Rolling Thunder Forums

Foods to build troops with

T'Aleen Empire

:P Ok hello folks,

Now this might have been covered before, or maybe on the old board...but I feel that the isse of what actually makes up Food Concentrates should be altered for those that elected to have other digestive needs.

Example my race eats only plants, so why do I have to use Meats still to actually make Food Consentrates? Shouldn't the code be modified for the choice I made when I set up my race? What did that -100 pts get me?

Pete/Russ...any comments on this issue?

:robot:

It seems that a lot of things in this game make no sense based on their label, but make lots of sense in terms of their functionality. For example being able to travel in hyperspace but not knowing how to build a truck! Obviously the intent is to have a tech that augments transportation infrastructure for one's army. The Food Concentrates thing is there, I think, for balance. We all have to pay the same for ground forces. It is also an attempt at modeling reality. It is very expesive to train, equip, and feed a standing army. Hense the hoops and hurdles required to get the food. I suppose the problem isn't the system so much as the names of the requirements. It would make more sense to call razor wire First Gen Security tech, but hey I didn't right the code, and I see the logic behind it.

I think it is some sort of mythical beast that eats that mythical substance called razor wire I think :P

/Locklyn

Heck, I still get confused by the fact that in this game, you harvest lumber from a forest and turn it into timber to build things, instead of the other way around. My dictionary says that timber is "dressed wood used for building" and lumber is "timber that is cut into boards and planks." So why would you re-form the boards and planks into timber logs to build with? Oh, well - the universe is a crazy place... :P

:angry2: Well actually thinking about this some more, another element accures to me, the formula for food should also take into account a 'race' size as well too.

Thus a Plant eater should have NO meat requirement but maybe twice the amount of Plant Stuff. Then if a race was say the smallest size, maybe they have a -50% decrease in the amount of base resources to make the food concentrates. It does make sense, a race's diet should effect what they need to make the food and a race's size should define how much food is need.

You know, the lumber/timber thing has always bugged me too. I wrote it off to a tiny bug, just like the fact that for Improved Construction Materials you don't need Improved Timber :blink:

Actually, that quirk was a database error that Pete decided to let stand since many people had started to build Improved CMs with just Improved Steel. FWIW. I thought it was a good call at the time. :(

:blink: Well actually thinking about this some more, another element accures to me, the formula for food should also take into account a 'race' size as well too.

Thus a Plant eater should have NO meat requirement but maybe twice the amount of Plant Stuff. Then if a race was say the smallest size, maybe they have a -50% decrease in the amount of base resources to make the food concentrates. It does make sense, a race's diet should effect what they need to make the food and a race's size should define how much food is need.

What about the Plant species? The game actually has Plantfood and Fertilizer, which don't seem to be used for anything!. :(