Rolling Thunder Forums

Zippo on explores

Octus Imperium

I wonder why my explores are failing. 5 of 5 found nothing this turn. And I have only run out my whimpy explorers for a couple turns now, so should NOT have exhausted finds anywhere. Could it really be just bad luck? I have Exploration as Imperial Tradition and reasonable racial research/science attributes. Only have Type A Sci labs so far, but had hoped for better finds based on everyone's comments about exploration success on the board. Any thoughts?

Octus Imperium

I wonder why my explores are failing. 5 of 5 found nothing this turn. And I have only run out my whimpy explorers for a couple turns now, so should NOT have exhausted finds anywhere. Could it really be just bad luck? I have Exploration as Imperial Tradition and reasonable racial research/science attributes. Only have Type A Sci labs so far, but had hoped for better finds based on everyone's comments about exploration success on the board. Any thoughts?

Octus Imperium

I've heard other people say that their exploration successes took a big hit this turn. Mine sure did. At least it was equal. ( I hope! )

I've heard other people say that their exploration successes took a big hit this turn. Mine sure did. At least it was equal. ( I hope! )

There was no change to exploration success chance - just a matter of luck. Heavily explored worlds do drop off in success over time, but that's nothing new.

I've heard other people say that their exploration successes took a big hit this turn.  Mine sure did.  At least it was equal. ( I hope! )

There was no change to exploration success chance - just a matter of luck. Heavily explored worlds do drop off in success over time, but that's nothing new.

Looks like all my luck this turn was bad, at least regarding exploration. Grumble Grumble :)

I've heard other people say that their exploration successes took a big hit this turn.  Mine sure did.  At least it was equal. ( I hope! )

Pete. it's not that. Almost all of my expl attempts are at my homeworld, and the last I ORBed it, 2 turns ago, it was "barely explored" or something like that (I've had about 15 hits there). The other two worlds are less explored than that, with only about 6-7 hits per world so far.

The number of comments I have heard about this has reached near 10 now, and I have never heard anyone complaining before. One person says it happened with all 4 of his empires.

Yet a few have not had the issue. I wonder if certain variables (or a certain variable) that give a bonus to EXPL's are suddenly not giving the bonus...

Between my two empires I am doing almost 80 explores in total. I copy down what I find on each world each turn, recording the tech and material finds. Looking back over the last ten turns, I see nothing to indicate any change. I'm still getting the same approximate success fail rate. It varies from turn to turn, but overall seems pretty consistant.

There is a lot of randomness in this game. You can hit runs of luck or bad luck. Two turns ago I got 4 Science Breakthroughs on one turn, followed by 2 breakthroughs the next. Before then and since, nothing. It's all random. So sit back and relax.

I remember hearing someone mention that EXPL orders were less successful at Homeworlds then they were 'out there?'

-S

The explore on my homeworld looks like other worlds .. except they seem to encounter that dang "Pouring over ancient records you discover" message about the old T'Kon empire. Since I've hit that on the homeworld a total of 15 times .. that makes HW explores less successful as it keeps getting in the way. Still, I assigned two exploration fleets to the HW to make up for it. I'm up to 14 special finds (like Cathedrals, deserted colonies, and the like) on the HW now. And still barely explored! :lol:

Having a Bachelor of Science with a major in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics you can imagine how obsessed I am with tracking and analyzing the results from my turns. What I have found with my Homeworld was, it has only received 2 "hits" less than the average from the other planets in the system. I blame the results on 2 factors. The first ship to do EXPL orders on my Homeworld was an upgraded Bastion that currently has about half the science equipment that my explorer ships have. When I added another EXPL Ship to the fleet the success rate doubled. The second factor could be the type of planet my Homeworld is, there is another planet almost identical (except no atmosphere. :) ) and its successes are equal to the Homeworld.