Rolling Thunder Forums

Why War?

CLEernest

Yes, finding the home world system may take some time. Of course, finding colonies or even the homeworld in a system is pretty easy. All you need to do is follow behind your big ships with fleets of small ships (ships at 1000 tons at pretty cheap). Even if they are only 2 AP, you could warp a fleet of such "Gnats" into a system (once your big ships secure the warp point), and then using LOTS of orders ($$$) RN the fleet to pieces and NM to all worlds in a system with a PMAP. You'll either scan the homeworld (or colony!) if it's there, or be blasted by something defending it (target aquired).

Of course, as you point out, they had better have sufficent forces to attack through the WP and hold if for quite some time .. at least two turns, likely more, fending off attacks from the home world as ships as built and are almost immediately available to attack. It will take careful planning to have a flow of reinforcements coming into the system all ready in line to keep up the pressure, till you are ready to bombard and invade the home world. Quite a challenge.

Sha'thar purrs contentedly. o O { The Gosht Kohr do not seek war. We'll just come over to where you are and get all pro-actively defensive on you. } :taz:

Strange .. With you be a non-warmonger race, I would expected you to say something along the lines of "When dinner comes into your den, it would be impolite to not to eat it". :)

Strange .. With you be a non-warmonger race, I would expected you to say something along the lines of "When dinner comes into your den, it would be impolite to not to eat it". :python:

Sha'thar licks the back of her paw, and uses it to clean her muzzle. o O { Mew Two is absoutely correct. I must invite a delegation of his species over for dinner to discuss this further... } :cheers:

• 1 month later...
One thing I've been wondering about is how the cruel and evil warmongers (and aren't they all cruel and evil :rolleyes: ) are using all the R&D knowledge garnered in the early part of the game. What I mean is, suppose someone decided to start a new empire say 10 turns ago, using all the information garnered by others in the first 25 or so turns (they were part of a group so they got lots of R&D intel).....

Isn't that exactly what some of the players from the old GSL did? Collected lots of intel on R&D and then started new empires using this info and SRP to get ecactly what they wanted?

Finding a home world is not that hard. You jump into a system and fight an orbital. Hmmm it's 200000 tons of 10cm autocannons and standard plate. I wonder if it is part of the Bastion.

You win or lose you now know the guys home system. I won. I then went fleet x nm 1, nm 2. (was going to keep going on) Made sure I was on Zulu (the peaceful setting) and BOOM. A fight at Orbit 2. Oh my..it's his home world.

I believe that sssome of the GSssL did ssstart another posssition asss their firssst one typically did not have SssRP'sss. But having read the board I have ssseen many othersss ssstart (and sssome sssadly drop their old one) new posssitionsss. But even with around 1 1/2 yearsss of intelligence it wasss very limited, we perhapsss have dented the massssssive tech chart, but not unlocked all it'sss sssecretsss.

The problem being their are sssome nice technologiesss that thossse without SssRP'sss will take an extremely long time to get while one with SssRP'sss can get them rather quickly (2G Indussstrial Ssscience, Mk II Fusssion Enginesss, etc...)

Ssso their new empiresss will quickly sssurpass the old for economic'sss (30% IC bonusss and the ablitity to have 8 AP Colonizer ssshipsss with a higher pop growth...) and have a deeper draw from the tech chartsss (getting 4G or Good itemsss long before their father empiresss can get them), the older empire will have a better race and a broader bassse of the tech chart having x number of turnsss of 25 RC'sss. So you have to pick your path/poissson.

For usss we are an older empire, not core by many turnsss, but have had about a year in this Galaxy and our focusss wasss technology and exploration (we did sssave SssRP'sss) and have found sssome fascinating technologiesss and inssstallationsss (ICE, Imperial Medical Centersss, 1G Ssspeciesss Engineering, Fanacticsss, Mk I Antimatter Engine, Nuclear Transsswarp Drive, ....) asss well asss the explore hitsss that have ssshown usss more wonderfull technologiesss out there (Dyssson Sssphere Conssstruction, Planetary Ssshield, FCSss-1 Archer Fire Control, Matter and Persssonnel Transssporter, Cloning Centersss to name jusss a few).

And of courssse there is then the dissscussssssion of putting multiple RC'sss on a project like 3rd Generation Civil Adminissstration (thisss isss currently a fringe group that would have usss wassste our perciousss resssearch centersss to get a tech quicker, we have heard that there are empiresss that do thisss all the time, our ssscientissstsss feel would ssshould find them and correct thisss atrocity :rolleyes: )

CTO, Sssarasss

Cheersssssssssss to you Sssarass :cheers:

MMB - I'm baffled on how you found a homeworld as quickly as you did. I have quite the list of systems and three neighbors (two dropped) and no sign of anything close to a homeworld in sight.

I still maintain that finding a homeworld is a tough task (unless you get lucky)....and if you have an ACTIVE player on the other end, be prepared for a dogfight :P Even if you have better tech.

For example:

I won't be shy: As most of you know, I spent all but like 23 of my SRPs.

My ship tech is vastly inferior to many of you.

And the longer I live and learn about this game, the more confident I am that my species bonuses will pay off in spades :drunk:

Spreading out early is advisable. In doing so, I have a huge buffer and warning system before any of my colonies are threatened.

By the time you DO find a perimeter colony, I'll be ready for ya unless you are super aggressive about knocking down warp points and have the engines to follow through :cheers:

Even if you accomplish THAT - can you outproduce me without building a forward base? If so: your tech will not be vastly superior to mine as it means you focused on building an economy like me at the expense of ship tech. If not: your forward base better be right next door to take advantage of your tech :cheers:

Its clear to me that defense has a HUGE advantage in this game, and I plan to maintain said advantage and let y'all experiment upon the warmongering :cheers: (Preferably in distant far off systems :lol: )