Rolling Thunder Forums

Wishing On A Star

Fluffy Bunny Feet

Pete -- some star systems are listed as Binaries (or more) star systems. Yet the survey only lists the Stellar Primary. I am guessing any planets orbit the Steller Primary as well.

I've always wondered if this listing of Binary, Trinary, and more is simply for flavor in the game. Or, will there be some way to eventually get to the other stars, which could also have planets? Again, just guessing, it appears to be flavor in the game (though it might impact some higher level tech we are not aware of).

So Pete .. do those other stars other than the one we survey actually exist as places we can get to?

Pete -- some star systems are listed as Binaries (or more) star systems. Yet the survey only lists the Stellar Primary. I am guessing any planets orbit the Steller Primary as well.

I've always wondered if this listing of Binary, Trinary, and more is simply for flavor in the game. Or, will there be some way to eventually get to the other stars, which could also have planets? Again, just guessing, it appears to be flavor in the game (though it might impact some higher level tech we are not aware of).

So Pete .. do those other stars other than the one we survey actually exist as places we can get to?

WKE,

In a multiple star system one of the other stars is a companion(s) to the primary. A common combination is WD/Giant...one form of Nova involves the WD companion sucking material off its neighbor until an explosion occurs (not necessarily a full-blown Nova). ;)

Here's the first site I found on Google:

http://www.astronomical.org/astbook/binary.html

If there are planets, it is one planetary system not two or more, even if there are multiple stars.

I think it would be nice color in the game to have more info on the binary/trinary systems -- especially as certain binary types would radically alter the point terrain -- but overall there is little in game effect from non-single star systems.

Lord Xaar

"Binary/Trinary/Quaternary etc is just flavor for ship movement purposes (no other planets), but that star system status was used during galaxy creation for a variety of purposes."

I would bet that it has something to do with how jump connections were laid out. At least.

Did any of you ever play 2300 A.D.? I always liked the way they managed jump travel. Using a more-or-less accurate map of the stars near Sol and then allowing jumps of up to 7.7 light years, but no more. It took a 3D map and spread it out into a 2D map of very restricted jump connections. A lot like what I am seeing in Supernova. Funny thing in 2300 AD is that it was about 20 jumps to Sirius. Sirius is about 8-9 light years from Sol so you couldn't make it in one jump. To actually get there was an extremely circuitous route.

--Russ (the other one)

I actually loved the old Outreach game by SPI. I still have that somewhere. It was great for making up your own space empire games. Great galaxy map. I wish I still had the old Mars SPI game, with planetary movement, etc.

:lol:

I did!

I still have it somewhere, along with the Starforce and Star Soldier(?) games which are still in their boxes. Now my son's older, he might be interested when I dig them out.

I took the 'third' of the galaxy from Outreach and constructed a whole galaxy by extrapolation from map to design to coloured hexes on polystyrene big hexes, which tesselated. I even took it to school every week at one point.

When doing programming for fun on my state of the art Amstrad 1640 ECD with 20Mb HD :drunk: I even coded the whole galaxy and wrote many routines on the way to making up my own game. I remember many hours playing and testing out something that works just like the existing convoy orders :)

Ah, Outreach - before I even knew the PBM world existed......... :taz:

Mx