Rolling Thunder Forums

VOEP Turn Sheet Location?

Il Duce

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place, but thought it would be more likely to be seen here. I just finished my turn using VOEP, exported saved it to the path C:\Programs\Victory!\Saves, but if I try to attach the .TRN file to an email to send it in to RTG, there's nothing there. There's also nothing there if I just browse to the location within my computer's directory. Yet, if I launch VOEP, I can load the save and if I export, it shows the file and displays the exact path mentioned when I hold the mouse cursor over it. I've also tried browsing to the location where the file supposedly is when attaching to an email and physically typing in the name of the file, but get a message indicating there is no such file. I'm at a loss. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

Tony

Tony,

I use VOEP every time with little problems, particularly when I save often. When you press the export icon the program should send you to a "Save As" folder. By your description it seems you have done this and it is working. My best guess is when you attempt to access the file you are not requesting all files, maybe your default is for .xls or .doc, etc.

Another option, since this is a microsoft access program, you can open the VOEP directory, open sheets, highlight and send your file from there (right click, send to)

good luck

Zarkon

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place, but thought it would be more likely to be seen here. I just finished my turn using VOEP, exported saved it to the path C:\Programs\Victory!\Saves, but if I try to attach the .TRN file to an email to send it in to RTG, there's nothing there. There's also nothing there if I just browse to the location within my computer's directory. Yet, if I launch VOEP, I can load the save and if I export, it shows the file and displays the exact path mentioned when I hold the mouse cursor over it. I've also tried browsing to the location where the file supposedly is when attaching to an email and physically typing in the name of the file, but get a message indicating there is no such file. I'm at a loss. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

Tony

Well, I appreciate the attempt to help, and it is very mysterious, at least to me. But you're wrong, as in fact the only option I have when I attempt to attach the file or when I look in the folder where the file should be directly is the All Files *.* option. When I load the turn in VOEP and export, it then shows me the .TRN file and I also have the option of All Files, .TRN files, and others. Strange. I tried attaching to an email when I had the file showing in a box having just been exported within VOEP, but again, it didn't show the file there. So I had one application showing the file while another application looking in the exact same place saw nothing, at the same time. I did a search for the file on the C: drive which turned up nothing. Another thing that puzzles me is that I get no "save as" option, at least now, though at one time I probably did, unless I copied it to there, since I specifically wanted the file within a Saves Folder I have within a Victory! folder which also contains various programs/files related to the game, such as VOEP as well. But now, if I save, it does it automatically to the spot where it's already saved and there's no option for me to choose the location it will be saved at. I did try copying the file and putting it in the VOEP folder, thinking maybe that would work, but it didn't. Lastly, you gave me some hope with your suggestion to open the sheets file within VOEP and send it directly. You weren't specific, so didn't know whether you meant to launch the program or just to navigate to the file, click to open, and then send. I tried the second way first, and I had nothing that was able to open the sheets file, I think it's .mdb or .mbd. I then tried launching the program hoping that I had overlooked the obvious and there was some "send" option inherent in the system, but if there is, I couldn't find it. Lastly, my OS is Windows 7 - could that be the cause of the problem? It's starting to look like I may have to re-enter everything using VICentry. Ouch!

Tony

Tony

Windows 7 isn't the problem, 64 or 32 bit.

See if you can export the file to a differnt location, say the root of C, or to your desktop. See what happens then. It could be something simple, like the ! you have in the path of your save folder.

Well, I appreciate the attempt to help, and it is very mysterious, at least to me. But you're wrong, as in fact the only option I have when I attempt to attach the file or when I look in the folder where the file should be directly is the All Files *.* option. When I load the turn in VOEP and export, it then shows me the .TRN file and I also have the option of All Files, .TRN files, and others. Strange. I tried attaching to an email when I had the file showing in a box having just been exported within VOEP, but again, it didn't show the file there. So I had one application showing the file while another application looking in the exact same place saw nothing, at the same time. I did a search for the file on the C: drive which turned up nothing. Another thing that puzzles me is that I get no "save as" option, at least now, though at one time I probably did, unless I copied it to there, since I specifically wanted the file within a Saves Folder I have within a Victory! folder which also contains various programs/files related to the game, such as VOEP as well. But now, if I save, it does it automatically to the spot where it's already saved and there's no option for me to choose the location it will be saved at. I did try copying the file and putting it in the VOEP folder, thinking maybe that would work, but it didn't. Lastly, you gave me some hope with your suggestion to open the sheets file within VOEP and send it directly. You weren't specific, so didn't know whether you meant to launch the program or just to navigate to the file, click to open, and then send. I tried the second way first, and I had nothing that was able to open the sheets file, I think it's .mdb or .mbd. I then tried launching the program hoping that I had overlooked the obvious and there was some "send" option inherent in the system, but if there is, I couldn't find it. Lastly, my OS is Windows 7 - could that be the cause of the problem? It's starting to look like I may have to re-enter everything using VICentry. Ouch!

Tony

Tony

Yes, I just stumbled on it myself. I noticed I had the older version, or at least I thought it was, of VOEP, 1.01, and that there was a 1.02 - I knew that couldn't be the problem in and of itself, since apparently the only difference was a correction in a given German air unit. But I decided to make a folder labeled VOEP directly on the C: drive and not within any other sub folders, then extracted 1.02 into that folder (by the way, it's still designated 1.01 when you launch and in the "About" file, so I may have been working with the latest version anyway). I then launched the other version of VOEP I had within the Victory! folder, in turn within the Program Files folder, exported the turn, which brought up the file in a window where I could work with it, copied it and then pasted it into the new version of VOEP within its own folder on the C: drive. When I looked in that folder, what do you know, the .TRN file was visible and I was able to attach it to an email and send it in to RTG. Don't know if it was the ! point after Victory (could be, now that you mention it) or just that some things don't work for some reason embedded in other folders. But problem solved. This thread is finished and certainly the administrator can delete it if he sees fit, or keep it, or move it, if he feels it might be of value to future questioners. I do thank those who offered help.

Tony

Windows 7 isn't the problem, 64 or 32 bit.

See if you can export the file to a differnt location, say the root of C, or to your desktop. See what happens then. It could be something simple, like the ! you have in the path of your save folder.

Tony

Tony