Rolling Thunder Forums

Pilot Explodes Without Explanation

EternusIV

WASHINGTON SYSTEM (AP) - An apparent emotial breakdown of a Spawn pathfinder pilot may cause complications for the increasingly silent relations between the Everlasting Spawn and Arcane Services, Inc. Hours ago, a Spawn pilot inexplicably changed his standing orders to Yankee forcing his ship to engage fire with a superior Arcane Services Inc fleet in the Washington system.

Oal Pala of the Trivu Waii Padta survey fleet, didn't stand a chance. Inside sources reveal that he had been separated from his family for well over a year and was developing an immunity to the psychological boosters that often alleviate the stresses of extended space travel. Could his depression have caused him to voluntarily change his standing orders?

"The young seed had been going through a lot," said a surviving mentor of the pilot who asked to remain anonymous. "We've got too many little fleets just hanging out with nothing to do. This was bound to happen sooner or later."

The Imperial Navy has convened to discuss the creation of a committee to look into the situation and take preventative measures to avoid future tragedies of this sort.

Officer Beai Paa was available for comment:

"We've got a terrible situation. We don't blame Arcane Services, Inc for firing back. They were doing their job...a damn fine one of it, too if you ask me. I feel sorry for the family members of Oal Pala and for the shame he may have brought to our naval outpost in Kyushu."

Commanders in the neighboring Kyushu system have refused comment until the "accident" could be more fully explained and have since reprimanded Officer Beai Paa for his comments.

"Its a shame," commented the Outpost Chaplain. "We were thrilled to see a new race! Two species sharing the same warp point for so long....what was the young man thinking? I know Oal very well. He was a good kid. I'm surprised. Valakar the Swift might not be pleased."

The Trivuu Waii Padta and 400th Wargames Fleet shared the Washington System warp point for several turns without incident.

Fleets standing by in Kyushu have been ordered to "Code Green" status and stand ready while diplomats scramble to patch relations with Arcane Services Inc

As one spawn said, "Heck - I don't know why they [Arcane Services, Inc] would be so upset...they didn't lose anybody."

Oal Pala is survived by his young wife and 2,312 Spawnlings.

=====================================================

** NAVAL BATTLE REPORT **

----- WASHINGTON [ A (White) 4 Ia ] [single Star] - Warp Point 41304 -----

** Imperial Navy Report: Fleet Order of Battle **

The Everlasting Spawn # 1728 [Trivu Nertio Trivi]

Trivu Waii Padta [ROE: Y] *Total Defense* (Fleet Tonnage: 12,000)

Deploy Location 7] 1 FS Pathfinder (Fleet Scout - 12,000 tons [each])

** DESTROYED **

Fire Control: Fair .. Maneuverability: Lumbering .. Sensors: Average .. Shields: None .. Structural Integrity: Sturdy

1 10cm Autocannon (Projectile) .... 1,200 Standard Hull Plate .... 1 Type A Defense Screen

Arcane Services, Incorporated # 2942 [An Ornate Gilt-Framed Mirror]

400th Wargames Fleet [ROE: R] *Column Attack* (Fleet Tonnage: 10,000)

Cargo Bays: ... 2,000 ...

[Deploy Location 1] 10 CO Controled Chaos (Corvette - 1,000 tons [each])

-

Fire Control: Phenomenal .. Maneuverability: Clumsy .. Sensors: Average .. Shields: None .. Structural Integrity: Average

20 10cm Autocannon (Projectile) .... 1,000 Standard Hull Plate

An Everlasting Spawn Pathfinder is picked apart by a swarm of Arcane Services, Incorporated Corvettes

Freind Eternus

Send out condolences to all the young Pilots family, it is a sad thing when madness and death take on so young and with so much to live for. May the light of Yamal shine on him and his family

Witch King T'Lariss the Great

(OOC Well written , and as good an explination for a test battle as I have seen)

HERMIT'S INTERCEPTED TRANSMISSION REVEALS POSSIBLE FOULPLAY

Kyushu (AP) - According to a fugitive hermit in Kyushu, the recovery of the "black box" from the Trivu Waii Padta survey fleet might present baffling evidence before the Extended Duty Morale Committee in regards to the investigation of Oal Pala's alleged suicide.

A news conference was held moments ago with stifling results. Nearly every question was answered: "We cannot disclose the contents of the black box findings at this time. The report from the Hermit is a fallacy."

The Spawn Media first became aware of the suspicious black box when a code-red communication was intercepted by a hermit on one of Kyushu's desolate colonies.

Apa Kapqa, Cycle 54,121, has been living on Kyushu-Colony-Beta for nearly 3,800 cycles. He is a former Navy communications engineer and studies intergalactic wavelengths as a hobby.

The following statements were made in an interview with Apa a little over a week ago.

"I'm ex-Navy-Comm. I tinker with space waves in my spare time. I study binary stars and have a side interest in stellar evolution. I received the transmission from the direction of the Washington System shortly before the story of that young pilot broke out," stated Apa.

"I keep an archive of the signals I collect. I've recorded three transmissions about the young pilot: one transmission shortly before his death, and two transmissions since. The first transmission was sent from somewhere PAST the Washington System and it wasn't in a language I could understand, so I forwarded it to the Imperial Navy. Hey - once a Starpilot, always a Starpilot. I messed around with a translation algorithm and the only thing I could come up with was: 'The Kernel is in Play'"

Apa continued, "The two transmissions I received after the accident were strange. One was in Spawn language, the other in alien code. The one I could understand discussed the contents of that blackbox...and that the young pilot was dead well BEFORE the ship went into 'Yankee' mode. The second transmission is unintelligible. I've never heard anything like it at all and it was different from the other alien code."

Apa sighed as he was packing his bags, "If you ask me, Kyushu won't be a nice place to stay any longer. I'm moving on. Three messages from perhaps three different empires....that spells trouble in any language."

The Imperial Navy has denied Apa's story in total and has issued an APB for his arrest.

Apa's whereabouts remain unknown. Apa's military record is flawless and decorated. Apa has never been convicted of a single crime. Apa has no surviving seed of record.

Events like these worry me. :) A situation like this could easly caus a war, although I cetinaly hope not. Pass on my condolences to his family.

However if this move was intensional I don't belive it was wise. A.S.Inc. is a powerful empire. I wouldn't want to fight them.

HERMIT'S INTERCEPTED TRANSMISSION REVEALS POSSIBLE FOULPLAY

Kyushu (AP) - According to a fugitive hermit in Kyushu, the recovery of the "black box" from the Trivu Waii Padta survey fleet might present baffling evidence before the Extended Duty Morale Committee in regards to the investigation of Oal Pala's alleged suicide.

A news conference was held moments ago with stifling results. Nearly every question was answered: "We cannot disclose the contents of the black box findings at this time. The report from the Hermit is a fallacy."

The Spawn Media first became aware of the suspicious black box when a code-red communication was intercepted by a hermit on one of Kyushu's desolate colonies.

Apa Kapqa, Cycle 54,121, has been living on Kyushu-Colony-Beta for nearly 3,800 cycles. He is a former Navy communications engineer and studies intergalactic wavelengths as a hobby.

The following statements were made in an interview with Apa a little over a week ago.

"I'm ex-Navy-Comm. I tinker with space waves in my spare time. I study binary stars and have a side interest in stellar evolution. I received the transmission from the direction of the Washington System shortly before the story of that young pilot broke out," stated Apa.

"I keep an archive of the signals I collect. I've recorded three transmissions about the young pilot: one transmission shortly before his death, and two transmissions since. The first transmission was sent from somewhere PAST the Washington System and it wasn't in a language I could understand, so I forwarded it to the Imperial Navy. Hey - once a Starpilot, always a Starpilot. I messed around with a translation algorithm and the only thing I could come up with was: 'The Kernel is in Play'"

Apa continued, "The two transmissions I received after the accident were strange. One was in Spawn language, the other in alien code. The one I could understand discussed the contents of that blackbox...and that the young pilot was dead well BEFORE the ship went into 'Yankee' mode. The second transmission is unintelligible. I've never heard anything like it at all and it was different from the other alien code."

Apa sighed as he was packing his bags, "If you ask me, Kyushu won't be a nice place to stay any longer. I'm moving on. Three messages from perhaps three different empires....that spells trouble in any language."

The Imperial Navy has denied Apa's story in total and has issued an APB for his arrest.

Apa's whereabouts remain unknown. Apa's military record is flawless and decorated. Apa has never been convicted of a single crime. Apa has no surviving seed of record.

Was this all on the turn sheet? must be a big, big PDF

TWO MIA PITA CLASS CORVETTE VESSELS ORDERED INTO WASHINGTON SYSTEM

KYUSHU (AP) - Vice Admiral Ciirhs Brrema announced that two Mia Pita Class Corvettes were ordered into the neighboring Washington system to re-establish recon duty for the late Oal Pala.

"We are in communication with the Prime Employee of Arcane Services, Inc. and they are aware of the maneuver. We intend no hostilities. We will update you with the results of their re-entry into the Washington System within the week," declared Brrema.

The Mia Pita class corvette serves as an early-warning picket ship. Over 300 are currently in service throughout various regions of Spawn soverignty.

When asked about the specific design of the Mia Pita, Brrema replied, "You will see in due time Its nothing breathtaking, I assure you."

• 2 weeks later...

COMBAT EXERCISES TO CONTINUE IN WASHINGTON SYSTEM - PALA INVESTIGATION DELAYED

KYUSHU (AP) -- The Department of Naval Affairs released the combat results for the latest combat exercises with Arcane Services Inc in the Washington System.

"We are very pleased with the first results," replied Vice Admiral Ciirhs Brrema in a very short press conference. "The unplanted expeditions went smoothly. In essence, we sent a single 1,000 ton ship into occupied space to engage ten 1,000 ton ships. The designs vary. The results are being released later this afternoon."

The Imperial Navy decided to only send in one unplanted fleet to engage in exercises in lieu of the anticipated two fleets.

"We'll be sending nine in next time," replied Star Pilot Rqau Ada. When asked if the ships were to contain actual pilots, Ada refused to comment.

Several sources within the Imperial Navy suggest that the investigation into the mysterious death of Oal Pala has ceased and that the accounts of ex-navy comm, Apa Kapqa, are completely false.

"Isn't it hard enough on Oal Pala's family as it is without all these questions? It was a tragic suicide: nothing more," scolded one officer who refused to give her name.

One of our reporters received an ominous warning from an 'agent' at the Imperial Navy: "Further lines of quesitoning into alien transmissions other than those from Arcane Services Inc could possibly result in the loss of your journalistic privileges."

** NAVAL BATTLE REPORT **

WASHINGTON [ A (White) 4 Ia ] [single Star] - Warp Point 41304 -----

The Everlasting Spawn # 1728 [Trivu Nertio Trivi]

Mia Pita O [ROE: Y] *Total Defense* (Fleet Tonnage: 1,000)

[Deploy Location 7] 1 CO Mia Pita (Corvette - 1,000 tons [each])

** DESTROYED **

Fire Control: Minimal .. Maneuverability: Slow .. Sensors: Blind .. Shields: Energized .. Structural Integrity: Average

2 Mk I Force Shield .... 1 Mk I Lightning Arc Generator (Energy Discharge)

Arcane Services, Incorporated # 2942 [An Ornate Gilt-Framed Mirror]

400th Wargames Fleet [ROE: R] *Column Attack* (Fleet Tonnage: 10,000)

Cargo Bays: ... 2,000 ...

[Deploy Location 1] 10 CO Controled Chaos (Corvette - 1,000 tons [each]

** 1 DESTROYED **

Fire Control: Phenomenal .. Maneuverability: Clumsy .. Sensors: Average .. Shields: None .. Structural Integrity: Average

20 10cm Autocannon (Projectile) .... 1,000 Standard Hull Plate

A swarm of Arcane Services, Incorporated Corvettes pick apart an Everlasting Spawn ship, which manages to get a lucky Lightning Arc Generator strike off, destroying one of the ASI vessels