Rolling Thunder Forums

Victory! Map Program

I know it's popular, so I've been looking into creating a program that can do some stuff with the Victory! map.

Just sent a small demo of what I can do so far to Russ, which basically is to assign different colors to provinces based on information in a database. I imported some data from the setup turn results, so I can draw some pretty maps of those, but to make a really useful program I need to know what you guys need the most. So.... bring it on! Please be realistic though, my main concern is what to use as a data source. I can use your latest turn results, I could maybe even include turn results of others, but the main problem is how to deal with old data. After how long do we assume data to be out-of-date? And how do I store all this data?

Hope to make a useful tool out of this....

Hamish

I've got some ideas, although I've no idea how feasible they are.

Basically, I use a map (which currently is a collection of printed copies of sections of the map) for two things:

Visually manage my economy

----------------------------------

I mark all my AIC-1 cities, and I draw (color coded) directional connection lines between these and other provinces. One set of connections is the configuration of each AIC, where the links point towards each province' AIC uplink. The second set of connections represent my predefined transport links between the AIC-1 hubs. Those, too, are uni directional, as I use a custom file (with the same layout as a regular turn file) to store my transport links as MCR "orders".

Visually manage my force deployments

---------------------------------------------

I mark the locations of bases, where my air forces and navies are, and, most importantly, where my armies are located. That helps with planning of military operations.

It would be lovely, if your map app could read and parse a result file, and automatically mark those assets visually on the map.

I've got some ideas, although I've no idea how feasible they are.

Basically, I use a map (which currently is a collection of printed copies of sections of the map) for two things:

Visually manage my economy

----------------------------------

I mark all my AIC-1 cities, and I draw (color coded) directional connection lines between these and other provinces. One set of connections is the configuration of each AIC, where the links point towards each province' AIC uplink. The second set of connections represent my predefined transport links between the AIC-1 hubs. Those, too, are uni directional, as I use a custom file (with the same layout as a regular turn file) to store my transport links as MCR "orders".

Visually manage my force deployments

---------------------------------------------

I mark the locations of bases, where my air forces and navies are, and, most importantly, where my armies are located. That helps with planning of military operations.

It would be lovely, if your map app could read and parse a result file, and automatically mark those assets visually on the map.

Those sound like feasible goals. Color coding is easier than adding tokens on the map, but I think that should be possible as well.