our main concern was the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact (East Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria). Yugoslavia and Albania were Communist, but not members of the WP. For years, we staged exercises--most notably REFORGER (for REturn of FORces to GERmany)--about what to do when the shit hit the fan, and the big Communist war machine came rolling through the Fulda Gap. New soldiers to (West) Germany were required then to visit what was called the "1K Zone", meaning the border between the Federal Republic of Germany and the German Democratic Republic. Once a month, at least in the 3rd Armored Division, we would have what was called a "Lariat Advance", where they woke us up at oh dark thirty so we could pretend the Russians were coming.

Now look what's happened. The Soviet Union collapsed. Almost all of the former WP nations are now in NATO. We even use bases that once housed Soviet Tank and Motorized Rifle Regiments.

The US Army of 2007 is nothing like the Army of 1977. Back then we had 16 full combat divisions, and maybe a half dozen independent brigades or regiments. Today that number is cut in half. In 1977 we wore the solid green fatigues, aka the "pickle suit", before adopting the Battle Dress Uniform in 1982. Today they have the Army Combat Uniform. Back then we wore baseball style caps as headgear, and the "Ranger Hat" with the BDU's. Today they all wear berets--black--which was once only worn by Rangers and tankers. The Class B uniform in my day were khakis, until they faded out in favor of a coatless Class A with a new green shirt that you can put your ribbons and stuff on. Now they're talking about doing away with the green Class A, and just use the Dress Blues.

Today's Army, the Army of my daughter and son in law, has a different code, a different creed if you will, than what I had. Today they don't have to worry about the Commies; now, it's terrorism and all who practice it that face our wrath. Here is their Soldier's Creed:

I am an American Soldier.

I am a Warrior and a member of a team.

I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values.

I will always place the mission first.

I will never accept defeat.

I will never quit.

I will never leave a fallen comrade.

I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough,

Trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.

I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.

I am an expert and I am a professional.

I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy, the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.

I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.

I am an American Soldier.

The last two lines, for me, sums up what the title of the blog says: "I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life. I am an American Soldier." It is embracing a set of ideals, that is higher than us all, and defending it to the last. Every servicemember, regardless of branch, takes the same oath upon enlistment: I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, both foreign and domestic, and I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the officers appointed over me, according to custom and the Uniform Code of Military Justice, so help me God. The oaths that the President and Vice President take when they are sworn in are very similar to the military oath.

My brothers and sisters in the Marine Corps have their own creed. If you've ever seen Full Metal Jacket, you'll hear it. Their mission is a little different than the Army's, so naturally their creed is different:

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit.

My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy.

Oo-rah, Devil Dogs.

One last thing to add. America's traditions started in Great Britain, who were our colonial masters until we declared our independence in 1776. It took about six years of war to get the point across, and another war in 1812, but now the British remain our staunchest allies. I am including their Creed here, out of respect to our friends "across the pond":

I am a British Soldier.

I will train hard, think hard, and fight hard,

But I will be fair.

I will defeat the enemy through professional cunning and skill,

But I will do so with integrity.

I will overcome adversity and fear,

But I will maintain my self-discipline.

I will fight for my unit, my Regiment, and my Allies,

And I will do so with pride.

I will protect our country's freedoms,

And I will do so as a loyal subject.

I will lead and mentor all those who serve with me,

And I will do so with respect and commitment.

I will never forget those who have gone before me.

I will always be a British soldier.

I couldn't have said it better myself. God save the Queen.

Guest Spongebob

I have the greatest of respect for all Soldiers who fight for the right cause, for a just cause. My father fought in WW2, my Grandfather in WW1, they fought so I did not have to, and so with respect to them I honour the soldiers of today.

I have the greatest of respect for all Soldiers who fight for the right cause, for a just cause. My father fought in WW2, my Grandfather in WW1, they fought so I did not have to, and so with respect to them I honour the soldiers of today.

I served during the Cold War. My daughter just recently got out. My nephew was in the Air Force; I think he went to Bosnia. My brother served during Vietnam. My parents both served during WW2, as did two of my dad's brothers and my mother's brother. My maternal grandfather and his brother, sons of a Swedish father and Danish mother, fought in WW1. My great grandfather's two older brothers both fought in the Civil War. Members of my family fought during the American Revolution. As I like to say: my family has fought for, bled for, and died for this nation, since this nation first began.

I served during the Cold War. My daughter just recently got out. My nephew was in the Air Force; I think he went to Bosnia. My brother served during Vietnam. My parents both served during WW2, as did two of my dad's brothers and my mother's brother. My maternal grandfather and his brother, sons of a Swedish father and Danish mother, fought in WW1. My great grandfather's two older brothers both fought in the Civil War. Members of my family fought during the American Revolution. As I like to say: my family has fought for, bled for, and died for this nation, since this nation first began.

Yeah well my brother fought the bully down the street! :thumbsup:

My Father went to Vietnam twice and made the Army a career. I have been in, on and off, mostly on, since 1982.... I've eaten a little sand, nothing significant. My other family members, mostly from the old country, were out trying to win the Blue Max (one probable cousin: successful sub ace in WWI) or its later iron equivalent (one possible cousin, an Ostfront major)...

I am in until (a) they kick me out for old age, (2) I stop having fun, or (3) dirt nap. Of course, as a reservist (now) I only do the long term suiting up every 4-5 years (for a year). It is really pretty great.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

From one veteran to many more that are out there; thank you for your service. Less than 1 percent of Americans serve their country in the military. I say this not to slight the folks who are doing the other things that make our country great, but to honor the veterans.

Airborne!!

Zarkon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

"Yesterday, December 7, 1941—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."

- President Franklin D. Roosevelt

My special thanks go out to all veterans as we commemorate today's anniversary of all who served at Pearly Harbor on that infamous date and to all who answered the call to arms afterward, especially to my grandfather who was a part of that group of young men who did answer the call to war. Support your veterans and give them your respect, they deserve it for the sacrifices that they laid down to ensure our freedoms.

RIP Henry W. Fromerth

b. July 19, 1916

d. December 1, 2010

• 11 months later...

Today, 11-11-11, is Veteran's Day here in the USA.

I want to extend my very special thanks to every Veteran today and wish them all the best. Students all over our nation look at this a merely another day out of school, but my daughter and I will be visiting with several Veterans today and this weekend to keep this day special in our own way. I also intend to visit my Grandfather's grave on the way home tonight and thank him for his service.

• 3 weeks later...