Rolling Thunder Forums

Computer controlled countries

Horus

Hi,

do you know that frustration when you keep on being repulsed by an (computer controlled) army of statics, while thinking you have enough to take that city?

Well, I've had enough :) and have decided to analyze this more in depth.

I know Russ mentioned me he will not give any insight in this. Maybe you fellow players are willing to share some insight and maybe I can get some answers on a few question that can be answered (Russ? :) )?

Goal: estimate the minimal necessary fire power to get that force by estimating the defensive firepower next turn.

Example:

Situation:

- Province controlled by me. City controlled by computer player (Army = 18 divisions).

Turn 1 - General effectiveness of army in city (statics) is 80%

Turn 1 - My attacks reduce it to 60%

In between turn; computer player default industrial tactic is to build LDBs, produce Army replacements, build statics divisions.

Turn 2 - My attacks reduce it to 30%

Now after receiving my turn 2 results I compare the way the individual division effectiveness go from start turn 1 to end turn 2.

This to estimate the starting effectiveness of that army force in turn 3.

Now, and this is what I don't understand:

All the individual division seem to get reduced differently in between turns.

4 division are reduced by 6%, 8 divisions are reduced by 2%, 4 are reduced by 1% and the remainder is increased by 2%.

They are in a city - no weather effects reduce this.

Huge stockpiles expected to be present - no attrition because of no GEN

No other player is attacking this army force.

The increase must be replacements

Who has a wise view on this? How do you deal with large static armies?

Ofcourse I can give a rough estimate, say, decrease of 3%. And base my next turn attacks on that.

Marc

Hi Marc,

The information you have provided, is a good start, but not enough to determine the results you want. would need to know all the types involved, effectiveness, experience levels, fixed fortifications, training and leadership present.

Basically,

As Russ :) , would say all of the information is in the rules.

In my experience, having played many games of victory, I have come to the following conclusion.

The best way to destroy a computer controlled city is.

1. overwhelming airstrikes, the more the better.

a. till the rules are changed, airpower is the most effective and cost effective way to destroy divisions.

2. An army suited to attacking a city, mostly non-armored divisons.

3. Bettering training and leadership then the computer player.

4. try to destroy them out in the province first, not letting them retreat.

Just a general guideline.

As for the the combat results you mentioned. Not enough info to clarify the next set of possible results.

The computer builds only static and AAA divisions, plus support fixed defenses. Do not think he increases training, would be left over from human player.

the combat losses he suffers and replaces, vary on the experience and effectiveness level. Like the rules state, one division, either attacking or defending. Is considered the lead or point divison, a few extra percentage points are lost to those divisions. Compared to the rest. The fortifications and dsm of the divisions also effect losses, both plus and minus. Static usually are 1.2-1.5 dsm so they take extra damage.

The replacements, are based on first experince, then effectiveness.

example

2 - line (34%, 32%) 2- veteran (29%, 31%), 1- green (10%)

the veteran would be replaced first then the line and finally green. For that turn.

Because you have to remember when a unit gets replacements the experince can and usually drop.

Say in the above example, you can only replace two divisions worth, after replacements the following would be true.

2 - green (10%, 100%) 3 - line (100%, 34%, 32%).

the two veteran going to line and green based on losses being above a certain percent.

lose 1 level after dropping below 50%, 2 levels after drooping below 30%

The process is repeated after each turn of combat and replacements.

*note - if a division say veteran at 29% gets only a few points of replacements say back up to 37%, he would still lose the two levels. The program assumes full replacement values for experience even though they are not totally replaced.

THis is just a general outline of what the rules say, there is a lot more to understand. The best way to learn is with experince playing the game.

If you have further questions

e-mail me and I will try and help as best I can

DezertCamel :)

Great post by DezertCamel - I'll chip in on a couple items.

The replacements, are based on first experince, then effectiveness.

example

2 - line (34%, 32%) 2- veteran (29%, 31%), 1- green (10%)

the veteran would be replaced first then the line and finally green. For that turn.

Because you have to remember when a unit gets replacements the experince can and usually drop.

And of a given experience group...the most heavily damaged one would draw replacements first.

A tactics note - computer-run positions tend to build a regular amount of AR/IR each turn if ARM is avaialble (they don't adjust to demand as a player might). Given time they will build up a large stockpile of replacements and may seem to building 100% of the replacements they need when they are actually just drawing down their stockpiles.

Be careful about executing a city assault too soon - if your initial assault is rebuffed and the city still has adequate replacements on hand, you could end up facing them completely reconstituted on the following turn...and with more experience :)

Keep them under constant pressure with air strikes (which will accelerate the depletion of their replacements) and, if they are deployed to a province with weather attrition...consider leaving them in the field for a bit. The weather attrition will draw off replacements as well. When you see that they are not completely replacing their losses every turn then you'll know that they are down to using whatever replacements they produce and the stockpiles are gone.

They will be in a deliberate defense and the city will have fortifications if possible (built early or built by computer if CP is available). Fixed defenses will be built up to a level that relates to the POP level of the city and the computer will attempt to maintain this (expect heavier fixed defenses in areas with high population).

Hope that helped,

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

My experience with computer controlled cities is negative. I followed everyone's advice and pounded the heck out of a neutral city for 3 turns. THis was 2 groups of my aircraft (23 sqdns) and 1 group from a 2d country (20 sqdns).

Wouldn't you know it that we killed 18 divs. But when I advanced the very next turn, there were 4 MECH and 4 STAT waiting for me! And everytime I attack the city by air I lose 2-300 aircraft.

Same with an AA used on the same turn. I pounded that city coastal defenses 3 times over 5 turns and learned that I had eliminated all CHABs and CLABs. Next turn when I went to AA, there were 50 CLAB and 20 CHAB waiting for me.

Grrrrrr. The only effective method seems to me to TAS like crazy then attack with a larger army!

:cheers:

Yes,

You have to attack, the same turn you do the airstrikes, or CB the port city. Otherwise the computer will build what it can the next turn. :o

If he runs before you, more stuff to destroy first. :(

If not then it would be okay, should be empty or reduced to what it was after last attack. :cheers:

DezertCamel :robot:

If he runs before you, more stuff to destroy first. :o

If not then it would be okay, should be empty or reduced to what it was after last attack. :(

Note that computer-controlled positions always run last on the final day of a given tech period so you can always expect them to build as best they can in between your turns.

If the position is inactive but not actually under the control of the computer yet (i.e. player isn't submitting turns but the position hasn't been inactive long enough for the computer to take over) then you may see one or more turn cycles go by with no reaction by the enemy.

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

ShadowKitsune,

There is no 'board'with active and/or inactive countries. One of the indications can be that a country suddenly has its privacy option envoked, but some countries have that from the start.

An other indications is a lot of static divisions, most likely on Deliberate Defence.

Norbert

• 3 weeks later...
Yes,

You have to attack, the same turn you do the airstrikes, or CB the port city. Otherwise the computer will build what it can the next turn. :)

If he runs before you, more stuff to destroy first. :cheers:

If not then it would be okay, should be empty or reduced to what it was after last attack. :(

DezertCamel :D

Do computer controlled positions follow a particular "Defensive Style"? I tried to look up computer controlled positions is the Rules and couldn't find anything about them.

I guess my questions are:

1. What do computer controlled positions build? Frontier? AAA? HAA? LAA? CHAB? CLAB? LDB? Planes? Trains? Automobiles?

2. Do computer controlled positions build additional Industries? Rail capacity?

3. Do computer controlled positions accept Political Action Proposals?

Thanks,

Ken

Do computer controlled positions follow a particular "Defensive Style"?  I tried to look up computer controlled positions is the Rules and couldn't find anything about them.

I guess my questions are:

1. What do computer controlled positions build? Frontier? AAA? HAA? LAA? CHAB? CLAB? LDB?  Planes? Trains? Automobiles?

2. Do computer controlled positions build additional Industries?  Rail capacity?

3. Do computer controlled positions accept Political Action Proposals?

Computer controlled positions are purely defensive in nature. They will not initiate offensive operations of any kind and most of their ground forces will be found in a deliberate defense mode.

1. They'll build all types of fixed defenses (amounts based on the population of the local city) and they'll build static ground units (Frontier and AAA/Flak units). They will also dedicate a certain amount of ARM into replacements (which will be drawn up or stockpiled against future need). Ground forces will also draw up supplies as available and as needed. With regards to air and naval units, they'll scrap off offensive air units (bombers) but keep any defensive ones (fighters) that were available when the computer assumed control. If fighters were on intercept/fighter cover missions, they'll stay on those missions and replacements will be drawn up as available. Air units draw supply normally. Naval units will be untouched (they'll fight if attacked and continue to execute defensive NMI orders if possible).

2. They'll build up fortifications and certain types of industry (ARM, GEN, MUN, FUEL) while scrapping off others (AIR, SHIP). They won't rebuild/expand rail capacity.

3. They'll readily accept Non-Aggression Pact proposals and Peace proposals and they'll actively attempt to Force Peace on their enemies.

Computer-controlled positions run on the last day of a given turn cycle after all player turns have processed (this run also increments the tech period and thus marks the end one turn cycle and the beginning of the next).

Russ